• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

mic1610

Cardiff depot I assume as I live just up the Valley line. Plenty to read through over the next couple of days :D.

Is the 1st assessment day just the paper tests or is some of the other sections of the process included?
That will specify in your invitation email

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Carolinemcm

I applied at the beginning of September 2020… Laura asked for my NI number July 2021. Still had no invite to assessment. Emailed a couple of times but no response. Reckon I’m still in the running?! Applied for Chester :)

wobman

On Moderation
I applied at the beginning of September 2020… Laura asked for my NI number July 2021. Still had no invite to assessment. Emailed a couple of times but no response. Reckon I’m still in the running?! Applied for Chester :)
There's a backlog of trainees waiting for DIs at Chester so maybe recruitment has slowed down, especially with the 2 new types of trains being introduced thos year. The effects of covid pandemic delays are still ongoing and won't be resolved for quite some time unfortunately.

Pbowles87

I have my Computer tests and MMI interview this week. For those of you that have done this recently does the MMI interview just consist of the 6 questions I provided a short, written answer to on my 1st assessment day or are there likely to be any additional questions?
I feel as prepared as I can be for those questions just want to know if theres likely to be any curveballs thrown my way.

Welshman1

I have my Computer tests and MMI interview this week. For those of you that have done this recently does the MMI interview just consist of the 6 questions I provided a short, written answer to on my 1st assessment day or are there likely to be any additional questions?
I feel as prepared as I can be for those questions just want to know if theres likely to be any curveballs thrown my way.
Just those questions, but they may ask questions within each answer. For example what would you do different, how did that make you feel etc

mic1610

Is there a long wait for letter about the medical after the phone call? Was told there's little bit of a delay of them coming through

Last edited:

mark01348

Is there a long wait for letter about the medical after the phone call? Was told there's little bit of a delay of them coming through
I think I waited about 14 days for my medical letter. Plenty or time. Mine ain't till 19th

Last edited:

wobman

On Moderation
Why is it surprising there is another course?
There's a big backlog at Chester depot of trainees without DIs and adding more to that backlog is surprising.
If the trainees are for other North Wales or English depots its not as bad, that's why the question has been asked.

BrokenSam

Probably due to driver instructor shortage, but that may have eased by then. There will be people on here who are better informed than myself.
Pretty much this. Some trainees have only just got DI's after sitting at home for over 6 months. Its because of Covid admittedly but they're only just able to work through backlog.

craigybagel

Established Member
To be fair the July starters won't need DIs until October/November and the current batch of trainees with them should hopefully be passed out by then. AIUI Chester hasn't had that many trainees lately compared to the other depots in the North despite having the largest headcount. With the January and March groups filling up Crewe (the next largest depot) it's hard not to see the July course needing at least some Chester drivers to make up the numbers.

craigybagel

Established Member
The January Course at Chester was:
2 Shrewsbury
2 Pwllheli
2 Llandudno Junction
2 Holyhead
8-)
Ah yes, I got the January course mixed with the November one for some reason (which was meant to be 4 Crewe and 4 Chester but ended up by day one with all 8 for Crewe).

wobman

On Moderation
What an idiot that guy is! Lol

I have no idea. Just how it is I suppose. I recognise I'm in a privileged position.
There's a few extra DIs joining the ranks at Chester now, that's what I've heard from the messrooms. I feel sorry for the trainees going to other depots for their hours only to start again on there core routes.

BrokenSam

There's a few extra DIs joining the ranks at Chester now, that's what I've heard from the messrooms. I feel sorry for the trainees going to other depots for their hours only to start again on there core routes.
Do you have any idea if they get put up in hotels in that outcome? Wouldn't mind a bit of that to get driving hours up and running to be honest.

wobman

On Moderation
Do you have any idea if they get put up in hotels in that outcome? Wouldn't mind a bit of that to get driving hours up and running to be honest.
They did with one lad that was sent to the valleys but he had to start again as the hours were non core routes