• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales 769's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Low density - so not 3+2 facing seating?

Some 319s had 2+2 (but with narrow seats) in a mostly airline arrangement with quite generous spacing - have TfW grabbed some of these? Most of the LNR ones have that layout except the /2s with the very nice Chapman arrangement and a couple with the 3+2 facing.

Edit: it appears these were 319/4s, so if that's what TfW has got they will have a decent low density 2+2 interior.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Caaardiff

Sorry, I had to laugh at this point, which is an enormous, gigantic understatement. I mean not much has changed in the 2.5 - 3 years since that franchise plan was drawn up, including a devastating global pandemic causing a dramatic shift in travel patterns, and the original operator of the new franchise leaving next February.
I'm just an onlooker, but I'm pretty sure any rolling stock plans drawn up 3 years ago can now be taken with a pinch of salt. The introduction dates of the new Stadler vehicles for the Valleys come with massive caveats. It's already been announced that the infrastructure work on the Core Valleys is delayed by 6 months, with the Metro Vehicles not entering service until the end of 2022 and the Tri-modes for Rhymney through to the VoG coming into service end of 2023 at the earliest.

Don't forget it's not just the 769s that have been delayed, the 230s for North Wales and the Mk4 coaches are also very delayed in entering service.

Low density - so not 3+2 facing seating?
Well aware of the changes you mention, my comment was more related to the fleet decisions, nothing outside of that.
Also regardless of the delays to the introduction to the fleet, it doesn't mean that it will extend the life of the fleet with TfW.
I would imagine delayed handover dates have more of an influence of actual enter in service dates. Many of the 769s have been sat around doing nothing despite being accepted by TfW. So until anything gets released thats all we have to go by.

There has however been no official update to the fleet arrangements since the franchise fleet proposals mentioned, which was an official release.

Roger B

452 is wrapped and will be out soon. Low density interior with declassified 1st class - lovely unit.
Thought the 769/4s were Northern units? A few questions come to mind ..... if anyone could shed some light that would be most appreciated, thanks. So 452 is at Canton is it - and wrapped with TfW or Northern vinyls? Does it still have its pantograph (those being removed from TfW units, but very much needed on the Northern ones)? May also be worth sharing on the Northern 769 thread as well, depending on the answers!

AM9

Veteran Member
Thought the 769/4s were Northern units? A few questions come to mind ..... if anyone could shed some light that would be most appreciated, thanks. So 452 is at Canton is it - and wrapped with TfW or Northern vinyls? Does it still have its pantograph (those being removed from TfW units, but very much needed on the Northern ones)? May also be worth sharing on the Northern 769 thread as well, depending on the answers!
No, in addition to the 5 class 769/0 units: (769002, 769003, 769006, 769007 & 769008), there are 4 class 769/4 units destined for TfW: 769421, 769426, 769445 & 769452.

Last edited:

AdamWW

Established Member
Does anyone know if they are planning to run a 769 in passenger service over the weekend?

Wolfie

Established Member
They still make the humming sound as heard at the 11 second mark on this video of 319372 departing from Flitwick. I think it's the thyristor control? Worth noting that a 769 doesn't accelerate anywhere near this fast!

One caveat to your last sentence: when on diesel-power!

konstant

On Moderation
Are they removing the transformer, or will getting them to run on AC (e.g. to transfer to Northern once TfW are done with them so some 150s with older, more polluting engines can be scrapped) just involve refitting the pantograph?

They simply require the pantograph refitting and the lockout removing from the VCB.

Far easier to remove the pan and whack it on a pallet than maintain it for two years hence they’re all off. Things like checking the locks on them would be a continual task importing lots of unnecessary risk so they didn’t stand a chance of being left on.

Wolfie

Established Member
Are they removing the transformer, or will getting them to run on AC (e.g. to transfer to Northern once TfW are done with them so some 150s with older, more polluting engines can be scrapped) just involve refitting the pantograph?
It would be sensible for the ROSCO to retain the maximum possible flexibility.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Only if you're not in a hurry. I had another ride today. Took 1:38 through Caerphilly tunnel. They remind me of the thumpers on the Uckfield line. It's a pity they can't have three engines.

konstant

On Moderation
Only if you're not in a hurry. I had another ride today. Took 1:38 through Caerphilly tunnel. They remind me of the thumpers on the Uckfield line. It's a pity they can't have three engines.
Your method of rating the performance of an entire class by timing it through a tunnel on a black leaf fall day is not a particularly scientific method nor is it accurate I’m afraid.

The signaller has been stopping trains before the tunnel for most of the last three days and allowing extra time for passing the tunnel due to poor adhesion and two separate instances of flooding.

The units have entered service during the absolute height of leaf fall, on a sharply graded route in a period of continuous rain and wind causing appalling railhead conditions. Further, a Sandite application was missed on Sunday and TfW are not looking for any heroes in their drivers, so please stop timing them and await the performance of the class to be decided in due course.

Mrs. Fortescue

On Moderation
One of the re-liveried ones has been hit by the graffiti artists.... I think it’s 445. Can’t be 100 percent though.

it and half a 142 both sat in Canton with the graffiti on this morning.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Your method of rating the performance of an entire class by timing it through a tunnel on a black leaf fall day is not a particularly scientific method nor is it accurate I’m afraid.

The signaller has been stopping trains before the tunnel for most of the last three days and allowing extra time for passing the tunnel due to poor adhesion and two separate instances of flooding.

The units have entered service during the absolute height of leaf fall, on a sharply graded route in a period of continuous rain and wind causing appalling railhead conditions. Further, a Sandite application was missed on Sunday and TfW are not looking for any heroes in their drivers, so please stop timing them and await the performance of the class to be decided in due course.
Fine, we'll compare notes in a few months. For the record, I think I've travelled on the Rhymney line enough times to know whether or not a train is approaching the tunnel at caution or not. Sitting in the coach with the traction motors, it's easy to tell if the wheels are slipping or not. Likewise, it's easy to tell if a Pacer or 150 is slipping.

AdamWW

Established Member
The clue can be found in the train service as all trains are scheduled to run through to Bridgend on Saturday

That does indeed sound like quite a convincing clue.

Though the reverse would be less informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.