• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling on a Delayed train

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Monday I travelled to Reading on an off-peak return and split my tickets from Wolves splitting at Coventry & Banbury to Reading.
The train I had planned to catch may have been on time. But an earlier service was delayed by approximately 45 minutes and I decided to catch this instead. Could I claim ''Delay Repay'' for that train?

Due to the delay the train did not stop at Reading so passengers were told to get off at Oxford and catch the next train to Reading.
Subsequently this service was held at Didcot Parkway to allow the original XC service to overtake it. So I was delayed on my planned journey by 20 minutes anyway which isn't long enough to claim and I'm not looking to.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Were you actually delayed? It does not matter what happened to the train. What matters is what happened to your journey.

What was your intended arrival time? When did you actually arrive?

Claiming for a delay that you did not suffer is fraudulent.

najaB

Veteran Member
The train I had planned to catch may have been on time. But an earlier service was delayed by approximately 45 minutes and I decided to catch this instead. Could I claim ''Delay Repay'' for that train?
Go ahead - if you like the idea of explaining your actions to the Court.
So I was delayed on my planned journey by 20 minutes anyway which isn't long enough to claim and I'm not looking to.
You said it for yourself - you were delayed by 20 minutes, which is below the threshold for Delay Repay to kick in.

My ticket was bought days before the journey. A train I travelled on was delayed for 45 minutes and did not stop at my destination.
It shouldn't matter if I had not intended to travel on that train and my ticket was not booked for a particular train if the delayed train had been the one I had initially intended to catch then I would have been delayed by more than 45 minutes from it's time due at Reading.
I guarantee if I had bought an advance ticket and had mistakenly got on this train instead of the identical service due 5 mins later on the same platform then XC would have made me pay again.
So what is wrong in the passenger getting there own back at exploiting the Railway's inadequacies?

Were you actually delayed? It does not matter what happened to the train. What matters is what happened to your journey.

What was your intended arrival time? When did you actually arrive?

Claiming for a delay that you did not suffer is fraudulent.

I have a ticket purchased days prior to travel from Wolverhampton I did not book a train. Had I chosen to travel on the earlier service then my journey would have been delayed by more than 45 minutes at it's destination.
I have evidence of travelling on the delayed train.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Late Trains uk said:
The train I had planned to catch may have been on time. But an earlier service was delayed...
...which isn't long enough to claim and I'm not looking to.
So what's the point of this thread?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have a ticket purchased days prior to travel from Wolverhampton I did not book a train. Had I chosen to travel on the earlier service then my journey would have been delayed by more than 45 minutes at it's destination.
I have evidence of travelling on the delayed train.

You have no claim for compensation in this case from what I can see. You cannot claim for a journey you did not plan to do in the first place.

Anyone who were planning on catching that delayed train travelling to Reading would have a case for compensation.

This thread has run its course as far as I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.