• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

jessica1306

Does anybody know what the process of re-applying is like? Passed all the tests first time round, but failed DMI (thought I did really well, but I think there was only a one or two talent pool spots available) ...Wondering if I should wait for the 6 months to be up and go again with TfW, or apply for different ToC sooner. If I do wait the 6 months, do I just submit application like last time, hope I pass the paper sift again and assume they'll notice I passed the tests? If so, would I then have to wait for the DMI's to come up again along with the candidates doing the assessments in the next round of recruitment?
Hi, exactly this happened to me and now I’m in the Talent Pool. Waited just over 6 months, reapplied for another depot, still TfW, and got through paper sift. When they said I’d got through the initial stage and they said they would be in contact regarding the paper/computer tests and MMI I emailed with the info requested (national insurance etc) and also mentioning I had already passed the tests on X date.

Heard nothing, then a call asking if I’d like another depot as it was far closer to my home address which I agreed to interview with, even though was the same interviewers as the previous DMI. Then a bit after that I got an email giving day/time for DMI and found out about 10 days later I passed.

So yes, you’d have to wait for next round of DMIs but I expect will be sooner than if you had to go for the tests as that’s far more time to organise.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RyanC87

Does anybody know what the process of re-applying is like? Passed all the tests first time round, but failed DMI (thought I did really well, but I think there was only a one or two talent pool spots available) ...Wondering if I should wait for the 6 months to be up and go again with TfW, or apply for different ToC sooner. If I do wait the 6 months, do I just submit application like last time, hope I pass the paper sift again and assume they'll notice I passed the tests? If so, would I then have to wait for the DMI's to come up again along with the candidates doing the assessments in the next round of recruitment?
When did you do the dmi.

That part isn't counted, so you could go to another toc if you live within an hour of them. The whole enhanced or standard pass comes into play, some have different pass marks.

If you wait for tfw then you apply with paper app and then you can email to say you've passed it all before and they should allow you through.

Pendinas

Thanks for the replies, I initially applied in late November for Machynlleth (very small depot), did both testing days in January and then had DMI on the 7th Feb, then found out on 10th I was unsuccessful. Thought it went really well, and normally pessimistic when it comes to this sort of thing, so I was very surprised.
When reapplying, can you just use the exact same answers (assuming questions are the same). Is it possible to fail the paper sift by bad luck the second time round?
So I was thinking about maybe reapplying for Cardiff, as from speaking to people I might be in the pool already had I gone for somewhere bigger. But they might just tell me I should go for the closer/smaller one even though there is a smaller chance of getting in? Then again from what I have read, it seems you are more likely to get in the second time round.
I am curious how the second interview goes with the same interviewers... Surely there is a large elephant in the room that you're giving the same answers you did before. Is it advisable to make reference to the first interview? "The first time I interviewed I said X, but this time round I'd like to add X,Y and Z" etc??

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, I initially applied in late November for Machynlleth (very small depot), did both testing days in January and then had DMI on the 7th Feb, then found out on 10th I was unsuccessful. Thought it went really well, and normally pessimistic when it comes to this sort of thing, so I was very surprised.
When reapplying, can you just use the exact same answers (assuming questions are the same). Is it possible to fail the paper sift by bad luck the second time round?
So I was thinking about maybe reapplying for Cardiff, as from speaking to people I might be in the pool already had I gone for somewhere bigger. But they might just tell me I should go for the closer/smaller one even though there is a smaller chance of getting in? Then again from what I have read, it seems you are more likely to get in the second time round.
I am curious how the second interview goes with the same interviewers... Surely there is a large elephant in the room that you're giving the same answers you did before. Is it advisable to make reference to the first interview? "The first time I interviewed I said X, but this time round I'd like to add X,Y and Z" etc??
Remember, it may just be how you come across rather than the answers you gave that meant you were unsuccessful. The questions are likely to be the same, or a slight variation so you should feel extra prepared next time, even if you have no idea why you weren't taken on this time.

There isn't really any luck involved, the sift is looking for key words and phrases. You'll likely remember some of the questions when you do it again (I certainly did) and hopefully you can remember what answers you gave.

Perseverance is important on the railway, so keep you head up and go again when the time comes. And be prepared to keep applying in the next few years, other TOCs take testing results for 5 years.

adamr93

Hi all. Recently been offered a start date for april. Really looking forward to it. Just have my medical ams background checks to do I was told. What's the medical like? Has anyone got information on the class course is it monday to Friday training for the that initial 11 weeks or so?

rossi006

Hi all. Recently been offered a start date for april. Really looking forward to it. Just have my medical ams background checks to do I was told. What's the medical like? Has anyone got information on the class course is it monday to Friday training for the that initial 11 weeks or so?
Congratulations, 36 weeks classroom and 11 weeks out with a driver instructor if I’m correct. You get 2 weeks annual leave in the 36 weeks that everybody on your course takes off together so you get a break.

adamr93

Congratulations, 36 weeks classroom and 11 weeks out with a driver instructor if I’m correct. You get 2 weeks annual leave in the 36 weeks that everybody on your course takes off together so you get a break.
Thanks for your reply. I'm sure on the job advert it was 11 weeks classroom. And the longer weeks out with your instructor. Il double check the advert to see. Have you done the course and got any information of what to expect?

Thanks

rossi006

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure on the job advert it was 11 weeks classroom. And the longer weeks out with your instructor. Il double check the advert to see. Have you done the course and got any information of what to expect?

Thanks
Yeh double check. No I’ve not done a course just what I’ve been told before. It’s quite intense with work to take home and study in your own time as well apparently

RyanC87

Thanks

Yes 11 weeks classroom. It's alot to learn, but it's done in a way it all goes in. You'll get to go to depots, and out and about. There's exams at the end of each topic, but you'll be fine

Then once 11 weeks is done you'll go with a DI. You do 3 weeks traction training. Slightly shorter if on valleys.

Then you do set objectives, handling, route learning etc. All with a DI driving trains. Some classroom. This is where you add hours to the 265 you need to pass out.

Plodster

11/12 weeks Classroom at Cardiff or Chester depending on which Depot you’re going to.

Class size is 8 of you.

If you live more than an hour away you will be offered hotel accommodation for the Classroom phase.
Hours are 9 til 3 ish with the odd later shift.

Lots to learn with some hands on practical stuff and use of train simulators
Exams at the end of each module.
It’s a personal thing around how hard you will or will not find the learning.
There is lot to learn but the course is well structured with the modules building on the previous learning. The exams / tests were multiple choice and done on computer.

At the end of the classroom phase you all get a weeks leave.
They you got to your depot. You might have to do some additional traction conversion - learn about a couple of new trains.

You are then put with a Driving Instructor to do your 265 hours of train handling and route learning.

At the end of that you do a Pass Out week with a Driver Manager where you are signed off as competent on the routes you cover and the traction you drive. There is also a ‘Rules’ exam on the pass out.

This phase can take longer for some than others and depends on DI availability, holidays, and a load of other factors.
It took me a year from starting on the course to passing out to give you an idea of timescales.

Medical is nothing to worry about

Eyesight
Colour perception
Hearing
Height / weight
An ECG
Drugs / Alcohol test
Some basic health related questions

Last edited:

adamr93

Yes 11 weeks classroom. It's alot to learn, but it's done in a way it all goes in. You'll get to go to depots, and out and about. There's exams at the end of each topic, but you'll be fine

Then once 11 weeks is done you'll go with a DI. You do 3 weeks traction training. Slightly shorter if on valleys.

Then you do set objectives, handling, route learning etc. All with a DI driving trains. Some classroom. This is where you add hours to the 265 you need to pass out.
Thanks for the info. Sound like alot to learn but all sounds enjoyable. I am Looking forward to it.

11/12 weeks Classroom at Cardiff or Chester depending on which Depot you’re going to.

Class size is 8 of you.

If you live more than an hour away you will be offered hotel accommodation for the Classroom phase.
Hours are 9 til 3 ish with the odd later shift.

Lots to learn with some hands on practical stuff and use of train simulators
Exams at the end of each module.
It’s a personal thing around how hard you will or will not find the learning.
There is lot to learn but the course is well structured with the modules building on the previous learning. The exams / tests were multiple choice and done on computer.

At the end of the classroom phase you all get a weeks leave.
They you got to your depot. You might have to do some additional traction conversion - learn about a couple of new trains.

You are then put with a Driving Instructor to do your 265 hours of train handling and route learning.

At the end of that you do a Pass Out week with a Driver Manager where you are signed off as competent on the routes you cover and the traction you drive. There is also a ‘Rules’ exam on the pass out.

This phase can take longer for some than others and depends on DI availability, holidays, and a load of other factors.
It took me a year from starting on the course to passing out to give you an idea of timescales.

Medical is nothing to worry about

Eyesight
Colour perception
Hearing
Height / weight
An ECG
Drugs / Alcohol test
Some basic health related questions
Thanks for all this info it's really useful. Hope your enjoying the job after all that training.

adamr93

Thanks for the info. Sound like alot to learn but all sounds enjoyable. I am Looking forward to it.

Thanks for all this info it's really useful. Hope your enjoying the job after all that training.
Is the classroom based part weekdays or do you have to do some shift work during the 11 weeks?

Jammy216

Hi,
I’m also starting in April and recently passed the medical. I was worried about it given I’m not in the best shape let’s say but all was fine. What date have they given you because I’m sure 2 different dates have been mentioned to me?

adamr93

Hi,
I’m also starting in April and recently passed the medical. I was worried about it given I’m not in the best shape let’s say but all was fine. What date have they given you because I’m sure 2 different dates have been mentioned to me?
Hi. Congratulation on passing and getting your date. I have been told 3rd april to start the course. Are you at chester? I only got told a couple of days ago so need to pass the medical and things first. So hopefully that's all ok as I need to inform my work for my notice period which is 4 weeks. So it's all quite close together.

Jammy216

Hi. Congratulation on passing and getting your date. I have been told 3rd april to start the course. Are you at chester? I only got told a couple of days ago so need to pass the medical and things first. So hopefully that's all ok as I need to inform my work for my notice period which is 4 weeks. So it's all quite close together.
Thanks. I’ll be at Cardiff, initially I thought I was told the 12th but in a recent conversation the 3rd was mentioned and I didn’t think about it until I hung up. So I’m the same, need to get the notice in quick to have a few days off before I start. Good luck with the medical, just be calm on the day. Are you training in Cardiff?

adamr93

Thanks. I’ll be at Cardiff, initially I thought I was told the 12th but in a recent conversation the 3rd was mentioned and I didn’t think about it until I hung up. So I’m the same, need to get the notice in quick to have a few days off before I start. Good luck with the medical, just be calm on the day. Are you training in Cardiff?
3rd at chester I will be doing my training. I know it will be a bit if a rush to get it sortid but should be fine. Thanks hopefully the medical will be fine. Good luck with your course when you start.

Fredytrains

3rd at chester I will be doing my training. I know it will be a bit if a rush to get it sortid but should be fine. Thanks hopefully the medical will be fine. Good luck with your course when you start.
Great news on More courses up North,, What Depot are you in For, Im currently in the Pool waiting on a course for LLJ - Holyhead but within travel time for chester aswell,

Last edited:

RainDriver

Out of interest, has anyone ever sat a DMI and never been given an outcome? Coming up to 4 weeks now since I sat mine and no word since, which obviously has left me pessimistic.

Saxon79

Great news on More courses up North,, What Depot are you in For, Im currently in the Pool waiting on a course for LLJ - Holyhead but within travel time for chester aswell,
LLJ is generally dead men's shoes. There is a waiting list for current drivers.

RyanC87

Out of interest, has anyone ever sat a DMI and never been given an outcome? Coming up to 4 weeks now since I sat mine and no word since, which obviously has left me pessimistic.
You should get something. Where did you do it. Usually its withing a week max

Saxon79

I've waited a week but I've got my email and I've passed my paper tests. Hope the others on here that did them same day as me passed as well.

RainDriver

You should get something. Where did you do it. Usually its withing a week max
So I've heard. They told me on the day it would be within 7 days, but radio silence since. Going through this thread, can't see anyone else saying they've just never heard again, so there's still hope. I've also emailed the recruitment team over a week ago now but no response.