• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sparky9909

Hey guys, first time posting. Found out I passed the DMI and have been added to the talent pool.

Does anyone know how much holidays etc you get with TFW? Got excited today as Laura emailed asking for the number best to contact me on but didn’t get a phone call after I sent her my number lol
Hi mate congrats passing im not sure about holidays etc but id be intrested to know that also

When did you sit your mmi

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wobman

On Moderation
Hey guys, first time posting. Found out I passed the DMI and have been added to the talent pool.

Does anyone know how much holidays etc you get with TFW? Got excited today as Laura emailed asking for the number best to contact me on but didn’t get a phone call after I sent her my number lol
TFW HR department are very busy with all the recruitment, so like people say it's a case of being patient.
What depot are you going to ?

Your entitled to 28 days but you have to inform HR of any booked leave during the classroom time, it would interfere with your training schedule.

Then once with your DI you follow their shift pattern and inform the resource dept of planned leave, once passed out you get given block leave. 1 week Spring 2 weeks summer 1 week winter the remaining days are Ad Hoc to be used. It's difficult to get the leave you want if it's in summer holidays etc but it's the way the leave is allocated.

RyanMabey12

TFW HR department are very busy with all the recruitment, so like people say it's a case of being patient.
What depot are you going to ?

Your entitled to 28 days but you have to inform HR of any booked leave during the classroom time, it would interfere with your training schedule.

Then once with your DI you follow their shift pattern and inform the resource dept of planned leave, once passed out you get given block leave. 1 week Spring 2 weeks summer 1 week winter the remaining days are Ad Hoc to be used. It's difficult to get the leave you want if it's in summer holidays etc but it's the way the leave is allocated.
Thanks mate, yeah appreciate the HR dept is really busy that’s why I haven’t pestered them. Just got excited when they asked me to send them my phone number lol.

No hols booked was just curious. Thanks for the info, they did mention the adhc days etc.

I sat pretty much all my tests within a few weeks done my MMI on the 22nd of Sept. Had my DMI Wednesday and found out I passed it all yesterday so pretty quick

6opher

I wonder if applicants realise that TFW drivers work a committed 1 in 3 Sundays as overtime in most depots !

Plus it's shifts through 24/7 in the bigger depots, the only non working days are Christmas & Boxing day except for the frost protection overtime staff.

The TFW franchise committment is an increase in Sunday services, so a full 7 day railway is there aim. Plus more added early and late night services aswell, aswell as more routes and extra services in the near future.

It's an exciting time especially with the new traction now on test and replacing an aged fleet that TFW have now.

Not exactly true about working 1 in 3 Sundays at this present time. I have 8 in a 48 week link so that’s an average of 1 in 6. Sometimes can go 8/9 weeks without a rostered one and other times you could be rostered 2 in 3/4 weeks.
Can see it being 1 in 3 in the future though as Sundays could fall within the working week one day.

Last edited:

wobman

On Moderation
Not exactly true about working 1 in 3 Sundays at this present time. I have 8 in a 48 week link so that’s an average of 1 in 6. Sometimes can go 8/9 weeks without a rostered one and other times you could be rostered 2 in 3/4 weeks.
Can see it being 1 in 3 in the future though as Sundays could fall within the working week one day.
I can assure you some depots at TFW do work 1 in 3 Sundays as it is, other depots have less work than others.
At the depot in question it's 12 Sundays in a 42 line link, Which equates to 1 in 3.5 to be exact
It's all depot dependent and the same goes for shifts and work quantity.

6opher

I can assure you some depots at TFW do work 1 in 3 Sundays as it is, other depots have less work than others.
At the depot in question it's 12 Sundays in a 42 line link, Which equates to 1 in 3.5 to be exact
It's all depot dependent and the same goes for shifts and work quantity.

Ah that’s fair enough.
Glad I’m not in that depot then :)

craigybagel

Established Member
1 in 6 is I believe only normal on the Valleys. For the rest of us they tend to be more often (1 in 4.5 in my link for example).

Swings and roundabouts; I'd rather work more Sundays then put up with the Valleys' intensive diagrams day in day out! And if TfW get their way and Sundays come inside the working week it'll all be moot anyway.

wobman

On Moderation
1 in 6 is I believe only normal on the Valleys. For the rest of us they tend to be more often (1 in 4.5 in my link for example).

Swings and roundabouts; I'd rather work more Sundays then put up with the Valleys' intensive diagrams day in day out! And if TfW get their way and Sundays come inside the working week it'll all be moot anyway.
I know what you mean Sundays are going to be full working days in the future, not looking forward to 2am starts on a Sunday... It's bad enough doing them silly shifts Monday to Saturday !

Leospinks

Start date confirmed 22nd November absolutely buzzing and emotional at the same time. Anyone else on the Cardiff course?

Jonno271

Start date confirmed 22nd November absolutely buzzing and emotional at the same time. Anyone else on the Cardiff course?
Congratulations, I can only imagine the emotions! I'm a way behind having just found out I passed the stage 1 paper tests for Cardiff this morning.

It seems like things are gathering pace now, can I ask how long since you sat your first tests?

Leospinks

First interview over zoom was april 2020 then written tests July and computer tests and last interview August. In talent pool since early last September

Jonno271

First interview over zoom was april 2020 then written tests July and computer tests and last interview August. In talent pool since early last September
Ah a slightly different order too, no doubt a covid thing.

Well, congrats again and best of luck on the course.

BR98

Did you have a medical before they let you know your course date or haven’t you had the medical yet?