• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomtom1993

Hello, I have the “paper tests” tomorrow after getting pst the application paper sift. What tests are classed as the paper tests please? Are the computer tests done in the same day or different day?

Email states I will be there for 4 hours

Thanks

RyanC87

Hello, I have the “paper tests” tomorrow after getting pst the application paper sift. What tests are classed as the paper tests please? Are the computer tests done in the same day or different day?

Email states I will be there for 4 hours

Thanks
They do the computer tests and mmi on a separate day if you pass the first lot

Paper is the group bourdon, dials, statement, telephone directory, and tones.

Pretty much everything you need to pass is in this thread.

johnnymarr

Hi all

Thanks for your responses the other day

How long after the MMI and computer stage did it take for them to let you know you passed and were through to the last interview?

The paper to the second stage took about 10 days to hear

Thanks

JLyons

Hi all

Thanks for your responses the other day

How long after the MMI and computer stage did it take for them to let you know you passed and were through to the last interview?

The paper to the second stage took about 10 days to hear

Thanks
Can vary but they say within 5 working days, I always got my result back on the 5th working day

ademuzzy

Has anyone found any good resources to practice the memory test (TRP 1) and the dials test (TRP 2)?

I really want to practice these and ease my nerves a bit

RyanC87

Just found out today I got through to the driver managers interview! - any advice for this one?
Learn about the company. Plans, traction, routes, investments etc.

What a train driver does.

You'll have a few similar questions like the mmi

How you would overcome issues

Who your peers are, different colleagues etc.

Link everything back to safety, rules and procedures.

kallyvintage

Just found out today I got through to the driver managers interview! - any advice for this one?
Yeah, relax and be confident without sounding cocky.. I know its hard to do, but the DMI is just a little bit about yourself and what makes you the right choice for the role.
When I went in, I said to myself they obviously think I'm capable of the job, the DMI is just to weed out those people who give them a feeling or reason not to hire them.

Learn about the company. Plans, traction, routes, investments etc.

What a train driver does.

You'll have a few similar questions like the mmi

How you would overcome issues

Who your peers are, different colleagues etc.

Link everything back to safety, rules and procedures.
This also, x10

Chris1305

Just completed the Paper Tests today. Anyone else feel really deflated afterwards and not confident?
Also done them today. Im pretty certain i slipped up on the counting tones test. Felt everything else went ok.
Hard to gauge really.

Leavesontrack

Just completed the Paper Tests today. Anyone else feel really deflated afterwards and not confident?

Also done them today. Im pretty certain i slipped up on the counting tones test. Felt everything else went ok.
Hard to gauge really.
Well done for getting this far. I am still yet to hear if I have made it past the intial sift..

Try not to go over the tests.. (easier said than done) no one knows what the margin for error is..

congrats, you will be fine. Great advice on here to help.. dont put yourself under too much pressure, by sounds of a lot of examples on here it can be really relaxed as long as you know your stuff and demonstrate the skills reqiured to drive a train

Last edited:

richfoz84

They’re currently big on customer service. So be sure to include that into answers and make sure you come across as pro customer service too!

Armourer79

Trivial Q alert. I now have my Smart pass. Going to Chester today to carry out a face to face ID check (Passport is out of date)

Where I'm travelling from ... 1. Isn't a manned station 2. Means I have to get West Mids train 1st before getting free TFW travel

How do I go about getting 75% off the first part of my journey? Do the machines have the capability to read the smart IDs or do you show conductor on board?

craigybagel

Established Member
For now you'll need to pay full price on the West Midlands leg. You'll get your PRIV card giving you the 75% discount on other TOCs after you start - although even then strictly speaking you're not meant to use it to get to and from work, it's for leisure use only.

tomnpt83

I understand that once the tests are passed you have 5 years to get onto a course. Is it 5 years from the date you did the test or 5 years after you complete the 11/12 weeks classroom training? This is for TFW. Thanks in advance

Paddygee

I understand that once the tests are passed you have 5 years to get onto a course. Is it 5 years from the date you did the test or 5 years after you complete the 11/12 weeks classroom training? This is for TFW. Thanks in advance
You have 2 years from the date you took your paper tests to getting on a course with TFW…

Goosey

How long after you’ve emailed back do they usually let you know of the confirmation date?
Great news I’m on the assessment in Cardiff 20th November after the 3rd email, 2nd email I replied within 3 minutes and still wasn’t quick enough and 3rd email I just happened to be looking at my phone when it came through so replied literally within 20seconds

Chris1305

Ive just passed the paper tests :D and await a date for the computer tests.
Does anyone have reccomendations for practice material online?