• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

coxxy

The new signals between Dewsbury and Morley are being plated 'SL'.

As Network Rail like using line of route signal plate identifiers (usually) for new schemes, what would SL be for?

Stalybridge - Leeds
Slaithwaite - Leeds
Springwood Jn - Leeds
Stalybridge - Leeds.

Controlled by York Roc - Huddersfield workstation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GardenRail

Yes I agree likely to be the first, In the not too distant future Huddersfield work station at York ROC will control from just west of the current Diggle Junction box to location between Ravensthorpe and Dewsbury where Leeds West takes over
Huddersfield Workstation will, from this weekend take over Batley area of control when the signal box closes. Meaning, that from this weekend, Huddersfield Workstation will control from Cottingley (fringe with Leeds West) right through upto and including Standedge Tunnel. From next year it will also control what Diggle does currently. Meaning overall control from West of Diggle, to Cottingley, and upto but not including Horbury Jn, and also upto and including Greetland Jn.

Foggycorner

Went to Stalybridge from Man Vic this morning and it is wired all the way to just short of the crossover before the station area the last wire length at staly end in nice new copper and also saw that the guide bridge line is also wired for one wire length from again just short of the crossover guide bridge side to the start of the curve before the first viaduct ,looks like both up and down lines done on ashton and guide bridge lines
on going into staly from vic we went into platform 2 bay instead of the usual platform 5 bay and I noted that both bay terminal masts have been put up

Grumpy

Nice picture, its quite impressive that a brand new station is popping up just like that!
There may even be a few car parking spaces when all the construction kit is removed as shown here-

Attachments

• IMG_7280 (2).jpg
    IMG_7280 (2).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 171

Batley Lad

Batley - Former Adwalton line at Lady Anne crossing.

Batley signal box enjoying the last of the evening sun before closing after years of service to the local community.

IMG_4537.jpeg

The new footpath and route is taking shape with handrails, lighting and tall green line side fencing in place.

IMG_4538.jpegIMG_4520.jpeg

New Footbridge

The stepped access on the Adwalton embankment has all been poured and awaits handrails and none slip treads fitting.

IMG_4539.jpeg

The Rutland road access is still work in progress with footpath kerbs reinstalled and preparation for reinstatement of the road and footpath surfaces.

IMG_4514.jpegIMG_4511.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4521.jpeg
    IMG_4521.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 114

Iskra

Established Member

Batley signal box enjoying the last of the evening sun before closing after years of service to the local community.

View attachment 137492

The new footpath and route is taking shape with handrails, lighting and tall green line side fencing in place.

View attachment 137494View attachment 137497

New Footbridge

The stepped access on the Adwalton embankment has all been poured and awaits handrails and none slip treads fitting.

View attachment 137496

The Rutland road access is still work in progress with footpath kerbs reinstalled and preparation for reinstatement of the road and footpath surfaces.

View attachment 137499View attachment 137498
I’ll miss that box, I remember waiting for permission to cross there as a lad.

snowball

Established Member
A couple of recent posts by Freel07 on SSC, with pictures of the Ashton-u-Lyne and Stalybridge areas, showing the orange glint of new copper on both the Ashton and Guide Bridge lines.

Batley Lad

The new signalling for the area is taking shape with new signal’s starting to be commissioned.

The new crossover appears to have a new signal with route indicator on both the up and down Huddersfield lines.

The first photo below is taken from Soothill overbridge looking towards Lady Anne crossing with the up Huddersfield line on your right. The new signal can be seen with speed and route indicator signage also. The second picture from the same location but looking towards Batley station. (Down Huddersfield on your right) is the second signal for the crossover recently commissioned.

IMG_4549.jpegIMG_4546.jpeg

The original signals have been removed for both up and down Huddersfield lines in this area. First pic below - Up Huddersfield used to be here ( just below Soothill over-bridge) and the second is visible in the second pic from a few days ago for the down Huddersfield line.

IMG_4548.jpegIMG_4527.jpeg

Two further signals have been commissioned in between the new footbridge and Lady Anne crossing. The photos are from Rutland Road with the near side line the down Huddersfield.

IMG_4540.jpeg

Unfortunately, I only caught a glimpse of the signal ID in this location …. I think it started with a prefix of SL but I’m not 100% on that.

Works for the new footbridge are progressing. The stepped access for the Adwalton embankment side of the footbridge are being paved and the first layers of tarmac are being laid for footpaths.

IMG_4544.jpeg

Although not quite finished, the access form Rutland Road is progressing.

IMG_4541.jpegIMG_4545.jpegIMG_4542.jpeg

Monday 19th June

The new footbridge, although not finished, opened this morning for the public. Still a lot of landscaping and other works to finish off thought.

The view from the Adwalton embankment is very impressive as you can see as far as Batley train station in one direction and the curves of the line as it’s heads towards Morley tunnel in the other.

Additionally, you get an impression of what the drivers viewed as they headed over the original Lady Anne girder bridge and crossing.

Unfortunately, you can’t see over the actual footbridge sides unless you happen to be well over six foot six ish! That said, the bridge sides do have a perforated panel which makes the slight view interesting.

A few low level pictures below taken from Howley street or up Huddersfield line side of the site.

IMG_4569.jpegIMG_4568.jpegIMG_4567.jpeg

Some photos from above!

IMG_4578.jpegIMG_4579.jpeg

And a few of the bridge walkway…

IMG_4576.jpegIMG_4587.jpeg

And the side panels….

IMG_4575.jpeg

The bridge has a 32A plate attached at trackside and the two signals are SL 4875 down Huddersfield & SL 4877 on the up Huddersfield. ( Although it is positioned for bi-directional running )

Morley Station

Had a little spare time and couldn’t resist a peak at the works here. Hard to photograph closely as the area is busy with construction traffic and personal. Anyway, a trio of photos from today showing progress on the up Huddersfield line and removal of the station platform and footbridge.

IMG_4573.jpegIMG_4572.jpeg

Additionally, in the background, the new station takes shape.

IMG_4574.jpeg

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just a query regarding the new crossover:

I was under the impression that the reason for the crossover was to allow Dewsbury to be served to/from Leeds during the big blockade through Ravensthorpe and Mirfield. If this is the case, this would mean services running "wrong road" between the crossover and Dewsbury. Have I got the wrong end of the stick here?
Related to this, from tomorrow Batley will be served by trains from Huddersfield. Will this be the first use of the new crossover? In which case, they'll presumably terminate on the Down side, switch lines via the new crossover, then restart from the Up platform. As the up side is only accessible by steps from the subway, would a passenger that can't use the steps be permitted to board on the down side and be on board for the reversing move?

GardenRail

I was under the impression that the reason for the crossover was to allow Dewsbury to be served to/from Leeds during the big blockade through Ravensthorpe and Mirfield. If this is the case, this would mean services running "wrong road" between the crossover and Dewsbury. Have I got the wrong end of the stick here?
Correct. Fully signalled bi-di to do so.

43095john

Related to this, from tomorrow Batley will be served by trains from Huddersfield. Will this be the first use of the new crossover? In which case, they'll presumably terminate on the Down side, switch lines via the new crossover, then restart from the Up platform. As the up side is only accessible by steps from the subway, would a passenger that can't use the steps be permitted to board on the down side and be on board for the reversing move?
Trains tommorow will terminate at Batley, run ECS over the new crossover To a fixed red just before Lady Anne Crossing then reverse into the Westbound Platform at Batley to run back in service to Huddersfield

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Trains tommorow will terminate at Batley, run ECS over the new crossover To a fixed red just before Lady Anne Crossing then reverse into the Westbound Platform at Batley to run back in service to Huddersfield
That mode of working started today. My question was whether someone unable to use the steps would be permitted to board on the Eastbound platform and be on board during the reversal. In normal running, the easement for those unable to use the steps is to travel to Leeds and back, for travel to Dewsbury and beyond.

Batley Lad

That mode of working started today. My question was whether someone unable to use the steps would be permitted to board on the Eastbound platform and be on board during the reversal. In normal running, the easement for those unable to use the steps is to travel to Leeds and back, for travel to Dewsbury and beyond.
I did happen to view a train arriving at platform 1 Batley today, then proceed to the turn back and then enter platform 2. The whole process was around 5 minutes.

I’ll try and see if I can view the process from the new footbridge and see if any passengers are left on board whilst undertaking the process.

IMG_4592.jpegIMG_4593.jpegIMG_4595.jpegIMG_4597.jpeg

SuperNova

Simple answer is no.

CAF397

Guess the track bashers will have to wait until the Mirfield block to cover the new crossover then!
Sunday 2nd July it will be used. York services terminating at Dewsbury.

Has a signal (presumably constantly showing danger) been installed at the western end on Dewsbury platform 1 in readiness for the Leeds to Dewsbury shuttles?
Yes, a fixed red aspect is provided just off the Huddersfield end of Dewsbury platform.

Halish Railway

Established Member

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Im Suprised how quickly its taken shape. i swear like 6 months ago it was just a shell. Amazing progress
I was similarly impressed with how White Elephant station is coming along when I went through on Friday. As much as I think it's a silly project, you can't knock the people tasked with making it happen.