• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

craigybagel

Established Member
Most of the time they're shipped off to nearby depots so no hotel necessary. That said there's so many trainees all across the network, and fewer DIs available to begin with due to traction training, that there isn't much chance of a free DI even at other depots. Even Cardiff Mainline which traditionally never took on trainees has a load out at the moment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BrokenSam

They did with one lad that was sent to the valleys but he had to start again as the hours were non core routes
Interesting. Thanks.

Most of the time they're shipped off to nearby depots so no hotel necessary. That said there's so many trainees all across the network, and fewer DIs available to begin with due to traction training, that there isn't much chance of a free DI even at other depots. Even Cardiff Mainline which traditionally never took on trainees has a load out at the moment.
Must be difficult to try and organise. Thanks for info.

Carrollg76

Great news! When did you both apply?! :)
Sep 2020, not heard anything for ages even though I email recruitment a few times. Written any hope of progress off but then had an email a few weeks back asking if I’m still interested. No news is good news as they say.

Miss M

Sep 2020, not heard anything for ages even though I email recruitment a few times. Written any hope of progress off but then had an email a few weeks back asking if I’m still interested. No news is good news as they say.
That’s amazing! Best of luck, sure you’ll be brilliant :)

Pbowles87

Got the news today that I passed the computer tests and MMI last week and have my DMI next week. Was hoping for a little longer to prep but hopefully have enough time to get myself ready for it. This forum along with some others more specific to the different stages of the process have been a great help in getting me this far

Logger79

Got the news today that I passed the computer tests and MMI last week and have my DMI next week. Was hoping for a little longer to prep but hopefully have enough time to get myself ready for it. This forum along with some others more specific to the different stages of the process have been a great help in getting me this far
Good luck!

BOMPO83

Thanks for the replies. Yeh definetly no guessing..learnt that from stage one when they mentioned negative marking.

I remember closing a page on the paper tests and seeing something in the directory I didn't circle and was kicking myself haha!

I will probably use it more to just try and make my mind sharper to things.

Just going to think positive and do my best.
I guess some nervousness is good because it drives you to try harder. Roll on Wednesday.
Done the exact same thing missed one on the directory. I think i done well can't be sure. What you reckon the margin of error is on the written tests ?

danludd

I have my DMI tomorrow morning :D slightly bricking it but excited as well. Good luck to anyone else with interviews this week.

I'm in the Cardiff pool! Over the moon. Anybody know how many people are waiting?
Amazing news! Not related to your question, but how did you find the DMI? do you remember what sort of questions you were asked?

Last edited:

Jacob Didcote

TfW have opened another opening for a batch of Trainee Drivers! Might as well shoot my shot! I wonder if TfW are put off if you have a few applications already open?

Jessiie1990

Evening! Was in the middle of applying for Trainee Driver at Cardiff originally due to close on the 22nd April. I had my application ready to be submitted tonight. I was just making some final adustments, I've logged back into the Comeaboard website and it saying it closed yesterday! Anyone know if this is a website error?! I'm perplexed also very frustrated!!!! :frown::frown::frown: Anyone else have the same issue or is it still open anywhere else so I can submit ASAP?

Leavesontrack

Evening! Was in the middle of applying for Trainee Driver at Cardiff originally due to close on the 22nd April. I had my application ready to be submitted tonight. I was just making some final adustments, I've logged back into the Comeaboard website and it saying it closed yesterday! Anyone know if this is a website error?! I'm perplexed also very frustrated!!!! :frown::frown::frown: Anyone else have the same issue or is it still open anywhere else so I can submit ASAP?

Thats so frustrating...It was open this morning. I got notified through a job alert from the website this morning. Started going through the process, past an inital screener, then needed to login into my account (i had forgotten my details so decided to sort it on my computer when I got home...) By the time I managed to get my details and new password it was no longer available...

Jessiie1990

Thats so frustrating...It was open this morning. I got notified through a job alert from the website this morning. Started going through the process, past an inital screener, then needed to login into my account (i had forgotten my details so decided to sort it on my computer when I got home...) By the time I managed to get my details and new password it was no longer available...
SO FRUSTRATING!! When I logged on this evening it said it closed yesterday, I don't understand how that's fair. Atleast close it this evening!!! GAAAAH!

Carrollg76

Just found out passed paper tests, prepping for the next stage, what is DMI? What does it consist off?

Think it went well ! Was you there at 10am ? What you make of it
How did you get on? Just found out progressing to next stage. Got computer and mmi on Tuesday.

BOMPO83

Just found out passed paper tests, prepping for the next stage, what is DMI? What does it consist off?

How did you get on? Just found out progressing to next stage. Got computer and mmi on Tuesday.
No email yet

No email yet
Wonder if they let me know either way

Congratulations to !

Pbowles87

DMI is Driver Manager Interview. It will be the next stage after your computer assessments and MMI if you pass.

DMI is what I would call a more regular, formal interview and where you get to talk about yourself in detail and provide examples of things you have done and be asked questions about what you would do in certain situations if successful in getting the role.

Good luck with the computer tests and MMI.

Trevormax

A little information for anyone wanting to apply for TfW,

They have changed their recruitment policy since the last big recruitment. From now on, they will be doing more frequent but smaller recruitments. This means they will likely have application limits each time they advertise (probably 500 but no firm info), and that the closing date is almost always going to be irrelevant, as they will usually hit their limit within a day, tops. This is what happened this week when they advertised jobs, which is why some people were unlucky when trying to apply. Two people I know were half way through applying when it closed, and a few more people I know didn't even get that far as they were in work and planning to complete it when they got home (well before the closing date). I suppose a benefit of this is that they will probably do another recruitment in a month or two once they go through this last batch.

As such, you need to be checking the website daily, because when the add drops it will fill up fast, so you need to know about it A.S.A.P before it closes again. I would highly suggest you get possible answers to questions typed up now and be ready to copy/paste them too. Have the answers on your phone too, because you might not be in a position to get home to apply on your computer.

A friend of mine who did manage to get his app in says there were only 5 questions. He can't remember all of them, but says they were along the lines of:
- why do you want to be a train driver/why are you applying
- what do you think the day to day life of a driver is
- name a time when health and safety has played a role in an incident you have dealt with
- name a time when you have been under pressure to make a decision
- he cant remember the fifth.

Good luck.

Last edited:

LRV3004

Should the second question read:
“What do you THINK the day to day life of a driver is”?