• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

welshlady

I know this is for train drivers but has anyone got any experience of train despatch test ? I’ve got one coming up in Chester soon and the forum seems to have everything else but this info

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman1

So pleased you got a dmi! Congrats!

I feel mine went well, at risk of jinxing it - a fair few positive comments after questions and never was stuck for an answer. So, fingers crossed! :) Took dot on an hour with about 6 sections based around different, and I think all, aspects of the role. The interviewers were very nice :)
So when you say questions about the role, do you mean they ask you what challenges there may be and how you would overcome them ? Because unless you know someone how are we to know the role ? We can only go off the job spec.

jessica1306

So when you say questions about the role, do you mean they ask you what challenges there may be and how you would overcome them ? Because unless you know someone how are we to know the role ? We can only go off the job spec.
There was nothing technical—they asked about customer service “who do you consider a customer”, about working with the wider network/colleagues “who do you consider your colleagues”, situational judgement sort of questions asking what would you do in this scenario, how you would keep up to date with changes both last minute, in the long term and if you were away on annual leave and coming back.

Once or twice they asked some that were more specific to the role such as “what sort of things do you expect to have to look out for while doing the job”. But I just said signals, speed checks, changes I notice etc.

Hope this helps!

Welshman1

I know this is for train drivers but has anyone got any experience of train despatch test ? I’ve got one coming up in Chester soon and the forum seems to have everything else but this info
you listen to a sequence, basically there is woman which says train ready depart followed by a whistle and horn. You need to make sure they are in the correct order if they are then train is safe to depart. Second part is the same but there is a customer asking what line to catch for certain stations. The map is in front of you so you can see but make sure you prioritise if the train is safe to depart.

welshlady

you listen to a sequence, basically there is woman which says train ready depart followed by a whistle and horn. You need to make sure they are in the correct order if they are then train is safe to depart. Second part is the same but there is a customer asking what line to catch for certain stations. The map is in front of you so you can see but make sure you prioritise if the train is safe to depart.
Thank you , I’ve been looking everywhere and there is nowhere with guidance .

wobman

On Moderation
I was wondering How are the new trainee drivers going on their course that started at Chester on the 17th ????

Tubey96

I had mine today also, I was told Friday or Monday I should hear by. How did you feel it went I think i let nerves get the better of me on some questions.
I think mine went okay, they kept saying ‘good answer’ but who knows. I’m sure you’ve done great! It’s the waiting that’s driving me crazy

Welshman1

I think mine went okay, they kept saying ‘good answer’ but who knows. I’m sure you’ve done great! It’s the waiting that’s driving me crazy
Ye same here the waiting is horrible. I’ll update you here soon as I hear anything. Where did you apply for would it be valleys ?

Welshman1

At the end of mine i was thrown of a bit, after the interview was completed one of the managers started going in to pay etc, which i hadn't asked about and also that when a course started i would have to bring proof of address, but then added if i was successful. I didnt know whether to take that as good sign or whether everyone had similar experience ?

Yuk767

At the end of mine i was thrown of a bit, after the interview was completed one of the managers started going in to pay etc, which i hadn't asked about and also that when a course started i would have to bring proof of address, but then added if i was successful. I didnt know whether to take that as good sign or whether everyone had similar experience ?
They did mention pay and course details etc.

Sparky9909

Ahh ok, that's my issue TFW are the only TOC i can apply for as i am from the valleys. Some people pass the assessments and have the luxury of applying for multiple TOCs
You could always apply fof GWR and be based in swansea. If its that much of an issue applying for the TOC thats provides service for your local area you you could always give your chance to another candidate that would appriate the chance

Welshman1

You could always apply fof GWR and be based in swansea. If its that much of an issue applying for the TOC thats provides service for your local area you you could always give your chance to another candidate that would appriate the chance
Yes, you have completely misunderstood the point, but ok

My point was TFW are the only TOC I can apply for without having to relocate. There is no issue with them, only the people who say when you fail DMI “ you have the assessments under your belt” you will probably know yourself, that trainee driver jobs after this will be few and far between, and assessments from this recruitment would probably expired. So the point I’m making is that I felt that added pressure that’s all

Last edited: