• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

mtb

Computer tests:

When the box goes black it's black. Don't let your eyes fool you. If it looks grey at all it's grey.

Two sticks: play videogames and fly a drone. Found that really easy after playing so much playstation before I had kids. Flying a drone helps.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Advice on the boxes as well, after it turns black and you acknowledge it, make sure you look away and focus on something else briefly. Its amazing how your eyes trick you if you constantly stare at the screen.

Last edited:

TC12

Hi everyone. Does anyone know where I could find realistic examples of the dials test? I have searched on here but can't seem to find anything. Thank you in advance!!!

RyanC87

Hi everyone. Does anyone know where I could find realistic examples of the dials test? I have searched on here but can't seem to find anything. Thank you in advance!!!
This is pretty accurate

TC12

This is pretty accurate

Appreciate it!!

ademuzzy

Good luck all.

I’ve recently completed the assessments and I would say the dials posted above are the closest I have found

Priority for the dials is as follows

1st Light blue
2nd Blue
3rd Dark blue
4th White

Didn’t need to do the picture report

Chris1305

Found out this morning i missed out on a slot for computer tests, despite responding in three minutes.
Anyone with inside knowledge know how often they are doing these tests at the moment?

Brett55

Hi guys,

I made it through to the computer assessments and failed the black square test. I was told I had to wait 6 months to resit the computer exams. I have now waited 6 months, do I have to wait for them to post a position or can I reach out to the recruitment team.

GPR

Hi guys,

I made it through to the computer assessments and failed the black square test. I was told I had to wait 6 months to resit the computer exams. I have now waited 6 months, do I have to wait for them to post a position or can I reach out to the recruitment team.
You have to wait for vacancies to be posted again.

BOMPO83

Great news I’m on the assessment in Cardiff 20th November after the 3rd email, 2nd email I replied within 3 minutes and still wasn’t quick enough and 3rd email I just happened to be looking at my phone when it came through so replied literally within 20seconds
See you there !

craigriff

Found out this morning i missed out on a slot for computer tests, despite responding in three minutes.
Anyone with inside knowledge know how often they are doing these tests at the moment?
Same here. Just said we have to wait until the next slots. Highly doubt it'll be before Xmas now

johnnymarr

Hi guys

I have my DMI this week.

I have seen a list of questions circulating so have been preparing for that.

In regards to what they want me to know about TFW as a whole and the company, can anyone advise on what i should know? I understand their economic transparency and desire to be eco friendly, the metro trains etc, any other advice? Cheers

HollywoodFC

DMI is more about you as a person and how you'd fit on at the station feom my experience. There will be some questions similar to MMI around examples of skills you have shown that relate to those of a train driver. Also good to show that you have researched the company, ongoing projects etc.. if you can get that in whilst answering questions it'll prove you've done the ground work.

Which station is your DMI for?

Samzino

Anyone that's recently done the TEA-OCC is the speed / pace of the tones remotely similar to this in part 1? Thanks

johnnymarr

DMI is more about you as a person and how you'd fit on at the station feom my experience. There will be some questions similar to MMI around examples of skills you have shown that relate to those of a train driver. Also good to show that you have researched the company, ongoing projects etc.. if you can get that in whilst answering questions it'll prove you've done the ground work.

Which station is your DMI for?
Where can I find the main information about the company? Just the website?

Last edited:

Fredytrains

Anyone that's recently done the TEA-OCC is the speed / pace of the tones remotely similar to this in part 1? Thanks

Personaly I would say that The real test is much easier than The Clip you posted, Tones are way slower and generally more mixed up,
Easier said than done but don't overthink whats ahead of you. If its in you .. you will pass the tests..
The only practice you will benefit from is the Group Bourdon and the Dials test, there are excellent practice examples on this site.

Samzino

Personaly I would say that The real test is much easier than The Clip you posted, Tones are way slower and generally more mixed up,
Easier said than done but don't overthink whats ahead of you. If its in you .. you will pass the tests..
The only practice you will benefit from is the Group Bourdon and the Dials test, there are excellent practice examples on this site.
Much appreciated Freddy!

JLyons

Similar style of tones, although much slower.

Where can I find the main information about the company? Just the website?

Cardiff

Just go from the website. They want you to show you’ve researched the company past, present and future. You can find it all on their site, so when TFW was formed, effect of Covid, going under public ownership & TFW Rail, what the ultimate goal is for them eg vision of a unified transport network consisting of train, bus and active travel, the south wales metro, sustainable and fit for future generations. And if you can find out anything specific about the depot you are applying for eg routes and traction you’ll be working. I believe there is a lot of weight in this question so make sure you’ve got as detailed a response as possible.

https://tfw.wales/about-us/our-story#:~:text=Wales'%20rail%20network%20comes%20under%20public%20ownership&text=We%20take%20direct%20responsibility%20for,services%20our%20customers%20rely%20on.

Last edited:

rdfmain

Hello can anyone point me in the right direction to what questions are asked in Dmi interview.how long the interview will take, is it a relaxed interview
And any good questions to ask them.

RyanC87

Hello can anyone point me in the right direction to what questions are asked in Dmi interview.how long the interview will take, is it a relaxed interview
And any good questions to ask them.
Search DMI on this thread. Literally everything is on here.

It is fairly relaxed, but depends on the manager.
Time varies. I was just over an hour. I know some have been shorter and much longer. Some fail some don't so just answer everything they ask and give good details.

I didn't ask much at all. But it's just a chance to ask anything you want to know about the job, training etc.

Make sure you know about the company. New traction, plans, trains, investment etc. Its all on the website, but the amount of people failing as they csnt answer a simple question is staggering

BOMPO83

Hi everyone had my 2nd attempt at the paper tests on monday in cardiff. Had feedback from the first one only failed on the dots. Had did everyone else get on ? Anyone know how many lines to pass the dots ? Thanks

kallyvintage

Hi everyone had my 2nd attempt at the paper tests on monday in cardiff. Had feedback from the first one only failed on the dots. Had did everyone else get on ? Anyone know how many lines to pass the dots ? Thanks
Its less about lines, more about accuracy. No point getting over halfway down each page if you miss more than 1 or 2 that you should have struck off.