• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Leavesontrack

Mine asked me to indicate if I had a preference for either or not. I also had list of locations, but Cardiff was the only one within 1 hr

Where are you going for?

Wowzers Mrt83... they must have wanted you badly.... what was your profession before if you mind me asking???

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mrt83

Wowzers Mrt83... they must have wanted you badly.... what was your profession before if you mind me asking???
Lol, assumed it was a standard email, think others on here have had similar. I was a retail manager for many years, now work in financial services. I'm still waiting on medical though.

Leemini

Mine asked me to indicate if I had a preference for either or not. I also had list of locations, but Cardiff was the only one within 1 hr

Where are you going for?
I wasn't given the option but live in merthyr so assume it would be valleys line. Would take either tbh. Have they given u a date for the medical yet

Mrt83

I wasn't given the option but live in merthyr so assume it would be valleys line. Would take either tbh. Have they given u a date for the medical yet
I said either as well. No haven't had a date yet. Only been in pool since november so may be a while longer.

craigybagel

Established Member
Are TfW taking trainees directly into the Mainline links at Cardiff now?

Ever since Wales & West / Valley Lines it used to be you had to serve your sentence on the Valleys before you got to go Mainline.
Surprisingly enough, yes. They've recruited directly for guards for mainline in the past but I do believe this is the first time in many years drivers have gone straight to mainline.
That said, the bottom link on the mainline side of the depot isn't all that different from the Valleys - it's mostly trips to Ebbw Vale, Maesteg and around the VOG to Bridgend I believe. Not much class 1 work in there.
If you're application is specifically for Cardiff then your being in Merthyr shouldn't make any difference. Both the Valleys and Mainline depots are based out of the same building in Cardiff and where you live shouldn't come in to it. If you've applied for the other depots near to you however (Treherbert, Rhymney and the new depot at Taffs Well if they're recruiting for there yet) then you'll be on the Valleys network as those depots only work there.

Slipper

Hi all. For anyone that has started training, when did you finnish the recruitment process please? I had an email on the 4th of September to say I am in the pool, awaiting for courses. Trying to get a rough idea of when I may get a call up. Cheers

Boydy

Hi Slipper. Passed the mmi and entered the pool early August. Started training in November.
Good luck - Hopefully you get the call soon.

Slipper

Thanks Boydy, roughly a month between us then, wonder how many got through in that time? Hope the course is going well mate.

Hi Slipper. Passed the mmi and entered the pool early August. Started training in November.
Good luck - Hopefully you get the call soon.
Forgot to ask, now you have started, have they mentioned anything about how regular courses will be in 2021? At the MMI I was told every month, but not sure If covid has scuppered any plans

Last edited:

Slipper

I was put in talent pool on 18/11

I went into the talent pool at the beginning of September :s. I was told at the time your position in the talent pool was related to the date you went in. Not sure what to think now

6opher

I went into the talent pool at the beginning of September :s. I was told at the time your position in the talent pool was related to the date you went in. Not sure what to think now
That’s not the normal procedure. You normally have your interview scored and then get allocated a position in the pool depending on how well you did. So you could pass your MMI the same day as someone else and theoretically start 2 years apart.

That’s how it worked when I applied a few years ago anyway.

Slipper

That’s not the normal procedure. You normally have your interview scored and then get allocated a position in the pool depending on how well you did. So you could pass your MMI the same day as someone else and theoretically start 2 years apart.

That’s how it worked when I applied a few years ago anyway.

I asked that very question at the computer assessment though and was told the MMI was pass/fail and if you passed you were placed in the pool in order of date of MMI. Either the procedures have changed or I have been given duff information. I thought the MMI went really well, and was actually told after the interview that I had passed.

I may try and contact Laura for some clarification.

Cheers

6opher

I asked that very question at the computer assessment though and was told the MMI was pass/fail and if you passed you were placed in the pool in order of date of MMI. Either the procedures have changed or I have been given duff information. I thought the MMI went really well, and was actually told after the interview that I had passed.

I may try and contact Laura for some clarification.

Cheers

If you’ve been told that then process must have changed. With so many jobs coming up they probably aren’t that bothered with whatever order people come through during this recruitment process as they are going to get what they need anyway.

Ask what position you are in the pool when you contact them. Good luck to you.

Slipper

If you’ve been told that then process must have changed. With so many jobs coming up they probably aren’t that bothered with whatever order people come through during this recruitment process as they are going to get what they need anyway.

Ask what position you are in the pool when you contact them. Good luck to you.
Thanks a lot, hopefully won't be too long now. Take care

Leemini

I had an email off Laura to. Replied within 40mins but didn't have a reply back. Hope I haven't missed out

Hey all anyone else have an email off Laura today ref medical appointments?
Good luck with the appointment today

Last edited:

CPFC#1

I was told I was put in the pool from the date I sat the paper tests. But haven't been told anything about whether you are in order from the dates or if it's from your performance. Would be interesting to know either way.

JustJim93

Hi, well done to everyone who has got in! Anybody had an email off Laura about assessment dates for the Carmarthen depot? Thank you.

Welsh lady

I had an email off Laura to. Replied within 40mins but didn't have a reply back. Hope I haven't missed out

Good luck with the appointment today
Thank you! Hopefully she comes back to you today! I've had to have further analysis for my drugs test. Apparently cocodamol is under the same category as heroin! So they've gotta check that's all it is.. passed everything else though.