• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

mtb

I've had my staff rail pass which is valid from yesterday but I don't start my course until Feb. I assume I can't use it to travel until then?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
I mean our fellow forum member Baz, did say they got enhanced with Arriva Overground on 22-23 dials, as you say we don't know what defines national standard or what defines enhanced. But having a rough idea is possible based on what said persons that took the test may be able to recall, progress wise. I've never read about anyone pass under 14 questions answered as of current, agreed that means nothing as not everyone that sits these tests are on the forum and yes it could be utter nonsense that someone claims to have passed with 14 to national standard on this forum but then again outside of them and more importantly the OPC, who'd know for certain?

But its some numeric data and for trying to see how the results and pass rates may differ.
The enhancements can be both the actual scores and extra tests. I ask questions and have never been afraid too and asked many of the OPC.
On the first day at London Overground I know someone that passed the group bourdon to national , but not enhanced.
Also some companies version of enhanced means adding the magnificent seven sjt and the visual search exercise. Others use the dfft or driver fault finding test. I guess someone can have lower scores but little to no mistakes etc. As to the point someone made above about taking a pinch of salt regarding some posters , maybe some people do post rubbish. I post personally only what I was told by the OPC and also what I know regarding people who have passed tests. A few other people on here know me and I am ex Overground metro driver and now currently an inter city driver mentor (instructor). Before I started with Overground I was offered interviews with Thameslink/great northern , C2C and First Great Western. If any of my information is incorrect regarding testing/training then it's because the information has changed or you can blame the OPC :D . I am currently away and if I remember when I get home and if I remember and can find it. I will post the paperwork ( my personal stuff) the OPC gave me.

ThePeakNed

I've had my staff rail pass which is valid from yesterday but I don't start my course until Feb. I assume I can't use it to travel until then?
Rather envious of your February course date. Thought I'd have heard by now but apparently not!

The waiting game continues.

Samzino

The enhancements can be both the actual scores and extra tests. I ask questions and have never been afraid too and asked many of the OPC.
On the first day at London Overground I know someone that passed the group bourdon to national , but not enhanced.
Also some companies version of enhanced means adding the magnificent seven sjt and the visual search exercise. Others use the dfft or driver fault finding test. I guess someone can have lower scores but little to no mistakes etc. As to the point someone made above about taking a pinch of salt regarding some posters , maybe some people do post rubbish. I post personally only what I was told by the OPC and also what I know regarding people who have passed tests. A few other people on here know me and I am ex Overground metro driver and now currently an inter city driver mentor (instructor). Before I started with Overground I was offered interviews with Thameslink/great northern , C2C and First Great Western. If any of my information is incorrect regarding testing/training then it's because the information has changed or you can blame the OPC :D . I am currently away and if I remember when I get home and if I remember and can find it. I will post the paperwork ( my personal stuff) the OPC gave me.
Fair enough Baz, I very seen enough of your posts anyway tp.know it wasn't fallacy.

johnnymarr

How often do applications come through and also they said as Ive passed first two stages they count for two years so if i apply again do i go straight to interview if they pick me?

ThePeakNed

How often do applications come through and also they said as Ive passed first two stages they count for two years so if i apply again do i go straight to interview if they pick me?
Yes, but you'll likely still have quite a wait on your hands for when they've got enough people together to interview. Whilst you're waiting, people who haven't done the psychometrics will be in that process.

Fredytrains

Just picked this up from a closed thread regarding the Trainee driver hours possibly reduced in the recent pay award, This was part of one of T&C apparently Does anyone know if this was agreed that the training hours would possibly be reduced for some stations?
S

Silverlinky

Member​

Joined3 Feb 2012Messages666
What does the deal mean in regards to T&C’s?
Highlights:

Sundays inside the working week
Removal of booking off allowance
Diagram alterations for breaks, movement, length (10.5 hours max when in connection with planned engineering work)
2 hour movement when spare to cover turns
Driver Managers to drive trains when all other options exhausted
Driver Instructors to carry out both route and traction passouts
Technology to be introduced (tablets) to cover notices, training, booking on, safety notices etc
Annual Leave year moved April to March
"Competent individuals" to carry out unit preps
Drivers when spare can cover other tasks for which full training will be given
Drivers removed from booked turn when necessary to cover other turns (protection for times and turn length)
Route learning norms to be reviewed

***Trainee Driver min handling hours reduced from 265 to 225***

Minimum 6 month notice period introduced regardless of length of service
Increase to the number of anti-social turns on future TT changes without CC agreement (keeping to set parameters)
DCO operation (Driver open, Driver close doors (after 1-2 on bell from guard))on the Core Valley Metro routes (class 756 or 398)

• 8 Jul 2023

Plodster

Just picked this up from a closed thread regarding the Trainee driver hours possibly reduced in the recent pay award, This was part of one of T&C apparently Does anyone know if this was agreed that the training hours would possibly be reduced for some stations?
S

Silverlinky

Member​

Joined3 Feb 2012Messages666

Highlights:

Sundays inside the working week
Removal of booking off allowance
Diagram alterations for breaks, movement, length (10.5 hours max when in connection with planned engineering work)
2 hour movement when spare to cover turns
Driver Managers to drive trains when all other options exhausted
Driver Instructors to carry out both route and traction passouts
Technology to be introduced (tablets) to cover notices, training, booking on, safety notices etc
Annual Leave year moved April to March
"Competent individuals" to carry out unit preps
Drivers when spare can cover other tasks for which full training will be given
Drivers removed from booked turn when necessary to cover other turns (protection for times and turn length)
Route learning norms to be reviewed

***Trainee Driver min handling hours reduced from 265 to 225***

Minimum 6 month notice period introduced regardless of length of service
Increase to the number of anti-social turns on future TT changes without CC agreement (keeping to set parameters)
DCO operation (Driver open, Driver close doors (after 1-2 on bell from guard))on the Core Valley Metro routes (class 756 or 398)

• 8 Jul 2023
225 hours will be for all TFW depots once introduced. It’s not that big a reduction in reality Possibly two weeks worth of handling on average.

JackJones81

Has anyone heard when TFW will be opening their next campaign for trainee drivers? They seemed to be quite regular at one point

Lurcheroo

currently most north depots have trainees that have finished training and are waiting for a driving instructor. A backlog so to speak. Chester being to worst with a backlog of almost 20.

I think Shrewsbury is near to its full quota with its planned trainees and Machynlleth will have more than it needs to allow for drivers and DI’s to be released for 197 training, then as people retire or leave, they not replace and will allow the number to drop a bit to where it needs to be.

There is a full suite of courses going on this year though so must still be plenty of drivers needed in the north, it just depends what depot.

ThePeakNed

currently most north depots have trainees that have finished training and are waiting for a driving instructor. A backlog so to speak. Chester being to worst with a backlog of almost 20.

I think Shrewsbury is near to its full quota with its planned trainees and Machynlleth will have more than it needs to allow for drivers and DI’s to be released for 197 training, then as people retire or leave, they not replace and will allow the number to drop a bit to where it needs to be.

There is a full suite of courses going on this year though so must still be plenty of drivers needed in the north, it just depends what depot.
One of the DMs at Shrewsbury told me they don't expect to be interviewing again [for Shrewsbury] for a while.

Hi guys. Today marks 6 months since I was unsuccessful during the DMI stage. I’m now over the bitter stage and ready to start chasing my dream again. Does anyone know the process I need to go through? Should I email TfW recruited express my interest or wait until they are receuiting for my area again? I’m hoping because I’ve passed all the other assessments, they may give me another chance

Also, if anyone failed their DMI and was successful second time round, would be great to hear from you to keep me motivated!

Thanks

GPR

You’ll have to apply again if they come up and hope you get through the initial sift with the CV and application.

Won’t hurt emailing their HR though. They may sift your application through due to you passing assessments and psychs.

Last edited:

eastersunday

Most TOCs allow people to skip doing OPC psychometrics as long as they reach their standard and are still valid - usually up to 5 years, do TFW only allow up to 2 years though?