• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheHSRailFan

Two posts by Freel07 on Skyscrapercity containing numerous recent photos in the Ashton-u-L and Droylesden area.

Certainly great seeing the electrification progressing in that area. Really hoping once they are done with that Ashton part they will then get on with Stalybridge to Guide Bridge.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Viewed Victoria-Stalybridge today.
Looks like full wiring is in place up to just short of the M60 bridge, and an earth wire continues past Ashton station.
Most steelwork is up before Stalybridge crossovers (also on the adjacent Guide Bridge line), but no steelwork in Stalybridge station yet.
No wiring on the branch turnouts as far as I can see.
Looking good.

59CosG95

Established Member
Viewed Victoria-Stalybridge today.
Looks like full wiring is in place up to just short of the M60 bridge, and an earth wire continues past Ashton station.
Most steelwork is up before Stalybridge crossovers (also on the adjacent Guide Bridge line), but no steelwork in Stalybridge station yet.
No wiring on the branch turnouts as far as I can see.
Looking good.
The recent bevy of photos on Skyscrapercity certainly corroborate that, in the Berry Brow area and from Gartside eastwards.

A good bit of the first run of wire is up until just before Miles Platting, but is the gap from Miles Platting to Berry Brow closed yet?

snowball

Established Member
Press release

People in Elland are being reminded to take extra care when using Brickyard level crossing , which sits between Cromwell Bottom Nature Reserve and Booth Royd Lane in Elland Lower Edge, as more trains pass through as part of the Transpennine Route Upgrade.

The important message to stop and check in both directions for oncoming trains, before crossing over the track is reiterated as traffic along the line is set to increase.

Additional rail services between Manchester and Huddersfield are using the Calder Valley line, which Elland level crossing intersects, while work takes place on the Transpennine route.

People intending to use the level crossing are urged to take extra care as more trains pass through the area on weekends from 18-19 February until 4-5 March, from 15-16 April until 29-30 and on the weekend of 20-21 May.

For 26 days, from Saturday 11 March to Wednesday 5 April, additional trains will also run through the crossing.

This work is part of the Transpennine Route Upgrade, a multi-billion-pound programme of railway upgrades to enable faster, more reliable, greener service between Manchester and York, Leeds and Huddersfield.

Over the last few years, the railway on the Calder Valley line has been upgraded to enable these extra trains to run. -This work was crucial in increasing line resilience and capacity and bringing long-term benefits to passengers on the route – as well as enabling trains to divert onto the line during major works on the Transpennine route.

The 26-day period mentioned is presumably the Stalybridge closure.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Can someone enlighten me of what will happen with Batley station? I understand that the existing subway between the platforms will be filled in and replaced with an overbridge to get rid of the ‘Batley Bump’ but not much else.

I was under the impression that plans for Batley station itself hadn't been finalised (or at least made public), but given the other work taking place in the area over the coming months I expect it isn't too far away.

There have been various suggestions over the years for Batley, from moving the platforms back in order to put them on loops, to relocating the platforms beyond the Soothill Road bridge, to a combination of the two. Realistically you couldn't do the former without doing the latter to some extent- due to the viaduct.
As far as I'm aware there are no plans for additional trackwork in the area other than the above-mentioned crossover. What will definitely be included is a footbridge (with step-free access) to replace the existing stepped subway. Presumably this will also include filling in said subway and correcting the infamous bump!

Page 25 of the TRU OBC dated November 2018 refers to "Batley Station relocation"

So presumably moving it towards Soothill lane bridge and onto the straight section! Although having said this CGIs from the PWI seminar posted a while back do show a footbridge to the south of the existing subway.

snowball

Established Member
press release

Passengers travelling between Manchester and Leeds are being reminded to plan ahead as the Transpennine Route Upgrade pushes ahead with its biggest piece of work so far in Stalybridge.

From Saturday 11 March to Wednesday 5 April, services between Manchester and Leeds will be diverted via the Calder Valley route, with supporting rail replacement buses on hand to keep passengers on the move.

Passengers travelling across the Pennines should allow extra time and plan ahead using the National Rail Journey Planner or their train operator’s website.

Engineers will work around the clock over 26 days to deliver a package of upgrades to the railway line in Stalybridge. This is the largest phase of work delivered by the programme so far and includes remodelling track, installing over 2km of new track and 23 new signals, upgrading 13 crossovers and fitting new overhead line equipment, which will improve journeys along this key route.

All this forms part of the multi-billion-pound Transpennine Route Upgrade, which is set to revolutionise rail travel in the North, better connecting towns and cities through more frequent, faster trains, running on a cleaner, greener and more reliable railway.

Hannah Lomas, Industry Programme Director for Transpennine Route Upgrade, said: “These upgrades at Stalybridge will mark a significant milestone for the entire programme, bringing us one step closer to faster, greener and more reliable journeys across the North of England.

“We have worked closely with train operators on the route, Northern and TransPennine Express, to make sure that there is a robust plan in place to keep passengers on the move. There will be rail diversions and a mix of express and stopping rail replacement buses between Manchester and Huddersfield, so we’re asking passengers to plan ahead and check before travelling.”

Chris Nutton, Major Projects Director for TransPennine Express, said: “These upgrade works are a vital step towards delivering faster, more reliable and sustainable services between Manchester and York.

"Whilst the engineering work takes place around Stalybridge there will be a number of changes to TransPennine Express services across our network - and we’d advise our customers to check carefully for the latest advice before they travel on our website www.tpexpress.co.uk/travel-updates/changes-to-train-times. Updates will also be available on our social media channels. Our teams across from across the industry will be on hand at stations to assist customers with their journeys.”

Rob Warnes, Strategic Development Director for Northern, said: “We’d like to thank our customers for their patience whilst Stalybridge station is closed for this work. These upgrades will pave the way for Northern to run faster, greener electric trains to Stalybridge in the future. We’re working hard to keep our customers moving throughout the duration of the closure, and we’d like to remind customers to check before they travel.”

Additional preparation work will also take place before and after the 26 days, including on 25/26 February, 4/5 March, 15/16 April, 22/23 April, 29/30 April and 20/21 May. Passengers should check before they travel for the latest updates.

Following completion of this phase of work, trains will be able to move through Stalybridge station faster and more reliably. This is just one component of the wider Transpennine Route Upgrade, which will electrify the whole route between Manchester and York via Huddersfield and Leeds, bringing the line into the 21st century with 70 miles of fully electric, digital railway.

ENDS
Notes to Editors

Detailed travel information

Rail replacement buses will keep passengers moving between Manchester Piccadilly and Huddersfield, Manchester Airport and Huddersfield via Stockport, and Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge. Trains between Marsden and Leeds via Huddersfield will run as normal, calling at all intermediate stations.

Northern:

Trains which run between Southport / Wigan North Western and Stalybridge will start / terminate at Manchester Victoria.

Rail replacement buses will run between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge.

TransPennine Express:

No trains will run via Stalybridge.

A limited service will run on alternative routes between:

Liverpool Lime Street - Newcastle.
Manchester Victoria and Saltburn.

Marsden and Leeds (stopping service).

Replacement buses will run between:

Huddersfield and Manchester Piccadilly (fast and stopping)
Huddersfield and Manchester Airport via Stockport.

Industrial action

Strike action has been announced by the RMT on the following dates:

Thursday 16 March
Saturday 18 March
Thursday 30 March
Saturday 1 April

59CosG95

Established Member
Are the workers going on strike or is it just the tocs?
Fairly sure both are striking on the 16th, with just the TOCs striking on the other announced days.
NR are also putting an overtime ban into effect from that date.

However, as most of the work will be carried out by contractors (and will start before the strike dates), with NR's presence being made at a managerial level (for handback and so on), I don't think the Stalybridge blockade will be affected.

Greybeard33

Established Member
That's a bit poorly worded. It says:

But then also says:

So which is it? :rolleyes:
Agreed poorly worded, but I think it can be inferred that the Leeds - Huddersfield stopper will run to the normal timetable, but continue to Marsden (where it will reverse) in the path of the Huddersfield - Piccadilly stopper (so an "alternative route", i.e. Leeds - Marsden, but a "normal" service at the intermediate stations). Overall this is a "limited service" in that there is no rail service west of Marsden and no fasts between Leeds and Huddersfield.

Kieran1990

Agreed poorly worded, but I think it can be inferred that the Leeds - Huddersfield stopper will run to the normal timetable, but continue to Marsden (where it will reverse) in the path of the Huddersfield - Piccadilly stopper (so an "alternative route", i.e. Leeds - Marsden, but a "normal" service at the intermediate stations). Overall this is a "limited service" in that there is no rail service west of Marsden and no fasts between Leeds and Huddersfield.
Hourly Hull-Hudds which will be a fast. But means only a half hourly service between LDS-HUD, half of the normal service

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
NR are also putting an overtime ban into effect from that date.

For clarity, it is RMT who have arranged the overtime / rest day working ban, for RMT members (obviously!) It alternates between maintenance staff and operations staff on a week to week basis.

I don't think the Stalybridge blockade will be affected.

It won’t, at least insofar as passengers are concerned.

a1904

On the plus side, last Saturday the same service pattern operated and it was a damn sight more reliable than the usual TPE performance!
Yeah I'm expecting it to be a lot more reliable than during Morley closure as well although those Hull trains will be rammed if they ever only run them as three carriages

Batley Lad

Batley - Former Adwalton line at Lady Anne crossing. The bridge abutment is currently being excavated leaving the retaining walls in place. (Hard to photograph the progress)

Rutland Road - Piling has started for the new bridge here. Nothing started on the former Adwalton route opposite except for a piling mat.

Having watched the work progress, I assume the Adwalton bridge abutment will be fully excavated first before the piling starts on the former track bed. With the vehicles taking away excavated earth past the piling mat, I don’t think they have space to do both here at the minute.

A few of the photos below are before and after shots to give a comparison. The others are work in progress over the past few days.

First pic 20th Dec / second today

E388C523-1CD5-4709-845B-3EC649D5A45D.jpeg9AC9314D-66BD-4C1E-97E3-181AAB24CE53.jpeg

Other pictures taken this week - 4th pic shows the piling mat on the former Adwalton route.

91C75D59-1F19-47A0-B13E-CC178AD7C5E7.jpegFA2D0776-8CC0-4AF0-BE7B-791FD40D4CCB.jpeg

In general, a lot of progress being made.

Nothing much happening around Batley station at the minute. Apart from wooden matting stacked up ( I’m sure it has a proper name) waiting for a next turn of duty.

8E43B2E0-3110-4D5C-BB94-F6FF72FA7984.jpeg

snowball

Established Member
In RAIL 977, Philip Haigh's column (pp. 50-51) is on TRU. Some snippets:

Some aspects remain undecided, e.g. Option G, which adds 15 freight paths per day. [I have either forgotten, or never knew, how these would be achieved.]

Also still "in the mix" [i.e. presumably undecided] is the 4-tracking of three miles of route to Crossgates station.

Contrary to speculation on here that the track remodelling at Neville Hill is fairly imminent, it's described as "by the end of the decade". The scale of work for this is compared to the recent King's Cross remodelling. So it would seem no imminent wiring of this section.

Confirmed that Katherine Street tunnel will have its track lowered. Not explicitly stated that this will be during the upcoming Stalybridge blockade.

Confirmed that when they finally get round to the Stalybridge-Huddersfiled section, Stalybridge and Scout tunnels will have their track lowered. Claimed here that Standedge will not require track lowering, contrary to something I read somewhere recently.

Three-tracking Marsden-Huddersfield "quite likely" to be included.

jonesy3001

Established Member
In RAIL 977, Philip Haigh's column (pp. 50-51) is on TRU. Some snippets:

Some aspects remain undecided, e.g. Option G, which adds 15 freight paths per day. [I have either forgotten, or never knew, how these would be achieved.]

Also still "in the mix" [i.e. presumably undecided] is the 4-tracking of three miles of route to Crossgates station.

Contrary to speculation on here that the track remodelling at Neville Hill is fairly imminent, it's described as "by the end of the decade". The scale of work for this is compared to the recent King's Cross remodelling. So it would seem no imminent wiring of this section.

Confirmed that Katherine Street tunnel will have its track lowered. Not explicitly stated that this will be during the upcoming Stalybridge blockade.

Confirmed that when they finally get round to the Stalybridge-Huddersfiled section, Stalybridge and Scout tunnels will have their track lowered. Claimed here that Standedge will not require track lowering, contrary to something I read somewhere recently.

Three-tracking Marsden-Huddersfield "quite likely" to be included.
Might happen during the weekends before and after.

Tim_UK

There’s a compound in viaduct street in Huddersfield. Has appeared in the last few days. Not sure if it is a sign of work starting soon.

Google maps link below which shows the area before. Now fenced off with portacabins and a generator.

Batley Lad

Batley - Former Adwalton line at Lady Anne crossing. A lot of activity in this area now. The former Adwalton bridge abutment is slowly disappearing. Track side, the wooden matting has been moved from Soothill bridge to this area. Assume a night closure to do the trackside abutment work?

Rutland road - I think the main piling work here is all but finished- just grouting the piles today.

Adwalton route opposite Rutland Road - Survey work in progress for the new bridge landing point. Additionally, near to Soothill bridge, there is what appears to be a piling machine waiting it’s next job. So, not too long before this is moved up the former Adwalton alignment.

In summary, looking at the activity and progress, I would suggest in a week or so, the abutment will be reduce to its new design height. (See below image / description) Piling for the new footbridge will be done and the piling for the new retaining wall, to accommodate the new footbridge trackside pathway started.

The below image is from the Network Rail road show. To get your bearings, near side track down Huddersfield and if the image continued, Soothill over Bridge and Batley station would be in the top left corner. If the image allows, the design has a little stick man placed against the Adwalton bridge abutment for scale. This is what I meant about a new design height in this and previous posts.

1677592444737.jpeg

Adwalton Abutment Pics:

2C055891-2A87-4B62-A2D9-D08B3939B330.jpeg8F2DC40C-1744-42C4-B4A5-84730168353D.jpeg

0A530279-7073-4ABE-A748-69517AFFC98F.jpeg
A couple of long distance photos from Soothill Bridge looking back towards Lady Anne Crossing. 1st pic pre crossover and one from today.

9A726D9E-D85B-48C8-AC1A-86D65357EAA9.jpeg693F402C-D1B8-405B-981F-336727E0715E.jpeg

Meerkat

Established Member
Why isn't there going to be a direct route down to Primrose Hill from the footbridge? It looks a long old way round from there, including a long isolated alley along the tracks.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Why isn't there going to be a direct route down to Primrose Hill from the footbridge? It looks a long old way round from there, including a long isolated alley along the tracks.
It's a very steep embankment there was a retaining wall at the base straight out onto the side of the road with no pavement, no room to put one in. I imagine they couldn't make that work, although the alley definitely does not look ideal.