• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel updates related to grounding of Class 80x fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muzer

Established Member
This happened yesterday; I was on one. It's 1tph 12-car 387s Paddington to Swindon (they were using p3 yesterday, cross-platform of course to p1 for the CrossCountry) calling Reading and Didcot.

In other news looks like the collection of the three c2c 387s is happening. Will be good to see that in service on the GW!

reddragon

Established Member
This happened yesterday; I was on one. It's 1tph 12-car 387s Paddington to Swindon (they were using p3 yesterday, cross-platform of course to p1 for the CrossCountry) calling Reading and Didcot.

In other news looks like the collection of the three c2c 387s is happening. Will be good to see that in service on the GW!
Yesterday it ran fast upsetting lots of commuters, today it was a much better simple extension of the locals

Muzer

Established Member
Doesn't even seem to be the case for most of the day, seems like a few morning services were stoppers from Swindon but the ones running through the day are fast services like yesterday.

reddragon

Established Member
But was this in any way related to the other problems on the railway yesterday?
No, it ran fast Didcot to Reading, departing Didcot on time, then sat waiting at Reading until on time again. Wrongly routed on mains.

Even worse last night. 8 car Didcots arriving at Reading with Didcot on the blind, being cancelled last minute and another 4-car unit covering Reading to Didcot, departing before passenger could get on it and without Right away from station staff who were obviously furious with the driver having 50+ angry passengers to deal with.

Killingworth

Established Member
Latest from TPE "We are pleased to advise that effective from the start of the operating day tomorrow, Thursday 13 May, our normal level of timetabled service between York – Newcastle will be reinstated. All suspended services will be back in use for customer service."

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Latest from TPE "We are pleased to advise that effective from the start of the operating day tomorrow, Thursday 13 May, our normal level of timetabled service between York – Newcastle will be reinstated. All suspended services will be back in use for customer service."

Good stuff TPE. I'm travelling Edinburgh to Manchester next Wednesday and it's nice to know that my West Coast train won't be inundated by East Coast overflow.

PTtrainguy

So when will other TOC's follow with reinstating there class 802's?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So when will other TOC's follow with reinstating there class 802's?
When they are risk assessed as safe to run. None have been fixed yet, that will be a long process yet.

TPE is in the unique position of only needing 10 out of 19 units to run the full 802 service, so they can afford to have several units out of service. I strongly suspect the emergency timetable was more of a precautionary measure, in case the issue got worse.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
TPE is in the unique position of only needing 10 out of 19 units to run the full 802 service, so they can afford to have several units out of service. I strongly suspect the emergency timetable was more of a precautionary measure, in case the issue got worse.

At the moment yeah but after Monday that number will increase.

Muzer

Established Member
Source for this? I can't find it on their website or Twitter. Is it not yet public?

kingston_toon

Pretty sure this is the case, but could a kind soul just confirm whether the following GWR ticketing advice would cover travelling earlier on the same day with the intention of arriving at our destination at approximately the originally booked time?

• Tickets for travel between Saturday 08 May and Sunday 16 May, can instead be used on any alternative day up to and including Sunday 16 May.
  • If you do travel on another day, please travel as close to the time of your original ticket as possible. New reservations should be made.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are TPE going to squeeze more out of 10 units then?
There are no material changes to the 802 side of things from Monday. I think any further discussion of the May TT change needs to go in the dedicated thread, but suffice to say that the 80x crisis is largely over for them.

J-P_L

Source for this? I can't find it on their website or Twitter. Is it not yet public?
There appears to be nothing on social media about it but the travel update section on the website has been updated here:

https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/travel-updates/current-major-service-disruption
Amended timetable for TransPennine Express services between York and Newcastle / Edinburgh until Thursday 13th May 2021

Customers are advised that an amended timetable will be in place until Thursday 13th May and will impact TransPennine Express services between York and Newcastle / Edinburgh. This is due to a number of our Nova 1 trains that require repairs following an ongoing issue currently being investigated with the train manufacturer, Hitachi.

All TransPennine Express services between York and Newcastle / Edinburgh will be reinstated from Thursday 13th May. Please take time to plan your journey before you travel, and if you need any assistance you can get in touch with us on Twitter (@TPEassist) or via WhatsApp (07812 223 336).

The latest timetable for TransPennine Express services between Liverpool and Newcastle / Edinburgh via York can be viewed here.

Established Member
When they are risk assessed as safe to run. None have been fixed yet, that will be a long process yet.

That's exactly what it was. I seem to recall an 802 being involved in a fatality last week, it may well be as simple as they've fixed that and now have enough to run.

Muzer

Established Member
The CrossCountry "Ersatzzüge" tomorrow will all be single Voyagers according to the timetable PDF published on their website. Glad I went and photted the HST when I could!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The CrossCountry "Ersatzzüge" tomorrow will all be single Voyagers according to the timetable PDF published on their website. Glad I went and photted the HST when I could!

I don't know for sure but I'm sure I read that more HSTs are required Thursday to Saturday and possibly Sunday. That's non COVID and the days of full services so not sure whether that's currently the case.

Apedlar12

Yes, it is needed "elsewhere" apparently according to their Twitter team.

I believe the additional set is booked to now work these services tomorrow:

1S37 05:25 Plymouth to Newcastle
1V62 13:39 Newcastle to Bristol Temple Meads
1V61 18:47 Bristol Temple Meads to Plymouth

Apedlar12

RTT now has hourly Paddington - Swansea's, Exeter's and Reading Newports running as Class 800s
Yes, quite a few 80x have re-entered service today but with checks done before they are permitted to leave depots as I understand it.

I have listed below the sets which have operated between Devon/Cornwall and Reading/London Paddington today:

800020 + 800029
1C77 10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
1A85 13:40 Exeter St Davids to Reading
1C88 16:04 Reading to Exeter St Davids
1A96 19:16 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington

1C69 06:37 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
1A76 09:12 Exeter St Davids to Reading
1C78 11:29 Reading to Exeter St Davids
1A86 14:15 Exeter St Davids to Reading
1C89 17:03 Reading to Exeter St Davids
2M68 19:39 Exeter St Davids to Bristol Temple Meads

802001 + 802018
1C82 13:04 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
1A90 16:14 Exeter St Davids to Reading
1C92 18:05 Reading to Exeter St Davids
1A39 20:48 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington

1A84 10:15 Penzance to London Paddington

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Some who may have been following this thread will be interested in the 387 extension to Bristol Parkway:

Status
Not open for further replies.