• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

nlogax

Established Member
Actually yes, there was a different consistent for some of the MML tests. However, 90s are route cleared whilst 91s are not, so if used at all it would likely revert to the 90 formation similar to the GWML testing.
A related and curious side question here, how do electric locos get route-cleared on (currently) non-electrified routes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

td97

Established Member
A related and curious side question here, how do electric locos get route-cleared on (currently) non-electrified routes?
Modelling of all required lineside infrastructure using dedicated software (see Clearroute). There's a huge database of all the infrastructure and its position relative to the track. Then if "clashes" are identified, likely physical works to resolve. The electrification work takes care of pantograph clearances.
In all likelihood there shouldn't be any issues with 91s. On the other hand, 323s are awkward with low foot steps so often create clearance issues with platforms.

themiller

British railways used to run electric locos on non-electrified lines with pantographs down. I was on a train from Euston to Shrewsbury which normally saw its class 87/86 replaced by a class 47 at Wolverhampton. On this particular occasion, the snow was coming down and expected to continue so the 47 was coupled to the electric loco and hauled the entire train to Shrewsbury. I left the train at Oakengates and stepped into 2 feet of snow on the platform.
I doubt that anyone had done any sort of data review but probably looked at the relevant loco sizes and made an informed judgement.

Ken H

On Moderation
British railways used to run electric locos on non-electrified lines with pantographs down. I was on a train from Euston to Shrewsbury which normally saw its class 87/86 replaced by a class 47 at Wolverhampton. On this particular occasion, the snow was coming down and expected to continue so the 47 was coupled to the electric loco and hauled the entire train to Shrewsbury. I left the train at Oakengates and stepped into 2 feet of snow on the platform.
I doubt that anyone had done any sort of data review but probably looked at the relevant loco sizes and made an informed judgement.
quite. I saw a Cl87 and MK3's at Blea Moor.
No idea how they stopped the Cl87 raising its pan unexpectedly and going out of gauge, but there must have been a way.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It's not always foolproof.
There was an incident at Chester when a Virgin Pendolino being hauled by a class 57 managed to clout some infrastructure with its lowered pantograph.
Something similar happened to an Alstom class 373 Eurostar set being diesel-hauled on its delivery run from Washwood Heath to North Pole depot.
It happened at an overbridge somewhere near Banbury I think, must have been around 1994.

59CosG95

Established Member
It's not always foolproof.
There was an incident at Chester when a Virgin Pendolino being hauled by a class 57 managed to clout some infrastructure with its lowered pantograph.
Something similar happened to an Alstom class 373 Eurostar set being diesel-hauled on its delivery run from Washwood Heath to North Pole depot.
It happened at an overbridge somewhere near Banbury I think, must have been around 1994.
There was another 373-related incident where a northbound set somehow raised its pan again (or had its pan stuck up) after leaving the OLE; it wasn't until near the Linford Curve (IIRC) that the aforementioned pan struck a signal gantry.

nlogax

Established Member
Modelling of all required lineside infrastructure using dedicated software (see Clearroute). There's a huge database of all the infrastructure and its position relative to the track. Then if "clashes" are identified, likely physical works to resolve. The electrification work takes care of pantograph clearances.
Got it, thanks!

In all likelihood there shouldn't be any issues with 91s. On the other hand, 323s are awkward with low foot steps so often create clearance issues with platforms.
Personally I'd like to see 91s testing on the TP route. They were quite a formidable sight on the MML as part of that larger formation.

josh-j

It seems like quite a lot will be happening next week with works at Morley according to the TRU site, line closed all week.

Works at Huddersfield this weekend as well. Quite pleased to see stuff happening, it's going to be interesting once we get to the longer closures at Huddersfield (later this year? Or is that next year)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The big closure is next year.
That's not to say there aren't other significant closures in the coming weeks. Mostly weekends only but a few longer ones, Easter for instance will have a complete block at Huddersfield from Good Friday through to Easter Monday, with the only Sheffield and Manchester stoppers serving Huddersfield the following week from the Tuesday onwards.

Killingworth

Established Member
That's not to say there aren't other significant closures in the coming weeks. Mostly weekends only but a few longer ones, Easter for instance will have a complete block at Huddersfield from Good Friday through to Easter Monday, with the only Sheffield and Manchester stoppers serving Huddersfield the following week from the Tuesday onwards.
The Hope Valley South Pennine route is closed from Saturday 16th March until the early hours of Monday 25th March.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The Hope Valley South Pennine route is closed from Saturday 16th March until the early hours of Monday 25th March.
Ouch! Is that to do with sorting out Dore?

By the way, I only mentioned the shorter blocks at Huddersfield in case someone saw a knowledgeable poster saying words to the effect of "the big closure is not until next year" and assumed that meant everything running as normal. I wasn't trying to pick holes, score points, or moan. Apologies if it came off that way.

Tim_UK

At Huddersfield.
  • The buffet building is fenced in.
  • There is a lot of timber between plaforms 1 and 4 (this isn’t new)
  • Lots of activity in the car park behind the station - I think the main current work is bridge abutments for Widening over John William Street
  • There are very smart temporary toilets in a portacabin over Felix’s garden between platforms 4 and 8.
  • The Hillhouse site is completely flattened with extensive groundworks happening now. Quite a few portacabin offices here.
Further on there is some digging work near the new viaduct at Ravensthorpe. New to me, might have been there ages.

IMG_0361.jpegIMG_0360.jpegIMG_0362.jpegIMG_0363.jpegIMG_0363.jpegIMG_0364.jpegIMG_0365.jpeg

Last edited:

Spartacus

Established Member
It seems like quite a lot will be happening next week with works at Morley according to the TRU site, line closed all week.

That seemed to be quite late getting finalised, unusual having a midweek possession like that. I'd hoped there might be a Huddersfield - Batley shuttle, there's a lot of Huddersfield - Dewsbury student traffic these days, but it seems not.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I can't find it now, but I read something about Mossley station moving eastwards towards the Huddersfield direction. This allows platforms to be lengthened (both up and down), plus with a long neutral section adjacent to the terraced houses, allows departing trains to get a bit of speed up before power has to be shut off.
Has any official statement been made on the matter mentioned above since that posting was made some time ago?

AlfaPendular

What's the latest on the stalybridge lines?
Has the gap been filled at guide bridge and when will the test train visit?
I have joined this event:

An update on the project for Manchester-Stalybridge has been provided.

Plenty of interesting information. Basically:
- A OLE test train has been booked for March-April, so until then no passenger trains. In the mean time: the line is live and they are looking out for issues with the OLE and signalling.
- First electric train Man Vic to Stalybridge never before May, but both timetable changes (Summer and Dec) have been mentioned as possible options, if anything goes wrong.
- The guide bridge gap is still there and shall be the last one to be filled due to the different OLE structures. The answer given was not 100% sure that this will be done before the test train.

The session was recorded, so the recording may appear later somewhere. It was quite a good presentation.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That seemed to be quite late getting finalised, unusual having a midweek possession like that. I'd hoped there might be a Huddersfield - Batley shuttle, there's a lot of Huddersfield - Dewsbury student traffic these days, but it seems not.
Presumably there's other work taking place between Huddersfield and Heaton Lodge. Otherwise I'd have thought there would be a shuttle to Batley as you suggest, utilising the new crossover at Batley to turn back.

snowball

Established Member
Has any official statement been made on the matter mentioned above since that posting was made some time ago?
I doubt it. Work on the Stalybridge to Huddersfield section is a long way off and information is sparse.

============== automerged post =========================

Press release

The Transpennine Route Upgrade are encouraging passengers to check before they travel as engineers complete five days of work across the Transpennine Route.

Upgrades in the Morley area will include track drainage and cabling work, whilst engineers in Dewsbury will replace and enhance telecommunications networks, allowing for future signalling improvements.

Additionally, upgrades will take place in Huddersfield over this weekend (17/18 February) and next (24/25 February).

In order for this essential work to be carried out whist also keeping customers on the move, some trains will be diverted via different routes while others will be replaced by buses - passengers can check www.nationalrailenquiries.co.uk to plan their journey ahead of time.

Jonathan Hepton, Sponsor on the Transpennine Route Upgrade, said: “The works being carried out across the Morley, Batley and Dewsbury areas are an important step in the progress being made by the Transpennine Route Upgrade team.

"We’d like to extend our thanks to passengers for their understanding and would like to encourage them to plan ahead and check before they travel.”

The upgrades being carried out are part of the Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU), a multi-billion-pound programme of railway upgrades that will enable faster, more reliable, greener services for customers travelling across the Pennines.

Chris Nutton, Major Projects Director at TransPennine Express, said: “The work around Morley and Dewsbury is essential for the delivery of more reliable services for our customers, as well as the delivery of the upgraded Morley station.

“We will be running an amended timetable on our North route while these improvement works are being carried out, diverting trains between Huddersfield and Leeds. Rail replacement buses will also be in place to keep customers on the move for more local journeys. We'd like to advise customers to check before they travel.”

These upgrades bring us one step closer to a better railway serving the new Morley station and at other locations in the Dewsbury and Batley area, with wider benefits across the entire Transpennine Route to create a cleaner, greener, and more reliable railway that will bring improved connectivity and travel experiences to passengers travelling between Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds and York.
Notes to Editors

Changes to Services during Mon 19 Feb to Friday 23 Feb:
TransPennine Express:
• Services between Huddersfield – Leeds will be diverted and will not run through Dewsbury.
• Rail replacement bus services will replace services between Huddersfield – Dewsbury – Leeds.
• Services from Hull will start/terminate at Leeds.
• Services from Saltburn to Manchester Airport will start/terminate at Manchester Victoria.
• Rail replacement buses will operate between Huddersfield – Manchester Airport via Stockport

Northern:
• Services between Leeds – Wigan via Brighouse
will be diverted and will not run through Dewsbury.
• Rail replacement bus services will run between
Halifax – Brighouse – Dewsbury – Leeds

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It's going to be fun for Hull City supporters getting to Huddersfield for the football this weekend, that's for sure.

On the bright side at least they aren't being forced to pick their tickets up at Hartshead Moor Motorway Services like West Yorkshire police made them do several years back.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Is there any reason why next weekend there's no service between Man Vic and Stalybridge ?

This section of line seems to be a long way away from the works in Huddersfield.

jonesy3001

Established Member
Is there any reason why next weekend there's no service between Man Vic and Stalybridge ?

This section of line seems to be a long way away from the works in Huddersfield.
See post 7550, might have something to do with it.
Credit to Paul steane from the wnxx UK electrification, state of play thread.

Interesting lecture in Manchester this evening by two engineers from Network Rail talking about the Transpennine Route Upgrade. Specifically about the Man Vic/Guide Bridge - Stalybridge wiring:
* Man Vic - Stalybridge is complete and live but not approved for use yet.
* There's still one wire length missing at the junction with the existing wiring at Guide Bridge, that will be installed "in a few weeks".
* Then both routes need to be tested with some form of test train. March 2024?
* Then approval is needed by the ORR before passenger service can start. Expected April 2024.

Colton to Church Fenton is "nearly complete".

Some of the overbridges between Man Vic and Stalybridge have been built with the "Voltage Controlled Clearance" technique as used at Cardiff, basically this means using surge arrestor devices to absorb the energy from lightning strikes so that they don't flash over the reduced gap between the wire and the bridge structure. Use of this same technique is why the tunnel at Stalybridge and also Standedge etc. can be wired.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
See post 7550, might have something to do with it.
Credit to Paul steane from the wnxx UK electrification, state of play thread.

Interesting lecture in Manchester this evening by two engineers from Network Rail talking about the Transpennine Route Upgrade. Specifically about the Man Vic/Guide Bridge - Stalybridge wiring:
* Man Vic - Stalybridge is complete and live but not approved for use yet.
* There's still one wire length missing at the junction with the existing wiring at Guide Bridge, that will be installed "in a few weeks".
* Then both routes need to be tested with some form of test train. March 2024?
* Then approval is needed by the ORR before passenger service can start. Expected April 2024.

Colton to Church Fenton is "nearly complete".

Some of the overbridges between Man Vic and Stalybridge have been built with the "Voltage Controlled Clearance" technique as used at Cardiff, basically this means using surge arrestor devices to absorb the energy from lightning strikes so that they don't flash over the reduced gap between the wire and the bridge structure. Use of this same technique is why the tunnel at Stalybridge and also Standedge etc. can be wired.

Cheers for the update.

snowball

Established Member
Press release

Pete Sollitt has started as Managing Director of TRU West Alliance, with a crucial year ahead on the route between Manchester and Leeds.

The Transpennine Route Upgrade is a multi-billion-pound programme that will bring faster, cleaner and more reliable trains across the North of England, transforming rail travel across the Pennines.

Pete is stepping up at a vital time for TRU - the Department for Transport's recent announcement of a £3.9bn funding boost for the programme means that 2024 will see significant progress made on a number of projects between Manchester, Leeds and beyond.

Once the core benefits of the programme have been achieved, the 70 miles of railway between Manchester and York will be electrified, a new fully digital signalling system will be in place and key areas of the line will be double tracked, enabling more frequent, faster and greener trains to stop at improved, accessible stations along the route.

The Transpennine Route Upgrade follows an enterprise business model – led by TRU Managing Director Neil Holm – in a structure that consists of individual projects that are delivered via Alliances both East and West of Leeds, with Pete now overseeing operations in the west.

Pete Sollitt, newly appointed Managing Director of the TRU West Alliance, said: “I’m really excited to be joining at such a pivotal moment for the West Alliance. I recognise this is a complex, fast-moving programme with many facets.

“A key priority of mine at this early stage is to ensure that every single person working on the Alliance is safe and well. We all need to play our part in supporting a vigilant culture that protects ourselves and our colleagues.”

Pete added: “In terms of the delivery of the programme, we need to maintain and enhance our performance so that excellence becomes a habit.

“Looking at what the Alliance has achieved so far, I’m certain that we have the capability, expertise and experience required to achieve that.

“We now have the opportunity to all pull together as one team and take it to the next level – I’m looking forward to the journey ahead and the role the West Alliance will play as part of the Transpennine Route Upgrade.”

Pete joins the TRU West Alliance with a wealth of major infrastructure projects expertise after over 10 years of leading roles, most recently with the HS2 programme, where he was the Phase 2A Delivery Director.

His time within the rail industry is preceded by over two decades of senior leadership positions within the British Army, with multiple deployments in the Middle East, Balkans and West Africa.

AndyHudds

I'm assuming a second deck went on Red Doles Bridge yesterday as the footpath under the bridge over the canal was closed off yesterday much to the chagrin of a lot of football fans yesterday, leaving us with a long walk round to the stadium. There was a huge crane there and although I didn't close enough to see as we walked on Alder Street I'm guessing that was what was going on.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Press release

I suppose we must credit Rishi Sunak for freeing up the new TRU West MD from a similar position working on HS2 Phase 2a.
TRU/NPR should progress faster as a result.