• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Strathclyde – A New Public Transport Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Not sure I would entirely agree with that; Car-centric in the 60s perhaps, with the M8 being carved through the city, but since then we have had the Argyle Line re-opening, Paisley Canal closure and re-opening (!), passenger services restored on the lines to Whifflet, Anniesland via Maryhill, and Hamilton-Larkhall rebuilt. And there is a degree of integration, albeit far from perfect; For example, McGills 395 East Kilbride/Uplawmoor bus still, 60 years after the Neilston-Uplawmoor railway closed, runs via Neilston station rather than the direct route via the main bus stop in Neilston village centre. Scotrail's website however makes no mention of the connection, and most bizarrely Travelline Scotland's Journey Planner recommends travelling from Glasgow to Uplawmoor via train to Barrhead and a 24 minute walk through Barrhead to pick up the 395 there, instead of a 2 minute walk at Neilston ! Definitely much room for improvement.
Whilst there have been improvements to the local rail network (and I absolutey support those), I'd also point to the M77 being built and extended, the extension of the M74 to link to the M8, and the East End Regen Route. These are all developments that have been realised in the last forty years and some notable ones since 2000 (such as the M74 extension).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Falcon1200

Established Member
Whilst there have been improvements to the local rail network (and I absolutey support those), I'd also point to the M77 being built and extended, the extension of the M74 to link to the M8, and the East End Regen Route. These are all developments that have been realised in the last forty years and some notable ones since 2000 (such as the M74 extension).

Fair point regarding the M77 extension, and that one does show how road building generates traffic; I drove that way to work (when there was no suitable train !) both before and after it was built, and there is no way the traffic using it now could have been accommodated on the previous route. OTOH the M74 extension was built, in part at least, to take traffic around Glasgow rather than into the city.

overthewater

Established Member
To be Fair, M77 replaced a rather dangerous and nasty road, and also took alot of traffic of certain areas of South Glasgow. Most people forgotten Stagecoach used that road very successfully to start its bus war.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
To be Fair, M77 replaced a rather dangerous and nasty road, and also took alot of traffic of certain areas of South Glasgow. Most people forgotten Stagecoach used that road very successfully to start its bus war.
The worst part of the A77 wasn't the bit to Glasgow but much further south. However, whatever the whys and wherefores of taking traffic from certain areas of South Glasgow, it most certainly benefited the private car much more than public transport.

I struggle to think of a UK city that is so accessible by motorways, even more than Manchester or Birmingham

overthewater

Established Member
The worst part of the A77 wasn't the bit to Glasgow but much further south. However, whatever the whys and wherefores of taking traffic from certain areas of South Glasgow, it most certainly benefited the private car much more than public transport.

I struggle to think of a UK city that is so accessible by motorways, even more than Manchester or Birmingham

Your right, its the most accessible city in the uk by motorway, but it also allowed and benefited the bus network to such a great degree, I and many others can get to part of Greater Glasgow in around 15mins, compared to some of the awful routes. The rebuff would be of course why not build better bus priority or even Bus only roads like that waste of space Fastlink. The trouble is were still left with alto of thought traffic and how do you solve that?

Edinburgh is dire trying to get anywhere fast on the buses, which is such a shame. For such a pro bus city its really isn't.

InOban

Established Member
Around 1960 a report said that Glasgow had lower car ownership than any other city in the UK. Instead of this prompting major investment in rail/metro/segregated bus lanes etc, the response of the City Fathers was to persuade the Scottish Office to fund the bulldozing of the M8 through the West End (there was meant to be a complete motorway box, but the money ran out and anyway the public were opposed ). The low car ownership was seen as an embarrassment, reflecting on the declining economy.

As for getting between parts of Glasgow in 15 minutes, it takes me that just to get in from Anniesland to the M8. Edinburgh buses are a nightmare at present because of the tramworks and the refurbishment of the North Bridge. But otherwise they are generally recognised as excellent and keep winning national awards. Because they are still largely owned by the City, they have been integrated with planning developments, with many routes terminating at major destinations - the Gyle centre, Ocean Terminal and now the Infirmary. In normal times it's astonishing how busy buses are even outside the peaks, and there aren't just Night buses, there are buses on Christmas Day and New Year! And there are a lot of orbital routes which avoid the centre and seem very successful.

At the same time as Glasgow was being given its motorway, Edinburgh, if I remember right, had to fight to build its bypass which transformed getting from one side to the other, until it became grossly overcrowded! Can you believe that it was claimed that the city didn't need a bypass because everyone was going to the centre?

overthewater

Established Member
Around 1960 a report said that Glasgow had lower car ownership than any other city in the UK. Instead of this prompting major investment in rail/metro/segregated bus lanes etc, the response of the City Fathers was to persuade the Scottish Office to fund the bulldozing of the M8 through the West End (there was meant to be a complete motorway box, but the money ran out and anyway the public were opposed ). The low car ownership was seen as an embarrassment, reflecting on the declining economy.
Part of the trouble was thought traffic, Maybe they should have built an outer bypass instead. connecting the docks and airport. Mind the space where the Motorway is right now used to belong to old housing stock which was getting knocked down, I dare say 2+2=5 idea?

As for getting between parts of Glasgow in 15 minutes, it takes me that just to get in from Anniesland to the M8. Edinburgh buses are a nightmare at present because of the tramworks and the refurbishment of the North Bridge. But otherwise they are generally recognised as excellent and keep winning national awards. Because they are still largely owned by the City, they have been integrated with planning developments, with many routes terminating at major destinations - the Gyle centre, Ocean Terminal and now the Infirmary. In normal times it's astonishing how busy buses are even outside the peaks, and there aren't just Night buses, there are buses on Christmas Day and New Year! And there are a lot of orbital routes which avoid the centre and seem very successful.
There still a lack of bus priority in the city and could do with improvements,

At the same time as Glasgow was being given its motorway, Edinburgh, if I remember right, had to fight to build its bypass which transformed getting from one side to the other, until it became grossly overcrowded! Can you believe that it was claimed that the city didn't need a bypass because everyone was going to the centre?

Edinburgh inner ring road was strange a concept from the beginning, with a plan to destroy the meadows, part of the old town and and section that followed in parallel with North and south bridges. ie connect leith street and Commonwealth pool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.