• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

jonesy3001

Established Member

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240313_111116_LinkedIn.jpg
    Screenshot_20240313_111116_LinkedIn.jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 266
  • Screenshot_20240313_111124_LinkedIn.jpg
    Screenshot_20240313_111124_LinkedIn.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 271
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic08

On Moderation
They also need to complete four-tracking at some point between Leeds and Church Fenton, to allow stoppers to be looped. A Leeds Council document I saw the other week seemed to suggest this loop would start at Cross Gates and end somewhere before Garforth.
In 1995, Leeds City Council/WYPTE wanted to open a couple of stations, including Osmonthorpe, between Leeds and Cross Gates but couldn't on a two track mainline at near capacity. It was decided to wait until the line was electrified or quadrupled.
They must have forgotten that in 30 years if quadrupling is not going to start until Cross Gates.

Grumpy

I believe the Garforth station footbridge replacement is TRU/electrification driven. So I am posting two photos taken yesterday. One shows progress to date building the lift towers, the other is of a poster illustrating the final product complete with OHLE. It would seem there will be no protection for users from rain, snow etc

Attachments

• Garforth WIP.jpg
    Garforth WIP.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 235
  • Garforth Beacon bridge.jpg
    Garforth Beacon bridge.jpg
    789.6 KB · Views: 237

snowball

Established Member
Press release

An electric train has travelled for the first time between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge, as part of the Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU).

Engineers have been testing the new electrification equipment installed along the route as part of the multi-billion-pound upgrade to the line between Manchester and York, via Huddersfield and Leeds.

The successful test train run follows work completed by TRU last year, which included the installation of overhead line electrification (OLE) between Manchester Victoria, Stalybridge and Guide Bridge stations, the replacement of track to allow faster speeds, 25 new signals for closer spacing of trains and a higher-speed railway junction at Stalybridge. Many of these key upgrades were completed as engineers worked around the clock during a 26-day closure in March and April last year.

Electric trains are set to run between Manchester and Stalybridge from the end of the year, bringing greener, faster and more reliable journeys to the route.

his will be the first section of line to be electrified as part of the Tranpennine Route Upgrade, with the remainder of the route between Manchester and York set to be electrified in the future.

TRU is also delivering station improvements along the route to enhance customer experience, comfort and accessibility, whilst a new digital signalling system to improve the reliability of the line will be installed.

Upgrades also include doubling the number of tracks between Huddersfield and Dewsbury to allow for greater capacity, meaning more seats for passengers and opportunities for increased freight.

Neil Holm, Managing Director of TRU said:

“This is a big achievement in our plans to bring cleaner, faster and better travel to the people of the North of England.

“People can see that TRU is very much in the delivery phase now and the benefits of all our teams’ hard work is starting to show. I would like to thank passengers and local residents who have supported us throughout the ongoing work.”

The train, which was a Northern Class 331, departed from Blackpool North and arrived at Manchester Piccadilly just before 12:00. It then travelled between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge station while the tests were undertaken.

TRU will create and protect 8000 new roles during construction, with 60% of the workforce employed from within 25 miles of the route and 80% within 40 miles.

The successful test train run between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge follows the recent announcement that Mossley station is to be relocated 300m to the East to allow for the construction of a fully-accessible station for the first time in its history. More information can be found here: https://www.networkrailmediacentre....-fully-accessible-rail-station-for-first-time.

Electric trains will next be tested on the Eastern section of TRU later in the year, between York and Church Fenton.

YorksLad12

Established Member
I believe the Garforth station footbridge replacement is TRU/electrification driven. So I am posting two photos taken yesterday. One shows progress to date building the lift towers, the other is of a poster illustrating the final product complete with OHLE. It would seem there will be no protection for users from rain, snow etc
To be fair, a lot of foot bridges don't. And some make use of natural resources (Apperley Bridge).

I'm more amused at the livery of the Northern train in the poster... so perhaps it can't be wholly believed?

Geeves

Established Member
Is it not just the old Northern livery?

As said above there's lots of admin work to do now before the wires get to be used, all the fun stuff!

Grumpy

To be fair, a lot of foot bridges don't.
Seems random as to which do. My local station has an uncovered footbridge and it's a nightmare when there's snow or frost about.

Perhaps the default position should be covered.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Whereas Castleford protects you from snow and ice but is absolutely covered in pigeon feaces, which I'd argue is worse.

Grumpy

Whereas Castleford protects you from snow and ice but is absolutely covered in pigeon feaces, which I'd argue is worse.
So two stations approx. 5 miles apart, similar usage, 2 new footbridges but one covered and the other uncovered.
The logic is?

deltic08

On Moderation
Speaking of footbridges, I hope the one at Ravensthorpe will be offered to a heritage railway assuming there's somewhere it's needed.
Never mind heritage railways, a footbridge is needed at Dent station so the ridiculous 30mph limit speed can be abolished. I would understand if it was a busy station, but the foot crossing is used by less than a dozen passengers per day.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Never mind heritage railways, a footbridge is needed at Dent station so the ridiculous 30mph limit speed can be abolished. I would understand if it was a busy station, but the foot crossing is used by less than a dozen passengers per day.
So an accessible footbridge (you can’t build any other type these days) with lifts at £££m to benefit around 12 passengers a day and how many trains that currently don’t call at Dent?

Would presumably be a complete eyesore in relation to the station setting too?

1D53

Established Member
The difference between Garforth and Castleford is funder (TRU vs AFA), design time (Garforth is a new 'Beacon' design) and most fundamentally space, you would not get a structure the size of Castleford's new footbridge in the available space at Garforth.

Speaking of footbridges, I hope the one at Ravensthorpe will be offered to a heritage railway assuming there's somewhere it's needed.
I wouldn't get your hopes up - there were very few takers for the Garforth one and it has ended up almost 300 miles away in Kent.

Hopefully a proper solution for that isn't too far off!

Grumpy

The difference between Garforth and Castleford is funder (TRU vs AFA), design time (Garforth is a new 'Beacon' design) and most fundamentally space, you would not get a structure the size of Castleford's new footbridge in the available space at Garforth.
Thanks for that. But presumably both being designed/project managed by Network rail?. Is there some carefully worked out rule that decrees which stations justify a canopy over the footbridge or is it just project manager's whim?

1D53

Established Member
When is stalybridge likely to see it's first electric train, now that the wires have been tested?
June.

Is that insider knowledge or just a hope?
The former with a bit of the latter!

Thanks for that. But presumably both being designed/project managed by Network rail?. Is there some carefully worked out rule that decrees which stations justify a canopy over the footbridge or is it just project manager's whim?

I'm not sure if there is a hard and fast rule. TRU has delivered Castleford with a roof and Morley without, both within the same project. I suspect in the Garforth case the listed road bridge behind would have prevented anything with a roof being constructed.