• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for London will "declare itself bankrupt" by end of today (14 May 2020) without emergency finance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespa

Established Member
Khan has tried to play political football with the big players and got owned.

Personally I'm not a big fan of him, talks a lot and does little.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member

MotCO

Established Member
If it is a Snapps v Khan power struggle, then the Minister should be careful not to wrestle too much power away from the Mayor, for the simple reason if there is ever a Labour government with a Tory Mayor, then the Tory Mayor would feel too impotent.

Also, what does the Mayor control apart from transport? If there's nothing significant, what will the GLA and Mayor do if too much power is taken away?

Tube driver

It's a "plan" to return to 100% timetable - based on reports from members here about how many staff are shielding, actually accomplishing said plan will be another matter altogether. Also worth mentioning that they're advising avoiding public transport, but at the same time the expectation is that people will still need to use it, particularly as more return to work. The more services are running, the better from a social-distancing point of view.
Well, we’re back to operating normal pre-Covid timetables from Sunday but everyone I’ve spoken to thinks that it won’t last in any meaningful form. My depot alone next week has about 70% coverage so it’ll be fun to say the least and that’s before we get into stuff like social distancing...

Class83

Personally I'm not a big fan of him, talks a lot and does little.
I think he's ok, but sometimes fails to realise that he runs what is effectively a very big council, all English councils have been very keen to spend money, but don't have revenue powers to back what they're doing. Sturgeon has her own legal system and has increasing tax and borrowing powers.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think he's ok, but sometimes fails to realise that he runs what is effectively a very big council, all English councils have been very keen to spend money, but don't have revenue powers to back what they're doing. Sturgeon has her own legal system and has increasing tax and borrowing powers.

He doesn't even do that. He has far less power than a Council (certainly less than the City of London Corporation) - he basically controls TfL and not a lot else.

peri

Privatizing everything might bring in lots of much needed cash. Just think of all the different liveried buses, tube trains etc. Two or three companies fighting it out on Northern alone, watching tube trains go past waiting for yours to turn up.
Definitely win votes everywhere bar London.

I'm not really sure that either side have actually lost anything once you take away all the political noise.

The fare rise was already in TfL's business plan, and now he can blame the government for it and the only other real thing is a government official in 'attendance' at the board, which as long as they are a civil servant and have no voting rights is not a massive thing to give away.

And on the government side they've stopped the system from falling over and incurring the wrath of suburb voters in particular without making it look too generous - to be honest, they would have been better off bailing it out as part of the ToC package so that it looked more 'national' then this did, but this probably still gets them away with it

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A resolution has been reached:
Transport for London (TfL) has secured £1.6bn in emergency funding to keep Tube and bus services running until September.

Under the bailout's terms, London mayor Sadiq Khan is expected to restore a full Underground service as soon as possible.

He is also understood to have offered a 1% above-inflation fare rise in future.

BBC London Political Editor Tim Donovan said other measures agreed include:
  • Placing Stay Alert advertising on the transport network
  • Reporting staff absenteeism rates to civil servants
  • A longer-term review of TfL finances.
The BBC has been told a £500m loan agreed with the Department for Transport forms part of the total....

bramling

Veteran Member
It's a "plan" to return to 100% timetable - based on reports from members here about how many staff are shielding, actually accomplishing said plan will be another matter altogether. Also worth mentioning that they're advising avoiding public transport, but at the same time the expectation is that people will still need to use it, particularly as more return to work. The more services are running, the better from a social-distancing point of view.

Running a 100% service is essentially impossible with resources as they are, unless anyone has a train operator or two in their back pocket?

Now of course you could *plan* to run a 100% service, this is indeed happening as from next week, and have cancellations as required. This will no doubt be what happens in practice, no doubt with the mayor squirming as each day’s list of cancellations becomes known.

As predicted, TfL got their bail out, we have some strings attached, and it’s all neatly packaged up to make Sadiq Khan look bad.

bramling

Veteran Member
If it is a Snapps v Khan power struggle, then the Minister should be careful not to wrestle too much power away from the Mayor, for the simple reason if there is ever a Labour government with a Tory Mayor, then the Tory Mayor would feel too impotent.

Also, what does the Mayor control apart from transport? If there's nothing significant, what will the GLA and Mayor do if too much power is taken away?

I don’t think the government care too much about the prospect of a Conservative mayor. With the political make-up of London as it is (in other words Conservative major highly unlikely in the foreseeable future, and few parliamentary seats to lose), screwing over Khan is a far better political prize, and a worthwhile one as there’s little to lose.

nidave

Quite a high price to pay for ordinary passengers, fare rises and a temporary restriction of the Freedom Pass to off peak times, won't play well in the outer boroughs which still vote Tory especially his own constituency...

nidave

I don’t think the government care too much about the prospect of a Conservative mayor. With the political make-up of London as it is (in other words Conservative major highly unlikely in the foreseeable future, and few parliamentary seats to lose), screwing over Khan is a far better political prize, and a worthwhile one as there’s little to lose.
Quite a few Zone 5 and 6 seats are Tory...

Qwerty133

Established Member
Quite a high price to pay for ordinary passengers, fare rises and a temporary restriction of the Freedom Pass to off peak times, won't play well to the outer boroughs which still vote Tory especially his own constituency...
But will play out nicely up north in the newly won conservative seats (where higher fare's and restricted use of ENCTS have long been the norm, despite lower incomes).

Let it go bankrupt, it’s basically a PTE. The local authorities would have to pick up the slack

nidave

But will play out nicely up north in the newly won conservative seats (where higher fare's and restricted use of ENCTS have long been the norm, despite lower incomes).
I doubt it, I have family in the north-east, they care about as much as affairs in the South as a Londoner does about Newcastle, which is not a lot...

It's a lot more than a PTE. PTEs don't directly operate anything.
WYPTE operate and / or pay to operate services and bus services and own rolling stock.
GMPTE operate and / or pay to operate services and bus services and the metro link
Merseyrail......

nidave

WYPTE operate and / or pay to operate services and bus services and own rolling stock.
GMPTE operate and / or pay to operate services and bus services and the metro link
Merseyrail......
WMPTE and GMPTE pay to operate a small number of bus services and the Metrolink is far smaller compared to the tube, DLR,overground,TfL rail and Croydon Tramlink

Qwerty133

Established Member
I doubt it, I have family in the north-east, they care about as much as affairs in the South as a Londoner does about Newcastle, which is not a lot...
I think you'll find that many, whilst not caring about the day to day goings on in London, will be extremely pleased at a high profile move which they see as removing some of the unfair privileges held by Londoners.

nidave

I think you'll find that many, whilst not caring about the day to day goings on in London, will be extremely pleased at a high profile move which they see as removing some of the unfair privileges held by Londoners.
Really, we'll see. I bet next time I visit Middlesbrough or Durham and ask about TfL fare rises I'll get a shrug of the shoulders

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Merseyrail......
TfL is nothing like a ITA (PTE). TfL also doesn’t receive a central government grant despite managing a large road network. This leads to the curious situation in London whereby public transport users are indirectly subsidising road users!

nidave

If I was Sadiq, I would've refused the bailout and placed all blame on central government. He's got nothing to lose, London is solidly Labour, he could totally shut down the Tube and bus network and still get elected next year.

Nym

Established Member
WMPTE and GMPTE pay to operate a small number of bus services and the Metrolink is far smaller compared to the tube, DLR,overground,TfL rail and Croydon Tramlink
TfL don't operate Overground, ARL do.
TfL don't operate TfL Rail, MTR do.
TfL don't operate the DLR, Keolis-Amey do.
TfL don't operate Croydon Tramlink, First Group (Tram Operations Ltd.) do.

TfL technically don't operate LU, LUL does, although it's wholly owned by TfL.

The principal is the same. A monopoly game of private companies paying or subsidising or fining each other, ultimately responsible to the tax payer and bails outs or get out clauses or excuses and government or council stepping in to run and fund it when it breaks down.

nidave

TfL don't operate Overground, ARL do.
TfL don't operate TfL Rail, MTR do.
TfL don't operate the DLR, Keolis-Amey do.
TfL don't operate Croydon Tramlink, First Group (Tram Operations Ltd.) do.

TfL technically don't operate LU, LUL does, although it's wholly owned by TfL.
You know what I meant, no need to be pedantic...

Qwerty133

Established Member
If I was Sadiq, I would've refused the bailout and placed all blame on central government. He's got nothing to lose, London is solidly Labour, he could totally shut down the Tube and bus network and still get elected next year.
Even if you believe he is undefeatable in London (which is debatable) overseeing the total collapse of the transport networks in London would do little in the way of boosting his future career prospects after his time as mayor ends and he has to appeal to the electorate outside of London, which I'd imagine are part of his thinking process.

Status
Not open for further replies.