• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Plodster

I hear there has been a bit of a slow down for Cardiff and Chester depots due to training backlogs and people waiting for Driving Instructors to complete their driving hours etc
I’m assuming that people for these depots may have received the e mail as opposed to all applicants
Also as is well documented TFW have delayed some of their original growth plans across Wales which will delay the need for new drivers slightly
Frustrating but if you are in the pool you’re in the best place and the offer will come at some point
Recruitment seems to be ticking along for some other depots

BOMPO83

I hear there has been a bit of a slow down for Cardiff and Chester depots due to training backlogs and people waiting for Driving Instructors to complete their driving hours etc
I’m assuming that people for these depots may have received the e mail as opposed to all applicants
Also as is well documented TFW have delayed some of their original growth plans across Wales which will delay the need for new drivers slightly
Frustrating but if you are in the pool you’re in the best place and the offer will come at some point
Recruitment seems to be ticking along for some other depots
You confident we will get a start ?

LoftyTD

Finally got the wonderful news that I passed the DMI and have been added to the talent pool. Unbelievable feeling. I had my interview last week and the managers mentioned that course dates are full for this year unfortunately but I will still be optimistic anyway.
Time to relax!

SJTee

Finally got the wonderful news that I passed the DMI and have been added to the talent pool. Unbelievable feeling. I had my interview last week and the managers mentioned that course dates are full for this year unfortunately but I will still be optimistic anyway.
Time to relax!
Well done! Join the waiting game!

johnnymarr

Definitely wont be any more hiring this year then? I have passed the two tests but sadly failed the DMI last October. No hope this year then for another DMI interview?

David-1

Definitely wont be any more hiring this year then? I have passed the two tests but sadly failed the DMI last October. No hope this year then for another DMI interview?
I’m in the exact same position here, I easily think it will be this time next year before any roles are posted.

David85

I’m in the exact same position here, I easily think it will be this time next year before any roles are posted.
Yes same. I wasnt succesful at the DMI in July. Was hoping I could reapply in 6 months or so and have another go but nearly a year now. At the DMI, they did mention they had a lot of interviews and there could be a long wait for a course even if was succesful. I believe tests run out after 2 years, so I do fear I may have to start all over again unfortunately.

richfoz84

Don’t be afraid to apply elsewhere.. you can always transfer as a qualified driver when vacancies come up!

johnnymarr

Am I correct in saying that the first two tests count for other driving companies as well? For example if I apply for great western and successfully make the application process, will I skip the paper test and computer/MMI stage if this is a nationwide thing or is this not the case?

JLyons

Am I correct in saying that the first two tests count for other driving companies as well? For example if I apply for great western and successfully make the application process, will I skip the paper test and computer/MMI stage if this is a nationwide thing or is this not the case?

It depends what level you passed to, as TFW only require a standard pass whilst a lot of other companies require an enhanced pass. The paper, computer tests & MMI can be used for any TOC or FOC but you won’t know whether you’ve got the required pass mark until you apply and the OPC release your results to the company you applied. With a lot of other TOCS/FOCS the results are valued for up to 5 years so you still have some time to apply elsewhere even when your time in the talent pool has expired with TFW. From what I’m hearing it’s not looking too promising even for people in the talent pool who haven’t been given a course as of yet.

BOMPO83

It depends what level you passed to, as TFW only require a standard pass whilst a lot of other companies require an enhanced pass. The paper, computer tests & MMI can be used for any TOC or FOC but you won’t know whether you’ve got the required pass mark until you apply and the OPC release your results to the company you applied. With a lot of other TOCS/FOCS the results are valued for up to 5 years so you still have some time to apply elsewhere even when your time in the talent pool has expired with TFW. From what I’m hearing it’s not looking too promising even for people in the talent pool who haven’t been given a course as of yet.
Hi mate what do you mean not looking promising for people in the pool ?

BrokenSam

TFW seems a pretty safe pool to be in. There's a number of drivers still needed due to Sunday work coming in. The only problem is lack of Driving Instructors.

cjmw

On that note, does anybody have insight into what a driver’s roster will look like once Sundays are inside the working week?

craigybagel

Established Member
TFW seems a pretty safe pool to be in. There's a number of drivers still needed due to Sunday work coming in. The only problem is lack of Driving Instructors.
I can't speak for the South, but in the North most depots now have sufficient drivers to cover Sundays inside, especially when you include those currently in training.
On that note, does anybody have insight into what a driver’s roster will look like once Sundays are inside the working week?
It's complicated. For most depots it's still a 4 day week - just that for roughly 1 in 3 of those weeks 1 of the days you work will be a Sunday and you'll get an extra day off in the week to make up for it. There is a pattern to it if you look closely but it's a big change from the regular 3 weekly repeating pattern we were all used to.

The important thing is you still get at least a 5 day long weekend every 3 weeks.

JLyons

Out of interest, those in the talent pool, how long have you been told you are able to remain in it before your passes become invalid? My email says two years but I’ve read on here and spoken to people who have been told they are in it for three years?

cjmw

I can't speak for the South, but in the North most depots now have sufficient drivers to cover Sundays inside, especially when you include those currently in training.

It's complicated. For most depots it's still a 4 day week - just that for roughly 1 in 3 of those weeks 1 of the days you work will be a Sunday and you'll get an extra day off in the week to make up for it. There is a pattern to it if you look closely but it's a big change from the regular 3 weekly repeating pattern we were all used to.

The important thing is you still get at least a 5 day long weekend every 3 weeks.
Thanks for the info, I’m pleased to hear that drivers will still get the regular 5 day weekends!

Out of interest, those in the talent pool, how long have you been told you are able to remain in it before your passes become invalid? My email says two years but I’ve read on here and spoken to people who have been told they are in it for three years?
I now have a start date, but when I passed my DMI in January I was told that my place in the talent pool was confirmed for “up to three years from the date you sat and passed your paper assessments”

JLyons

Thanks for the info, I’m pleased to hear that drivers will still get the regular 5 day weekends!

I now have a start date, but when I passed my DMI in January I was told that my place in the talent pool was confirmed for “up to three years from the date you sat and passed your paper assessments”
Maybe it’s just a typo on mine then!

BOMPO83

When you starting mate ? Cardiff ?