• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

JRogers92

Hi, im hoping to get booked in soon for an assessment day, although the emails say 'paper tests only' , looking through the booklet they send out for assistance it mentions the MMI, is this included in the assessment day? I was thinking of prepping for it anyway.
I was also looking at the 'how2become' website for extra tests and break down on what is required, anyone used this before and recommend? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mine went paper assessments in a hotel.
Computer assessments and mmi a few weeks later.
Then finally DMI a few weeks after that.
I only used the material they sent me for practice.
This forum is great for answers too. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simotrfc

Hi, im hoping to get booked in soon for an assessment day, although the emails say 'paper tests only' , looking through the booklet they send out for assistance it mentions the MMI, is this included in the assessment day? I was thinking of prepping for it anyway.
I was also looking at the 'how2become' website for extra tests and break down on what is required, anyone used this before and recommend? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Focus on paper tests, Pass, then focus on the next stage. No point thinking to far ahead my man

Looks like South Wales are doing paper then computer tests over two dates whereas North Wales, Chester, Crewe & Shrewsbury are being invited to sit psychometrics in one day.

Goodwills

Mine went paper assessments in a hotel.
Computer assessments and mmi a few weeks later.
Then finally DMI a few weeks after that.
I only used the material they sent me for practice.
This forum is great for answers too. :)
Thank you for this, appreciate it

Focus on paper tests, Pass, then focus on the next stage. No point thinking to far ahead my man
Thanks again

jessica1306

Thanks
Hi, best of luck for the paper tests! I didn’t purchase any guides but used things online and the practice pack they sent.

There is also this brilliant online resource for Group Bourdon which I used both online and also screenshotted to print out and try on paper like the actual test.

There is plenty of info on this forum for the high/low tones test; this thread I found really helpful—

Goodwills

Hi, best of luck for the paper tests! I didn’t purchase any guides but used things online and the practice pack they sent.

There is also this brilliant online resource for Group Bourdon which I used both online and also screenshotted to print out and try on paper like the actual test.

There is plenty of info on this forum for the high/low tones test; this thread I found really helpful—

That’s great thanks. I’ve also downloaded the group bourdon test and printed several out to practice.

Welshman1

Computer tests and MMI done, waiting game now so relieved it’s all over. Possibly DMI if successful. The assessor said there wouldn’t be a long wait if successful as there are not many in the pool

mark01348

Wow there's lots of movement going on now..exciting. Well done to all so far.
I am booked for paper tests on 2nd Feb at Cardiff.
Anyone got tips for TRP? Is it tones and directory?
Have downloaded all the software I can find and read the prep material a thousand times. Fingers crossed!

Welshman1

Just found out I passed the assessments, and the MMI. I got my DMI on Monday ! So excited, is the interview with two managers ?

Simotrfc

Just found out I passed the assessments, and the MMI. I got my DMI on Monday ! So excited, is the interview with two managers ?
yes mate with two. Research a bit about the company and the role / expectations of a driver and go over your answers from the MMI. Think about customer service and conflict resolution as well. Good luck!

Welshman1

yes mate with two. Research a bit about the company and the role / expectations of a driver and go over your answers from the MMI. Think about customer service and conflict resolution as well. Good luck!
Thanks for this mate, hopefully I will be fresh it’s 9am, and I’m not a fan of the teams interviews, would much rather face to face.

Jonno271

Thanks for this mate, hopefully I will be fresh it’s 9am, and I’m not a fan of the teams interviews, would much rather face to face.
I had my DMI just before Christmas. Like you I'd much prefer face to face but the Teams interview went well and the two DM's were excellent, very personable and made me feel at ease. I actually quite enjoyed it so don't get too stressed about it, they just want to see the real you and make sure you're a good fit.

Welshman1

I had my DMI just before Christmas. Like you I'd much prefer face to face but the Teams interview went well and the two DM's were excellent, very personable and made me feel at ease. I actually quite enjoyed it so don't get too stressed about it, they just want to see the real you and make sure you're a good fit.
Thanks, that’s good to hear. Are you in the Pool now ? I heard there are not many left in the pool from the assessors.

RailLad23

Hello, congratulations to everyone who has already heard, passed and in the pool :)!

I applied a couple of years back, and last email was around Nov 2021 to advise I’m still in the process I’ve passed the other stage and they will be in touch, seems be taking a while, just wondering if anyone else was still waiting? I have email the contact a few times with no response.

Welshman1

Hello, congratulations to everyone who has already heard, passed and in the pool :)!

I applied a couple of years back, and last email was around Nov 2021 to advise I’m still in the process I’ve passed the other stage and they will be in touch, seems be taking a while, just wondering if anyone else was still waiting? I have email the contact a few times with no response.
When you say you have passed the other stage, do you mean the the applications ? Or have you sat any assessments ?

jessica1306

Hi, been following the forum. I've had an email today to say my dmi is next week, just wondering how yours went this week? Thanks :)
So pleased you got a dmi! Congrats!

I feel mine went well, at risk of jinxing it - a fair few positive comments after questions and never was stuck for an answer. So, fingers crossed! :) Took dot on an hour with about 6 sections based around different, and I think all, aspects of the role. The interviewers were very nice :)

Tubey96

So pleased you got a dmi! Congrats!

I feel mine went well, at risk of jinxing it - a fair few positive comments after questions and never was stuck for an answer. So, fingers crossed! :) Took dot on an hour with about 6 sections based around different, and I think all, aspects of the role. The interviewers were very nice :)
thank you! ah it sounds like yours went really well! I've got my fingers crossed for you, when are they letting you know? :)

jessica1306

thank you! ah it sounds like yours went really well! I've got my fingers crossed for you, when are they letting you know? :)
They don’t actually make the decision but send it back to recruitment apparently - or something along those lines. So I think roughly next week perhaps! Thank you very much though :)