• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales 769's

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Wasn't this why Arriva ordered them in the first place to cover for the 150's while they were being PRM modified? Remember TfW inherented this order.

I think the 150s still to be PRMd is now down to 2 or 3. There are 2 153s at Landore being done with one, which will complete the fleet, still to be done and that should go in when one of those there comes out. However, at the end of August by which time the 150 PRM programme should be complete, they will go for re-livery and internal refresh.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Caaardiff

BA has just retired its 747s 4 years early, as have most other airlines, because they no longer need them, so it's the right business decision, even though it's sad. The same is true of the 769s - they are not needed with any degree of urgency, and TfW will base their decisions on need, not sentiment.

That's not really an accurate comparison. BA have cut many routes, simply aren't flying them because of lack of demand, so they don't need the aicraft. TfW are still running the majority of the timetable, albeit with a huge drop in passengers, but they still need the majority of the fleet in operation to maintain the timetable. With passenger capacity drops because of social distancing, the more carriages there are the better, as eventually as more and more people start travelling again, people will be left behind or social distancing limits won't be able to be met.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I'm wondering anything is going to happen with the 769s in the near future as 37418 which had been at Rhymney as a Thunderbird has returned to Canton this morning.

Last edited:

Anonymous10

Established Member
Guys let's not forget they need to replace the Pacers they will still be needed to allow all services to run

Bob Price

I'm wondering is going to happen with the 769s in the near future as 37418 which had been at Rhymney as a Thunderbird has returned to Canton this morning.
It's been up there since June. Possibly come down for a routine service.

anthony263

Established Member
Wasn't there reports recently that training was due to begin again as tfw and the unions have come to an agreement?

craigybagel

Established Member
Wasn't there reports recently that training was due to begin again as tfw and the unions have come to an agreement?
The unions and TfW have indeed come to agreement. There is work to do before training can begin however - no idea how long that will take.

Bikeman78

Established Member
You can hardly blame TfW. COVID has disrupted everything, more so in Wales than in England (sensibly in my opinion, but that's OT). Trying to predict when anything might get back to any sort of normality is very difficult. Given passenger volumes are going to be well down for months, particularly for the white collar commuter traffic into Cardiff which create the demand that makes these units needed, I'm guessing there is much less of an urgency to get the units into service.

Just because a lot of rail enthusiasts are keen to see a type of unit introduced doesn't mean it's the right thing for TfW to prioritise in the current environment, particularly if it increases risk to the drivers who will need to be trained before they can drive them.

BA has just retired its 747s 4 years early, as have most other airlines, because they no longer need them, so it's the right business decision, even though it's sad. The same is true of the 769s - they are not needed with any degree of urgency, and TfW will base their decisions on need, not sentiment.
If TFW wants to get rid of the Pacers then the 769s have to work. The completion of the 150 PRM mods will free up a unit or two but nowhere near enough to replace 30 Pacers.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
If TFW wants to get rid of the Pacers then the 769s have to work. The completion of the 150 PRM mods will free up a unit or two but nowhere near enough to replace 30 Pacers.

When the 150 PRM programme is complete which should be pretty soon now, it will be replaced by a programme of relivery and internal refurb

Caaardiff

What does the internal refurb involve? Wasn't much of it done during the PRM mods, such as flooring, buttons etc? Is it just seats and TfW colours on handles etc?

Cardiff123

Established Member
What does the internal refurb involve? Wasn't much of it done during the PRM mods, such as flooring, buttons etc? Is it just seats and TfW colours on handles etc?
Presumably getting everything, inside and out, into TfW colours, as the 150s are now the only units left (except for the Pacers) still fully in ATW colours.
Imo it's a waste of resources though, esp to do the interiors, as ATW fully refreshed the interiors on most of the 150s when they got a C6 overhaul around 3 years ago. Of course it was all in ATW colours though, so I can understand TfW wanting them out of Arriva colours, even if it is a waste of resources.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Imo it's a waste of resources though, esp to do the interiors, as ATW fully refreshed the interiors on most of the 150s when they got a C6 overhaul around 3 years ago.
Completely agree with you on that. I'd wager the majority of passengers couldn't care less if their train is turquoise or red; they just want it to turn up and to be able to get a seat. Of course this is different if the outgoing operator has acquired a particularly toxic reputation but given ATW generally performed fine I don't think that's a concern.

However in the world of franchising, logic rarely prevails. For all we know Arriva have set a deadline for TfW to rid the network of their colours and they face penalties for not doing so, regardless of whether the paintwork/seat covers/whatever else the case may be actually need a refresh.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I don't think it is a 769 as it is not calling along at all stations along the route and is not running under the TFW banner. Probably a loco route learning

Starmill

Veteran Member
Reported in August Modern Railways that TfW intend to go ahead with entry into service of these units albeit delayed. I'm not sure where the suggestion they won't has come from.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I don't think it is a 769 as it is not calling along at all stations along the route and is not running under the TFW banner. Probably a loco route learning

Schedules changed and now TFW (AW), station calls i/c Grangetown and Dingle Rd and a Timing Load of 15x DMU rather than Diesel Loco and running as VSTP.

Cardiff123

Established Member
Reported in August Modern Railways that TfW intend to go ahead with entry into service of these units albeit delayed. I'm not sure where the suggestion they won't has come from.
The suggestion they won't enter service is pure speculation. These trains have been hit so many delays and so much bad luck, even if testing does resume tomorrow, it's difficult to believe they'll enter passenger service until it a 769 actually turns up at a station and allows passengers to get on it.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The suggestion they won't enter service is pure speculation. These trains have been hit so many delays and so much bad luck, even if testing does resume tomorrow, it's difficult to believe they'll enter passenger service until it a 769 actually turns up at a station and allows passengers to get on it.
Indeed. And it seems TfW won't move now until, at the earliest, the December timetable change.

Bob Price

Logical. That's the one previously used, get the milage on it and the drivers trained. I hear the 37 has gone back up as well.

Jez

Established Member
Weren't some of the 769's supposed to be in service when ATW was still running the franchise? i.e. around 2 years ago! A delay of this long, 2.5 years if they wont enter service until December TT, seems ridiculous! At this rate the new built trains will be ready before these ever enter service.

Status
Not open for further replies.