• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine woes and a moan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Does the TPE 802 between Edinburgh and Manchester run at weekends?
On Saturdays, yes (although the diagram is different to weekdays, being 2 hours earlier throughout).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Last week a commented on receiving what must have been an automated delay repay rejection from TPE.

This was following the cancellation of the 09:54 from Liverpool LS which resulted in a diversion via Manchester Oxford Road and a 31 minute late arrival at York.

I have just received an email informing me that I am due £18 refund on the first class club 55 ticket.

That was cancelled on Thursday. Didn’t affect me as planned to get the 10:54 which was only a few minutes late into York, not too busy & friendly guard & catering host. Was very impressed.

gazzaa2

What have they got against Cleethorpes? Surely they could share out the cancellations a bit better. Is it a line that not many of their drivers sign, and if not why not?

Will the new Liverpool-Cleethorpe routes just be mostly cancelled trains? (they obviously they can't run their existing services as it is so I hold little hope for it). It'll just put more pressure on the Liverpool-Newcastle that at least run half the time.

jfollows

Established Member

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Do you have the times, I fancy sampling the 802 on the WCML.
06:13 EDB-MIA
10:10 MIA-EDB
14:10 EDB-MIA
18:10 MIA-EDB

Some of the timings change slightly from the timetable change, but the diagram is essentially the same.

Well TPE’s timetables links are all broken perhaps they daren’t let you look at them!

Attachments

• 575BDB28-7AC2-41C6-8541-DAB03644CCDD.png
    575BDB28-7AC2-41C6-8541-DAB03644CCDD.png
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 34

gazzaa2

People complaining on Twitter about toilets on one train locked out of use and children crying and wetting themselves. Horrific. Anyone who even considers using TPE at this stage must be out of their minds.

It's crazy that the trains they actually run are usually always full (often crush loaded at weekends in particular). I know people need to use them to go to work or whatever but for leisure it's really not worth it.

blackfive460

I quite fancied Scarborough or Bridlington in the new year but I'm absolutely not going to book anything with the current state of play.
Scarborough has been doing quite well for a while now with TransPantomime just running shuttles to and from York but it's not good if you want to go beyond York with them.

dk1

Veteran Member
Scarborough has been doing quite well for a while now with TransPantomime just running shuttles to and from York but it's not good if you want to go beyond York with them.

Guests staying at the Principal Hotel would be happy for the Scarborough shuttle to revert to a through service again. Flipping annoying having those noisy 68s idling outside for lengthy periods.

Msq71423

Looking at tonight's cancellations for tomorrow on the south route from Cleethorpes to Manchester:

1524 running (and all trains prior are running)
1624 cancelled
1724 cancelled
1824 cancelled
1924 cancelled
2024 cancelled
2124 cancelled

Last train of the day tomorrow therefore 1524..

dk1

Veteran Member
Looking at tonight's cancellations for tomorrow on the south route from Cleethorpes to Manchester:

1624 cancelled
1724 cancelled
1824 cancelled
1924 cancelled
2024 cancelled
2124 cancelled

Late turns are never as popular.

Chester1

Established Member
06:13 EDB-MIA
10:10 MIA-EDB
14:10 EDB-MIA
18:10 MIA-EDB

Some of the timings change slightly from the timetable change, but the diagram is essentially the same.

Forgive my ignorance but why do 802s run on WCML? I remember reading about it but have forgotten!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

1624 cancelled
1724 cancelled
1824 cancelled
1924 cancelled
2024 cancelled
2124 cancelled

This is an utterly beyond poor and why TPE still have a mgt contract is beyond me.

Luke McDonnell

On Moderation
I am travelling from Liverpool to York for a day trip on Saturday (10th December) this will be on TPX was supposed to go last month but we moved it due to the strikes should be a good day but looking at this thread should we be OK or what is the chance of disruption at the moment I am going with my Mum and she would not like being stuck in York! I know with or tickets in the event of a cancellation we can use them on the next service though

Killingworth

Established Member

1624 cancelled
1724 cancelled
1824 cancelled
1924 cancelled
2024 cancelled
2124 cancelled

As it stands tonight although regular users know they have to constantly check timetables and apps to see which trains are likely to complete their full runs on the day.

Try working out quickly which trains you may find running between a pair of stations from this list for tomorrow. It's a hit and miss service, book at your peril. Some now showing as running probably won't.

Cancellations;

Manchester – Cleethorpes

0345 Sheffield – Manchester Airport
0521 Sheffield – Cleethorpes
0556 Manchester Airport – Cleethorpes
1624 Cleethorpes – Manchester Piccadilly
1918 Manchester Piccadilly – Cleethorpes
1924 Cleethorpes – Manchester Piccadilly
2024 Cleethorpes – Manchester Airport
2124 Cleethorpes – Sheffield
2220 Manchester Piccadilly – Doncaster
2330 Manchester Airport – Sheffield

The following services are being amended;

Manchester – Cleethorpes

0536 Doncaster – Manchester Piccadilly – Starts Sheffield
1618 Manchester Piccadilly – Cleethorpes –Terminates Sheffield
1718 Manchester Piccadilly – Cleethorpes – Terminates Sheffield
1724 Cleethorpes – Manchester Piccadilly – Starts Sheffield
1824 Cleethorpes – Manchester Piccadilly – Terminates Sheffield
2052 Manchester Airport – Cleethorpes – Terminates Manchester Piccadilly

*Further short-notice cancellations and amendments to services are likely throughout the day

TheBigD

Established Member
Forgive my ignorance but why do 802s run on WCML? I remember reading about it but have forgotten!

Was reported at the time as a combination of getting the 802s to Craigentinny, and to provide a bit of slack in the 397 fleet for mods and maintenance etc etc.

The 802s also have around 50 extra seats which is probably welcomed on some services.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Get rid of First and who will take over? The OLR [getting extra money to allow them to take on more] or another company? The issues will still remain, just look at Northern
TPE have had ample time to sort this and should be stripped of the mgt contract they are utterly failing the communities they purport to serve

Wtloild

It's my work Christmas do next week in Leeds.
Normally nearly everyone would've arrived by train from Lancs, Greater Manchester, Humberside, NE & various Yorkshire locations, but this year hardly anyone is doing so.
Confidence in rail in the North as a credible mode of transport is evaporating.

dk1

Veteran Member
It's my work Christmas do next week in Leeds.
Normally nearly everyone would've arrived by train from Lancs, Greater Manchester, Humberside, NE & various Yorkshire locations, but this year hardly anyone is doing so.

That wasn’t evident at Liverpool or York this week where trains where exceptionally busy. In fact I don’t recall York being as busy apart from race days even before the pandemic. One hospitality chain said however it has had £200k worth of cancelled bookings once RMT announced the strike dates.

py_megapixel

Established Member
That's my thought exactly.
People who were previously happy to travel by train are now purchasing cars because the railway simply can't be relied upon to get them to work on time. The impression given by the train companies is that they couldn't care less, and there is little appetite in central government to fix it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
People who were previously happy to travel by train are now purchasing cars because the railway simply can't be relied upon to get them to work on time. The impression given by the train companies is that they couldn't care less, and there is little appetite in central government to fix it.

Not very many people are doing that, simply because most families already have at least one car. Thus, it's more reversible than the younger, non-car-owning population of parts of this Forum think. The irreversible thing would be closures.

The railway has been through very bad extended periods before, e.g. the late 1990s gauge corner cracking fiasco that had the whole network running at 50mph and almost everyone who could drive doing so. They mostly came back, because driving into big cities (most of the railway's business is "home town to big city") is grim, as are road coaches, and domestic flights are relevant to a tiny part of the railway's overall business.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Not very many people are doing that, simply because most families already have at least one car. Thus, it's more reversible than the younger, non-car-owning population of parts of this Forum think. The irreversible thing would be closures.

The railway has been through very bad extended periods before, e.g. the late 1990s gauge corner cracking fiasco that had the whole network running at 50mph and almost everyone who could drive doing so. They mostly came back, because driving into big cities (most of the railway's business is "home town to big city") is grim, as are road coaches, and domestic flights are relevant to a tiny part of the railway's overall business.
Agreed the younger generation are more in tune with how a modern environmentally economy needs to function and that public transport is a key enabler. Doesn't mean they should be taken for granted but actually that both sides in this dispute need to do more to close the gap for the greater good of the country.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
...The railway has been through very bad extended periods before, e.g. the late 1990s gauge corner cracking fiasco that had the whole network running at 50mph...
Think that was actually the early 2000's, immediately after the Hatfield train crash incident in October 2000, but otherwise a valid point, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.