• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

RyanC87

If you get accepted what does the talent pool entail? Can I pick any depot that comes available?
Has to be within an hour of home. You would have also applied for a particular depot.

Talent pool is just sitting and waiting for a start date but if you only applied for one depot you then can't pick and choose another

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ThePeakNed

If you get accepted what does the talent pool entail? Can I pick any depot that comes available?
The logic is you apply to whichever depot is nearest to your home address. If it transpires that there are a couple of depots that are within distance to your home address, then you will be asked which your preferred choice would be.

You'll sit in the talent pool for an undetermined amount of time until it is your time to be on a course.

johnnymarr

The logic is you apply to whichever depot is nearest to your home address. If it transpires that there are a couple of depots that are within distance to your home address, then you will be asked which your preferred choice would be.

You'll sit in the talent pool for an undetermined amount of time until it is your time to be on a course.
Ok thank you. I live within an hour or so of 2-3 depots

Chris1305

Hi everyone had my 2nd attempt at the paper tests on monday in cardiff. Had feedback from the first one only failed on the dots. Had did everyone else get on ? Anyone know how many lines to pass the dots ? Thanks
Not sure how many you need but i was getting 10-11 lines consistently and passed.

Chris1305

Yes 10-11 lines per section

By all accounts they want a balance of Speed and accuracy whilst being fairly consistent throughout the test. So no good doing 7 lines on the first section then 13 on the next and then back to 7. Try and stay consistent whilst going as fast as you can without making to many mistakes or omissions.

Samzino

By all accounts they want a balance of Speed and accuracy whilst being fairly consistent throughout the test. So no good doing 7 lines on the first section then 13 on the next and then back to 7. Try and stay consistent whilst going as fast as you can without making to many mistakes or omissions.
This from what I've heard from my mates that have passed. I'll confirm soon for myself. Currently in practice I'm a very consistent 11 on 3 pages and 12 on two.

I've on my last few daily tests tried to do them with some light sound distractions with the phone playing as I'm sure that it won't be fully quiet at the test place from the external world outside.

BOMPO83

Ah think i only done 6 to 7 per section on the day. Gutted. How are you llokong at 250 patterns in 2 minutes ? Fair play

Chris1305

Ah think i only done 6 to 7 per section on the day. Gutted. How are you llokong at 250 patterns in 2 minutes ? Fair play
It was Just practice. When i first started practicing I was getting 7-8 lines, but after a lot of practice you start to recognise the shapes of the patterns which helps. I think you end up learning to scan them rather than study each one because you lose to much time.

You may be ok if you were accurate. I dont think anyone knows the actual pass mark

johnnymarr

Failed the DMI - the email said the paper and computer/mmi count for 2 years. It also said this was the case the other driving companies, is this the case?

BOMPO83

It was Just practice. When i first started practicing I was getting 7-8 lines, but after a lot of practice you start to recognise the shapes of the patterns which helps. I think you end up learning to scan them rather than study each one because you lose to much time.

You may be ok if you were accurate. I dont think anyone knows the actual pass mark
Just had an email passed the paper tests !

Failed the DMI - the email said the paper and computer/mmi count for 2 years. It also said this was the case the other driving companies, is this the case?
Sorry to hear. They give you feedback?

harleyluna

Failed the DMI - the email said the paper and computer/mmi count for 2 years. It also said this was the case the other driving companies, is this the case ?
I also failed and my 6 months were up on the 26th Nov. Just waiting for openings in my local depot .

Samzino

Good evening, on the cables and dials aka trp2 did anyone answer below 20 questions out of the 43 and pass?

7819Hinton

Good evening, on the cables and dials aka trp2 did anyone answer below 20 questions out of the 43 and pass?
I’d be gob smacked if less than 50% equated to a pass, not that I or anyone knows the pass marks outside of the OPC.

Samzino

I’d be gob smacked if less than 50% equated to a pass, not that I or anyone knows the pass marks outside of the OPC.
I used to think that before reading up on several GB passes of 6-7 which is less than 50%. I did do some digging and noticed several people mention completing 20-23 and passing for an enhance toc with a high % so indeed whi knows haha.

Samzino

You're joking, right?
No joke, I've heard of 14 questions answered making the cut for opc but that could be down to a number of factors. More so just wondering if there's more people who've passed under the half m questions mark.

baz962

Established Member
I used to think that before reading up on several GB passes of 6-7 which is less than 50%. I did do some digging and noticed several people mention completing 20-23 and passing for an enhance toc with a high % so indeed whi knows haha.
I done around 8-9 lines on the group bourdon test and 22 or 23 out of 40 odd on the dials. My passes were in the top 2% and high enough for every toc.

Samzino

I done around 8-9 lines on the group bourdon test and 22 or 23 out of 40 odd on the dials. My passes were in the top 2% and high enough for every toc.
Dang that is very good. GB I really enjoyed was about 11 or 12 average with no errors or omissions that I can remember. Practiced for that once a day for a week. Tea OCC and trp 1 was great, finished trp 1 and had quite a bit of time to check answers.

7819Hinton

Wow!! I didn’t realise the standard was that low. No offence intended.

GB is more to do with accuracy and consistency.. so I can believe 7 lines maybe would be good enough if close to perfect, but again none of us know what the pass marks are.

NorthernTech

Yeah, I wouldn’t have practiced these quite so much if I’d known the pass mark had been so low. Again, no offence, but I was getting way more on GB and a few more on Dials, working on accuracy rather than speed. I’ve no idea how you know your results and how you score nationally, im just glad I passed.

baz962

Established Member
Yeah, I wouldn’t have practiced these quite so much if I’d known the pass mark had been so low. Again, no offence, but I was getting way more on GB and a few more on Dials, working on accuracy rather than speed. I’ve no idea how you know your results and how you score nationally, im just glad I passed.
After I started training with London Overground , we had a day where the OPC sent someone to teach us how to learn quickly. On that day they told our whole group that we were in the top 2%.
We weren't told our actual scores , but we were given paperwork that showed how we compared to each other.

Samzino

I know they take into account several different factors ontop of the questions answered. They did mention there is a different weightings and factors that make it all up.

7819Hinton

I know they take into account several different factors ontop of the questions answered. They did mention there is a different weightings and factors that make it all up.
What other factors???
The cut of your jib, the way you enter a room, your posture when seated.. :lol:
surely TRP2 is all about how many you complete and how many you get right.. not really sure what other factors come in to play for that test..
GB, there is a little more to it and indeed I see how the weightings come into play.
Definitely consistency of speed is key. Accuracy obviously and to a lesser extent though still very important, lines completed. I guess corrections will also play a part.

Samzino

What other factors???
The cut of your jib, the way you enter a room, your posture when seated.. :lol:
surely TRP2 is all about how many you complete and how many you get right.. not really sure what other factors come in to play for that test..
GB, there is a little more to it and indeed I see how the weightings come into play.
Definitely consistency of speed is key. Accuracy obviously and to a lesser extent though still very important, lines completed. I guess corrections will also play a part.
There is going to be other weighting factors that come into it. The score clearly fluctuates between tocs for one. People have passed in this fourm from what I've seen with 14 out of 43. The standard isn't defined as insinuated at more than half = a pass.

Plus also one forgets there is the enhanced weighting that has its own cut off point ontop of the national. Plenty have got enhanced with low 20s.

At the end of the day however its just speculation how they assess but... From what I've seen on the fourm it does show people are able to pass below 20(Mainly high 10s).

NorthernTech

After I started training with London Overground , we had a day where the OPC sent someone to teach us how to learn quickly. On that day they told our whole group that we were in the top 2%.
We weren't told our actual scores , but we were given paperwork that showed how we compared to each other.
That’s quite good, and set you up quite well for the test. Quite an insight. Did you compare as a group? Was there quite a big variety of answers across the group?

7819Hinton

There is going to be other weighting factors that come into it. The score clearly fluctuates between tocs for one. People have passed in this fourm from what I've seen with 14 out of 43. The standard isn't defined as insinuated at more than half = a pass.

Plus also one forgets there is the enhanced weighting that has its own cut off point ontop of the national. Plenty have got enhanced with low 20s.

At the end of the day however its just speculation how they assess but... From what I've seen on the fourm it does show people are able to pass below 20(Mainly high 10s).

I would take ‘a lot’ of what you read on this forum with a dollop of salt.
So much incorrect information passed off as ‘fact’, when it’s little more than someone’s opinion.
It’s an eye opener.

7819Hinton

Surely the national standard is the national standard.
I appreciate no one really knows what enhanced means. It could mean an additional test, high pass rates on some tests, or a mixture of both.
So enhanced with low 20’s is probably more likely standard and very poor standard at that.
I’ll agree with you in that it’s all speculation.

Samzino

Surely the national standard is the national standard.
I appreciate no one really knows what enhanced means. It could mean an additional test, high pass rates on some tests, or a mixture of both.
So enhanced with low 20’s is probably more likely standard and very poor standard at that.
I’ll agree with you in that it’s all speculation.
I mean our fellow forum member Baz, did say they got enhanced with Arriva Overground on 22-23 dials, as you say we don't know what defines national standard or what defines enhanced. But having a rough idea is possible based on what said persons that took the test may be able to recall, progress wise. I've never read about anyone pass under 14 questions answered as of current, agreed that means nothing as not everyone that sits these tests are on the forum and yes it could be utter nonsense that someone claims to have passed with 14 to national standard on this forum but then again outside of them and more importantly the OPC, who'd know for certain?

But its some numeric data and for trying to see how the results and pass rates may differ.

Last edited: