• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrawsCambria / TrawsCymru

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Another review? What happened to the review of the entire network by Victoria Winckler, director of the Bevan Foundation?

I e-mailed the Bevan Foundation some time ago and had the following reply from them on 12/09/2013: Has WAG still not published the report's findings? It's been very quite on the TrawsCymru front from WAG since stealing the remaining 3 TC1 Tempos for the T9.

What was wrong with the shuttle bus between the airport and Rhoose station?

Even if the T9 is not scrapped, I hope it is removed from TrawsCymru and the X1260 Tempos diverted to First's share of the Aberystwyth-Carmarthen 40/40c service (which might then become TC1 at last). The shorter Tempos on the T9 should go to the T2 (Bangor-Machynlleth/Aberystwyth) or X94 (Wrexham-Barmouth).

Not much point just shifting 3 vehicles for a 5 vehicle service. Also, First's 40 is now Eclipse operated and they are better equipped mechanically than Tempos. The Omnicities are probably more worth getting shot of.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
talking of the new contracts for the 40/ 40c can anyone explain why the new timetable works so well now that it's been slowed down... all except the 1515 journey from carmarthen which ALWAYS runs at least 5 mins late... even though all passengers are loaded in plenty of time to leave on time?

has it got anything to do with the fact that there is a 701 5 mins later and first want to pinch any passengers aiming to catch the 701?

if so why? after all the 40/ 40c is a cost contract so they gain nothing from doing so...

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Not much point just shifting 3 vehicles for a 5 vehicle service. Also, First's 40 is now Eclipse operated and they are better equipped mechanically than Tempos. The Omnicities are probably more worth getting shot of.
Not my fault WAG decided to order X1200s, rather than more X1260s, for the TC4. If they had all been X1260s, I'd be saying all six of the vehicles ordered for TC1 should be diverted to cover the 40/40c, after all it's the route they were built for. The reason I suggested giving the Tempos to First is they have the larger share of the service, and I'm trying to cover as much of the service as possible. I suppose you could give two of the Tempos to Lewis and the third to First.

Must admit the vehicle pictured here, at least from this angle, looks to have resolved the appearance of lack-of-modernity I got from the windows of Arriva's Pulsars. Not quite as good looking as a Tempo, but if this design can still be built and the orriginal Tempo bodyshell can't (although sadly probably neither can), then with a suitable vehicle length, interior and well-designed livery they might be ok for future TrawsCymru orders. I'll have to try and get a ride on one sometime to see what the interior is like.

talking of the new contracts for the 40/ 40c can anyone explain why the new timetable works so well now that it's been slowed down... all except the 1515 journey from carmarthen which ALWAYS runs at least 5 mins late... even though all passengers are loaded in plenty of time to leave on time?

has it got anything to do with the fact that there is a 701 5 mins later and first want to pinch any passengers aiming to catch the 701?

if so why? after all the 40/ 40c is a cost contract so they gain nothing from doing so...
Cost contract? Does that mean all fares revenue goes to the council/WAG? If so, is that a widely deployed model?

anthony263

Established Member
Those Volvo's are pretty decent. I had a ride on one or two of them when they are used on the Fabian Way park & ride service.

The other examples seem to be ok for use on services X1 & X2 to Swansea, Bridgend and Cardiff so I see no reason why they wouldnt be ok for the service 40

TotallyGravy

can anyone explain why the new timetable works so well now that it's been slowed down... all except the 1515 journey from carmarthen which ALWAYS runs at least 5 mins late... even though all passengers are loaded in plenty of time to leave on time?

Sounds somewhat paranoid to me! Maybe First and Arriva are in league to continue the conspiracy against the 701... ;)

Anyway, wouldn't a large proportion of northbound passengers at that time of day be returning day-trippers who already have a return or season ticket in their hand? As the 40c and 701 tickets aren't interchangeable, their choice of return bus would already be fixed.

Your post seems to imply that First are delaying their 15.15 departure to catch passengers aiming for the competing 15.20 departure. I guess there's a very slim chance First might pick up one or two extra single fares or free travel passholders who turn up after the booked 15.15 departure time of the 40c but early enough to catch the 701 at 15.20. Realistically, though, how many passengers are likely to appear in that tiny five minute window and then spontaneously switch from their intended 701 service to the 40c just because it's there?

In fact, a quick look at the 701 timetables shows they allow 5 minutes more between Cross Hands and Carmarthen for the northbound services, which suggests the 701 itself may well be planned to arrive in Carmarthen around 15.15 anyway. So, as long as the 701 wasn't itself running late, it would be in the bus station in plenty of time to "pinch" back passengers who might be tempted over to a delayed 40c.

I'm really not convinced people waiting for a faster, coach-operated service are likely to flock across to a slower bus service on a whim - especially when the latter doesn't even advertise itself as running any further than Lampeter on its destination display.

Are you sure it's not just a crew change delaying the 40c? The 16.15 swapped drivers at the bus station last time I used it. It's entirely possible the 15.15 does the same if they're running a simple two-shift system to cover each bus they run on the route.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Not my fault WAG decided to order X1200s, rather than more X1260s, for the TC4. If they had all been X1260s, I'd be saying all six of the vehicles ordered for TC1 should be diverted to cover the 40/40c, after all it's the route they were built for. The reason I suggested giving the Tempos to First is they have the larger share of the service, and I'm trying to cover as much of the service as possible. I suppose you could give two of the Tempos to Lewis and the third to First.

Must admit the vehicle pictured here, at least from this angle, looks to have resolved the appearance of lack-of-modernity I got from the windows of Arriva's Pulsars. Not quite as good looking as a Tempo, but if this design can still be built and the orriginal Tempo bodyshell can't (although sadly probably neither can), then with a suitable vehicle length, interior and well-designed livery they might be ok for future TrawsCymru orders. I'll have to try and get a ride on one sometime to see what the interior is like.

Cost contract? Does that mean all fares revenue goes to the council/WAG? If so, is that a widely deployed model?

I appreciate that you have a blind obsession with the Tempo, and that you've probably never travelled on an Eclipse. However, let me assure you that having done so, the Eclipse (being based on the B7RLE) is much better equipped for the service on a mechanical basis (more grunt, better hill climbing etc). Also, the ride quality is better; don't think an Eclipse and Pulsar are the same as the Pulsar (Daf SB200) is a lightweight chassis and you can tell in the ride quality.

I advise you to have a try on the Eclipse, though I somehow doubt that you'll ever accept that anything is as good as a Mk1 Tempo. However, getting away from aesthetics, they are the better bus. I know people at Transdev who rue the day they got Tempos, and can only speak highly of the Eclipses (and earlier B10BLE Renowns) in terms of reliability and operational efficiency.

Think TL is alluding to the fact that the service is one where the revenue risk is borne by the LAs/WG. First get paid irrespective whether they have a full bus or not, though whether they get the farebox revenue, I don't know.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Those Volvo's are pretty decent. I had a ride on one or two of them when they are used on the Fabian Way park & ride service.

The other examples seem to be ok for use on services X1 & X2 to Swansea, Bridgend and Cardiff so I see no reason why they wouldnt be ok for the service 40

Been on plenty of Eclipses across the country. Been on long distance services (such as Skipton to Preston, Bath to Salisbury or Bristol to Bridgwater) and they're very good machines and certainly fine for the 40. If anything, they're a bit too good for poodling round on urban stuff!

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I appreciate that you have a blind obsession with the Tempo, and that you've probably never travelled on an Eclipse. However, let me assure you that having done so, the Eclipse (being based on the B7RLE) is much better equipped for the service on a mechanical basis (more grunt, better hill climbing etc). Also, the ride quality is better;

I advise you to have a try on the Eclipse, though I somehow doubt that you'll ever accept that anything is as good as a Mk1 Tempo. However, getting away from aesthetics, they are the better bus.
I couldn't tell you whether I've ridden on an Eclipse/B7RLE, since the bodyshell is the same or similar to a Pulsar unless I notice 'Pulsar' written on it I don't know for sure. For example, I've always assumed the two Wrights with Wi-Fi Richards Bros have for the 412 are Pulsars, but I now realise I could be mistaken since I've now discovered that buses which aren't Pulsars can look like Pulsars.

Nothing I've seen looks the part for TrawsCambria better than a Mrk1 Tempo but, as I think I've posted before, if you could have different bus models which look like a Mrk1 Tempo then I wouldn't insist on the 'real' Tempo. If you say that something is better (aesthetics aside) than a Tempo then it probably is. So, the ideal solution is to make a better bus which looks like a Mrk1 Tempo.

Think TL is alluding to the fact that the service is one where the revenue risk is borne by the LAs/WG. First get paid irrespective whether they have a full bus or not, though whether they get the farebox revenue, I don't know.
So, if First keep fares revenue and still get the full subsidy from LAs/WG, there is an incentive for them to try and get more passengers.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I couldn't tell you whether I've ridden on an Eclipse/B7RLE, since the bodyshell is the same or similar to a Pulsar unless I notice 'Pulsar' written on it I don't know for sure. For example, I've always assumed the two Wrights with Wi-Fi Richards Bros have for the 412 are Pulsars, but I now realise I could be mistaken since I've now discovered that buses which aren't Pulsars can look like Pulsars.

Nothing I've seen looks the part for TrawsCambria better than a Mrk1 Tempo but, as I think I've posted before, if you could have different bus models which look like a Mrk1 Tempo then I wouldn't insist on the 'real' Tempo. If you say that something is better (aesthetics aside) than a Tempo then it probably is. So, the ideal solution is to make a better bus which looks like a Mrk1 Tempo.

So, if First keep fares revenue and still get the full subsidy from LAs/WG, there is an incentive for them to try and get more passengers.

Well, looks are subjective. Also, most passengers are more bothered about ride quality (e.g. is it a comfortable journey) than just pure aesthetics. However, you're not going to get new Mk1 Tempos so it's rather irrelevant.

I would still recommend that you travel on an Eclipse so that you appreciate the difference between that and a Pulsar/Omnicity/Tempo.

I'm not certain (don't know if Teflon Lettuce knows) on what terms the contract has been let. I'm assuming from TL's comment that it's a fixed cost contract and that farebox revenue is returned to the authority so there would be no incentive to grow revenues/abstract passengers.

There are or have been examples whereby the tenderer takes the revenue risk and they build that into their tender submission, or where companies are incentivised to grow a service with LA support but that a proportion of the additional revenues are returned to the LA as a gainshare.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
you're not going to get new Mk1 Tempos so it's rather irrelevant.
Well, if you can't get anything that looks like a Mk1 Tempo anymore can you still get an Eclipse/B7RLE like the ex-Swansea park-and-ride one in the photograph I linked to a few posts back? That'd probably be the next best thing in terms of looks if you can't get anything that looks like a Mrk1 Tempo, but haven't they, like Optare with the Tempo, withdrawn the bodyshell design in favor of a different (less attractive, in my opinion anyway) one?

I would still recommend that you travel on an Eclipse so that you appreciate the difference between that and a Pulsar/Omnicity/Tempo.
I intend to travel on a First-run 40 service if I get the chance. In fact haven't used a bus since the last day of Arriva CymruExpress (so I haven't been on Lewis' Omnicity-run 40 either), as I've not had to travel much (and when I have other members of the family were going too so we went by car).

I'm not certain (don't know if Teflon Lettuce knows) on what terms the contract has been let. I'm assuming from TL's comment that it's a fixed cost contract and that farebox revenue is returned to the authority so there would be no incentive to grow revenues/abstract passengers.

There are or have been examples whereby the tenderer takes the revenue risk and they build that into their tender submission, or where companies are incentivised to grow a service with LA support but that a proportion of the additional revenues are returned to the LA as a gainshare.
Thanks for the general information.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
Sounds somewhat paranoid to me! Maybe First and Arriva are in league to continue the conspiracy against the 701...Your post seems to imply that First are delaying their 15.15 departure to catch passengers aiming for the competing 15.20 departure......I'm really not convinced people waiting for a faster, coach-operated service are likely to flock across to a slower bus service on a whim......Are you sure it's not just a crew change delaying the 40c?

where on earth do you get the idea that I'm being paranoid? I made a genuine observation... the timetable seems to work EXCEPT that 1515 departure which is always delayed...I've certainly never seen a crew change on that departure and as I made clear in my post the service is fully loaded and ready to go... and yet does not leave on time.... in fact on friday afternoon the 40c was still sitting on the stand when the 701 left at 1522...

a point to note is that if the traffic commissioner were to observe that then the service would be deemed to be non-operational due to being outside of the 1 min early/ 5 mins late window that they insist upon... if it were to be a regular occurance First could be sanctioned for failure to operate as registered...

as to whether people waiting for 701 would switch to 40c... I have observed many "bus wars" over the years... and one thing that is guarunteed is that no matter what the incentives offered, if a customer has a choice (ie not tied to a return/ season ticket) they will catch the first bus to come along...

in fact it could be argued that the 40/ 40c timetable as it stands is illegal in that it is a subsidised service competing with a substantially similar commercial service... if my memory serves me correctly to comply with the law then the subsidised service should run at least 5 mins after the commercial.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
in fact it could be argued that the 40/ 40c timetable as it stands is illegal in that it is a subsidised service competing with a substantially similar commercial service... if my memory serves me correctly to comply with the law then the subsidised service should run at least 5 mins after the commercial.
Are the 701 and 40/40c substantially similar? The 701 is a long-distance coach service running a handful of times per day, whereas the 40/40c is an hourly local bus service which is operated as two seperate services so you might be able to argue that the 40c doesn't really compete with the 701 as it only goes as far as Lampeter and the 701 goes to Aberystwyth. No idea if a claim like that would cut it.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Well, if you can't get anything that looks like a Mk1 Tempo anymore can you still get an Eclipse/B7RLE like the ex-Swansea park-and-ride one in the photograph I linked to a few posts back? That'd probably be the next best thing in terms of looks if you can't get anything that looks like a Mrk1 Tempo, but haven't they, like Optare with the Tempo, withdrawn the bodyshell design in favor of a different (less attractive, in my opinion anyway) one?

I intend to travel on a First-run 40 service if I get the chance. In fact haven't used a bus since the last day of Arriva CymruExpress (so I haven't been on Lewis' Omnicity-run 40 either), as I've not had to travel much (and when I have other members of the family were going too so we went by car).

Thanks for the general information.

Firstly, you need to get away from a buses' look. Whilst it's a nice to have, areas such as reliability (where Optare has historically not done well) are much more important to operators and passengers. It's for that reason that the Tempo and Tempo SR have not done well - they are well known for having had dubious build quality and reliability.

The B7RLE/Wright Eclipse as you linked to is still available, though the design has been updated since 2008 with a revised dash and other details (e.g. rear reg plate etc), as fitted to the Richard Bros Pulsar. Also, the EU required change in emergency door location.

Transdev Blackburn have had some Eclipses recently, as have First (for Huddersfield and Fareham) though in truth, the market has moved very much to lightweight vehicles such as Streetlites and Versas (which also may explain the Tempo's lack of recent deliveries). Are you getting confused about Wright Streetlites when you think the Eclipse is withdrawn.... I think the Eclipse, Pulsar and even Solar are all still alive but given the emphasis on cost, lighter more fuel efficient vehicles are very much in vogue!
where on earth do you get the idea that I'm being paranoid? I made a genuine observation... the timetable seems to work EXCEPT that 1515 departure which is always delayed...I've certainly never seen a crew change on that departure and as I made clear in my post the service is fully loaded and ready to go... and yet does not leave on time.... in fact on friday afternoon the 40c was still sitting on the stand when the 701 left at 1522...

a point to note is that if the traffic commissioner were to observe that then the service would be deemed to be non-operational due to being outside of the 1 min early/ 5 mins late window that they insist upon... if it were to be a regular occurance First could be sanctioned for failure to operate as registered...

as to whether people waiting for 701 would switch to 40c... I have observed many "bus wars" over the years... and one thing that is guarunteed is that no matter what the incentives offered, if a customer has a choice (ie not tied to a return/ season ticket) they will catch the first bus to come along...

Calm down TL. It was initially Arriva and now it's First that you are claiming are out to get the 701. :)

I don't know how much trade the 40 is taking off the 701. As has been said, the likelihood is that some will be shoppers returning north so they're going to have return tickets anyway. The 701 will already have quite a few on board anyway, and how many will be picked up on the way north?

Also, by running late, there's more chance that the 701 will actually overtake and get the advantage. You were probably right about Arriva's actions as they had an interest in competing (which is what Bryan's were doing) but think you're off the mark on this. More likely a bit of laziness on the First drivers but also a reflection that the timings are generous. I suspect the TC will have bigger fish to fry and wonder how many other departures also depart late?

As for the 40 contravening competition by having a tendered service in front of a commercial one, this is obviously because of the clockface timetable. Better for Bryan's to advance the 701 by 10 mins or drop it back by 20.

Bwsbro

Just my luck another trip on a First dart to Carmarthen. Luckily enough it's got proper seats not like the Arriva Darts i kept on getting

Bus once again full from Aberystwyth

Oh yeh and the driver has no idea how to drive around roundabouts date skipping the Aberytwyth Traffic by going around the Bus Station roundabout the rong way and throwing the bus over the kerb

And i haven't left Aber yet

Have notices that a Arriva Cymru Express 001 is still at the depot in Aberystwyth

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Firstly, you need to get away from a buses' look. Whilst it's a nice to have, areas such as reliability (where Optare has historically not done well) are much more important to operators and passengers. It's for that reason that the Tempo and Tempo SR have not done well - they are well known for having had dubious build quality and reliability.

The B7RLE/Wright Eclipse as you linked to is still available, though the design has been updated since 2008 with a revised dash and other details (e.g. rear reg plate etc), as fitted to the Richard Bros Pulsar. Also, the EU required change in emergency door location. I think the Eclipse, Pulsar and even Solar are all still alive but given the emphasis on cost, lighter more fuel efficient vehicles are very much in vogue!
What I mean by asking if that variant of the B7RLE/Wright Eclipse is still available is, again, refering to the aesthetics. The Tempo is still available in the form of the aestheticly ruined Tempo SR, likewise the Solo.

Richards Bros have two buses which I assume to be Pulsars, 09-plate YJ09CWR has the better-looking (still not as good as an original Tempo, but probably better than the SR and certainly better than a Versa) front end while YJ60GDV (refered to as a Wright Eclipse Pulsar on the photo description) has the much-uglier new-style. My question was can you still get a B7RLE/Wright Eclipse exactly like the ex-Swansea one I linked to before, or can you only get ones styled to look like YJ06GDV?

As for lighter, more fuel efficient, vehicles, is there anything that can do that while being suitable for something like the 40/40c?

a reflection that the timings are generous.
Generous, really? Based on the old X40 timetables, I personally think that a running time of arround 1hr 15mins is probably about right to avoid running late.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
I am calm GrandWazoo... and I do agree with your idea that it may be a reflection of laziness/ over generous running times... strange though how a simple observation of the truth (that the one departure is always late for no reason) can be deemed as being paranoid.... is it not a fair question to ask why this may be happening?

I agree with you that the situation could be redeemed by the 701 timetable being changed but that begs a question... why should the commercial operator change his timetable to protect his business from a subsidised service... ESPECIALLY when said service was registered BEFORE the contract went out to tender.

Rhydgaled.... the answer to your question is that yes, at law the 701 and 40/40c ARE substantially similar in that they both run virtually the same route between carmarthen and aberystwyth... the test being the common section of route.... whether the services run over the entire length of route is immaterial.

also I would point out that the idea of 40/40c being 2 seperate routes is a red herring in that the 40 was split at Lampeter by Arriva for one simple reason... to be able to claim twice the subsidy for concessionary passes by requiring pass holders to rebook at lampeter for what is in essence a through journey (through fares are available for fare paying passengers).

this brings me to another point... now that the service is on a gross cost contract with revenue being retained by the tendering authority does this mean that the councils are now paying themselves the going rate for each pass registered? if so this would be a disgrace when the financial pot for concessionary passes is under extreme pressure at the present time.... with the WAG threatening to cut the re-imbursement rate from 73% to 46% for each pass.... surely this would be a very sly way of the councils cutting the budget for passes even further...

after all the re-imbursement for passes is NOT a subsidy... it is payment for service offered.... a service which the operators are legally obliged to offer in return for being allowed to operate as a local service and qualifying for BSOG.

can anyone think of any other instance where someone purchases a service from a supplier and is in the position of being able to say that they will pay what they want for the service.... like it or lump it?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I am calm GrandWazoo... and I do agree with your idea that it may be a reflection of laziness/ over generous running times... strange though how a simple observation of the truth (that the one departure is always late for no reason) can be deemed as being paranoid.... is it not a fair question to ask why this may be happening?

I agree with you that the situation could be redeemed by the 701 timetable being changed but that begs a question... why should the commercial operator change his timetable to protect his business from a subsidised service... ESPECIALLY when said service was registered BEFORE the contract went out to tender.

Rhydgaled.... the answer to your question is that yes, at law the 701 and 40/40c ARE substantially similar in that they both run virtually the same route between carmarthen and aberystwyth... the test being the common section of route.... whether the services run over the entire length of route is immaterial.

also I would point out that the idea of 40/40c being 2 seperate routes is a red herring in that the 40 was split at Lampeter by Arriva for one simple reason... to be able to claim twice the subsidy for concessionary passes by requiring pass holders to rebook at lampeter for what is in essence a through journey (through fares are available for fare paying passengers).

this brings me to another point... now that the service is on a gross cost contract with revenue being retained by the tendering authority does this mean that the councils are now paying themselves the going rate for each pass registered? if so this would be a disgrace when the financial pot for concessionary passes is under extreme pressure at the present time.... with the WAG threatening to cut the re-imbursement rate from 73% to 46% for each pass.... surely this would be a very sly way of the councils cutting the budget for passes even further...

after all the re-imbursement for passes is NOT a subsidy... it is payment for service offered.... a service which the operators are legally obliged to offer in return for being allowed to operate as a local service and qualifying for BSOG.

can anyone think of any other instance where someone purchases a service from a supplier and is in the position of being able to say that they will pay what they want for the service.... like it or lump it?

TL - I didn't say you were paranoid; that was another poster! :) I was just surprised by the strength of your reaction to the issue you observed. As I say, I think it's more mistake than malice. If anything, it might be that First have asked on the QT to let the 701 go ahead (though I have no evidence to substantiate that). However, whatever the truth of the matter, I don't think it's a big issue. I do agree with you that it does fit into the category of being broadly similar to the 40/40c. As for "why should Bryan's change their times", if only to enable the 40/40c to operate to a clockface timetable.

I do agree with your broader point on BSOG and the concessionary scheme too <(
What I mean by asking if that variant of the B7RLE/Wright Eclipse is still available is, again, refering to the aesthetics. The Tempo is still available in the form of the aestheticly ruined Tempo SR, likewise the Solo.

Richards Bros have two buses which I assume to be Pulsars, 09-plate YJ09CWR has the better-looking (still not as good as an original Tempo, but probably better than the SR and certainly better than a Versa) front end while YJ60GDV (refered to as a Wright Eclipse Pulsar on the photo description) has the much-uglier new-style. My question was can you still get a B7RLE/Wright Eclipse exactly like the ex-Swansea one I linked to before, or can you only get ones styled to look like YJ06GDV?

As for lighter, more fuel efficient, vehicles, is there anything that can do that while being suitable for something like the 40/40c?

Generous, really? Based on the old X40 timetables, I personally think that a running time of arround 1hr 15mins is probably about right to avoid running late.

Right. I think you're getting your terminology wrong. The bodyshell of the Pulsar/Eclipse/Solar is broadly the same now as it was ten years ago, internally and externally. The body shell has not markedly changed in the same way as a Solo vs. Solo SR

Now, at the risk of repeating myself, in 2008/9, Wright updated the front dash and a few other changes to meet changes in legislation. The 09 Pulsar is probably one of the later ones to that initial spec; First Bristol did get a batch of Gemini deckers with the old dash panels when other operators had already received the new design and that was mid 2009. The 60 plate Pulsar is to the revised design. That dash panel et al is the current design.

As for a lightweight alternative, it's tricky as the sheer fact that a vehicle is of a lightweight design nearly always affects ride quality. Now getting away from aesthetics, as it's subjective and not important to customers, the options are E300 (poor build quality), Versa (choppy ride and dubious reliability), Pulsar (iffy ride quality).

The best that I've experienced, and I was pleasantly surprised, was the Wright Streetlite Max as operated by First between Bristol and Bath. Build quality and ride was better than I anticipated. However, given the route length and average passenger journey duration, I'd be inclined to choose an Eclipse every time.

Sad to hear that First have put a Dart on there though!

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Even though the frequency is so vastly different? What is the council supposed to do, leave a 2 hour gap in one direction?

So not the EU service distance / tachograph regulations then? Are pass holders now able to travel right through between Carmarthen and Aberystwyth without having to rescan the pass at Lampeter?

now that the service is on a gross cost contract with revenue being retained by the tendering authority does this mean that the councils are now paying themselves the going rate for each pass registered?
If the council is paying itself, surely that's the same as not having to pay the re-imbursement for passes at all, which should save money.

Now, at the risk of repeating myself, in 2008/9, Wright updated the front dash and a few other changes to meet changes in legislation. The 09 Pulsar is probably one of the later ones to that initial spec; First Bristol did get a batch of Gemini deckers with the old dash panels when other operators had already received the new design and that was mid 2009. The 60 plate Pulsar is to the revised design. That dash panel et al is the current design.
By 'dash' I took you to mean an interior change, but do you mean actually mean the aesthetics of the exterior at the front of the bus? I was describing exterior aesthetics as 'bodyshell' or 'bodywork', is this incorrect?

p.s. I think Richards Bros 09-plate Pulsar does have the emergency exit door halfway along, rather than up at the back (like on the 55/06-plate TrawsCambria Tempos).

As for a lightweight alternative, it's tricky as the sheer fact that a vehicle is of a lightweight design nearly always affects ride quality. Now getting away from aesthetics, as it's subjective and not important to customers, the options are E300 (poor build quality), Versa (choppy ride and dubious reliability), Pulsar (iffy ride quality).

The best that I've experienced, and I was pleasantly surprised, was the Wright Streetlite Max as operated by First between Bristol and Bath. Build quality and ride was better than I anticipated. However, given the route length and average passenger journey duration, I'd be inclined to choose an Eclipse every time.
So, sticking with heavyweights probably better for TrawsCymru then.

As for aesthetics, yes perhaps subjective but as for not being important... For current regular passengers then yes, aesthetics is not important. But to capture new passengers and make TrawsCymru a useful substitute for absent rail links (like Carmarthen - Aberystwyth), aesthetics might help make the new brand stand out as being a bit special compared to normal buses. That's why I'm always banging on about the original Tempo's aesthetics, there's nothing else which looks as modern and as elegant at the same time.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Even though the frequency is so vastly different? What is the council supposed to do, leave a 2 hour gap in one direction?

By 'dash' I took you to mean an interior change, but do you mean actually mean the aesthetics of the exterior at the front of the bus? I was describing exterior aesthetics as 'bodyshell' or 'bodywork', is this incorrect?

p.s. I think Richards Bros 09-plate Pulsar does have the emergency exit door halfway along, rather than up at the back (like on the 55/06-plate TrawsCambria Tempos).

So, sticking with heavyweights probably better for TrawsCymru then.

As for aesthetics, yes perhaps subjective but as for not being important... For current regular passengers then yes, aesthetics is not important. But to capture new passengers and make TrawsCymru a useful substitute for absent rail links (like Carmarthen - Aberystwyth), aesthetics might help make the new brand stand out as being a bit special compared to normal buses. That's why I'm always banging on about the original Tempo's aesthetics, there's nothing else which looks as modern and as elegant at the same time.

First point....they'd be expected to manage the timetable to avoid having a subsidised journey running against a commercial timetable. How they do that is up to them.

Yes, your terminology is incorrect. The front panel below the windscreen is called the dash panel. Bodyshell refers to the actual structure of the vehicle (e.g. dimensions, window apertures, etc).

As for looks being important.... it doesn't register. In this survey: http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publicatio...s-in-the-bus-market-in-england/appendices.pdf
the soft factors in bus travel were extensively surveyed and the aesthetics of external bus design was not a factor. That is different from internal specification or indeed branding and marketing.

As many surveys have discovered, as well as the experience of many an operator, is that what passengers first of all demand is reliability. The passengers tend to (but not exclusively depending on socio-economics) look at frequency, then passenger comfort, and then it's price.

The Tempo falls down simply because its not very reliable, so missing the first and most important criteria for travel. That's why despite its alleged elegance and modernity, it failed to sell very well. So please, stop banging on about them.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
So not the EU service distance / tachograph regulations then? Are pass holders now able to travel right through between Carmarthen and Aberystwyth without having to rescan the pass at Lampeter?

As far as I am aware pass holders are still expected to rebook at Lampeter.

If the council is paying itself, surely that's the same as not having to pay the re-imbursement for passes at all, which should save money.

it is NOT the same. There is a finite pot of money for concessionary re-imbursement. This money is intended to re-imburse OPERATORS for providing a service which they are legally OBLIGED to offer. If the councils are paying out for passes used on a cost contract then the money is going to themselves and NOT operators... leaving less money in the pot for those operators offering the facility on commercial services. I fail to see how it can be considered as saving money... in fact it could be seen as misappropriation seeing as though the money is not the council's money but funds provided by WAG

While I agree with GrandWazoo's comments that aesthetics are subjective and have so far refrained from the debate about tempos v other products I must disagree strongly with your assertion that there's nothing which looks as modern and elegant as a Tempo.

While Optare over the years has been known for it's design flair there is no way that the Tempo could be considered even their finest hour. When Optare produced the City Pacer, Delta, Excel, Solo and Versa designs everything else looked dated overnight. The same can be said of Wright's Millenium range of bodies. I was working in London when the Gemini came out and on first sight you could see that at last there was a design icon which could replace the RM as the face of the London decker.

When the Tempo came out it looked like nothing more than a cheaper version of the Mercedes Citaro.

In truth what is needed for TrawsCymru routes is either accessible coaches or a new updated version of the DP buses of olden days.

in fact if I were looking for a distinctive stand out product for these services that give a wow factor then surely nothing beats the body design of the Versa?

anthony263

Established Member
In terms of standing out yes the Versa is pretty good not sure about is on long distance services.

I must admit the Optare Vera does kind of remind of a leyalnd national. All the versa needs is a large box on the roof at the rear of the bus.

Foir the Trawscymru network the Plaxton Interdeck is perfect for the job as Megabus and other operators will tell you

Rhydgaled

Established Member
As far as I am aware pass holders are still expected to rebook at Lampeter.
Interesting. Not sure what they're doing now, but before Arriva's CymruExpress finished Richards Bros seemed to let passengers travel through between Cardigan and Aberystwyth without rebooking, despite the service being split at Aberaeron as far as the timetable was concerned.

it is NOT the same. There is a finite pot of money for concessionary re-imbursement. This money is intended to re-imburse OPERATORS for providing a service which they are legally OBLIGED to offer. If the councils are paying out for passes used on a cost contract then the money is going to themselves and NOT operators... leaving less money in the pot for those operators offering the facility on commercial services. I fail to see how it can be considered as saving money... in fact it could be seen as misappropriation seeing as though the money is not the council's money but funds provided by WAG
Well, if the money went back into the reimbursement pot it could be used to reimburse other operators. I suppose that depends on it being paid back into the buses pot and not general council budgets.

While Optare over the years has been known for it's design flair there is no way that the Tempo could be considered even their finest hour. When Optare produced the City Pacer, Delta, Excel, Solo and Versa designs everything else looked dated overnight

in fact if I were looking for a distinctive stand out product for these services that give a wow factor then surely nothing beats the body design of the Versa?
Yes, the Versa stands out, and looks at least as modern as the original Tempo. However, that hump-back doesn't look elegant in my opinion. It looks like a joke.

new updated version of the DP buses of olden days.
Is there no such thing? Isn't a DP just a heavy-duty bus with better seats?

Foir the Trawscymru network the Plaxton Interdeck is perfect for the job as Megabus and other operators will tell you
In my opinion that depends on what vision the network adopts. If you are running very long-distance (say Aberystwyth or Newtown to Cardiff), infrequent (2-3 times per day), express services, then coaches are the way to go. That's what I think TrawsCymru should have been, with TrawsCambria being retained as a network of frequent medium-distance bus services like the 40/40c.

Yes, your terminology is incorrect. The front panel below the windscreen is called the dash panel. Bodyshell refers to the actual structure of the vehicle (e.g. dimensions, window apertures, etc).
Ok, so (just like the Tempo) the chances of getting a new one without the new ruined looks are minimal or non-existant. Thanks for clearing that up.

As many surveys have discovered, as well as the experience of many an operator, is that what passengers first of all demand is reliability. The passengers tend to (but not exclusively depending on socio-economics) look at frequency, then passenger comfort, and then it's price.
Reliability, frequency, comfort and price are all very well for retaining passengers once you get them to try the bus. But what's the shop-window display motorists see to try and pursade them to try the bus? I suppose a high enough frequency would work, you'd see buses coming along constantly, buy. And when passengers demand reliability, is that seperate from punctiality or are the two combined? Mechanical reliability doesn't really seem to be a frequent problem, although it is very annoying when it happens and should be avoided I've only had two buses suffer a long-term breakdown while I'm on them (neither of them Optares, by the way).

Established Member
Arriva put the largest vehicle in recent years on the 94 Wrexham-Barmouth.

Highback seats. A toilet. Air conditioning.

Arriva? Invest? Yes, it's too good to be true......

Attachments

• 158xx.jpg
    158xx.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 31

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Is there no such thing? Isn't a DP just a heavy-duty bus with better seats?

In my opinion that depends on what vision the network adopts. If you are running very long-distance (say Aberystwyth or Newtown to Cardiff), infrequent (2-3 times per day), express services, then coaches are the way to go. That's what I think TrawsCymru should have been, with TrawsCambria being retained as a network of frequent medium-distance bus services like the 40/40c.

Reliability, frequency, comfort and price are all very well for retaining passengers once you get them to try the bus. But what's the shop-window display motorists see to try and pursade them to try the bus? I suppose a high enough frequency would work, you'd see buses coming along constantly, buy. And when passengers demand reliability, is that seperate from punctiality or are the two combined? Mechanical reliability doesn't really seem to be a frequent problem, although it is very annoying when it happens and should be avoided I've only had two buses suffer a long-term breakdown while I'm on them (neither of them Optares, by the way).

This is painful but here we go.

The link I sent you, and here's another similar research piece http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/310263/0097941.pdf
surveyed BOTH users and non-users. Research of non-users is different as there is a "fear factor" to be overcome based around pre-conceptions on personal security, perceived inflexibility, time penalties etc.

However, at no time, with current or non users does the aesthetics of a bus get any coverage. There are comments on accessibility and the condition of vehicles and this increases (understandably) with wheelchair users and older people. When asked what would increase bus usage, the consensus of opinion from users and non users was......

Suggested improvements to bus services which participants felt might encourage some people (though not necessarily themselves) to use the bus more often included:

• Improved customer care skills for drivers (including improved awareness of the needs of passengers with disabilities)
  • Conductors on buses to prevent anti-social behaviour and overcrowding
  • General improvements to the physical condition of buses in order to improve comfort, safety and accessibility (e.g. seatbelts, rubbish bins, more regular cleaning, toilets, air conditioning, handrails, softer seats, etc.)
  • Improved lighting, shelters and information, including accurate ‘Real time’ information, at bus stops
  • Action to try and improve the speed and reliability of buses, including better/longer bus lanes, more direct/express routes, more frequent services at more standardised times and driver incentives for timekeeping
  • Better information about routes, timetables and fares, to be available in places other than bus stops
  • Cheaper and/or more ‘standardised’ fares
  • Introducing pre-pay or top-up card systems to pay for bus fares, to avoid the need for exact change or knowing how much a ticket will be in advance

That is aside from the fact, as TL mentioned, that the Tempo is actually the least arresting, distinctive and impressive of the Optare designs. It's actually very conservative. You obviously like that but it doesn't turn heads like the Optare Delta did when it came out.

And without getting into a protracted debate where you "can't see how coach type vehicles can work" as we had last year, DP's are not buses with coach seats in them. Throughout the 70's and 80's particularly, these were coach type vehicles but with extra wide doors, destination equipment, bell pushes etc so that they were suitable for normal bus service operation. These were typically used on both longer distance and limited stop services; very much like the Stagecoach Interurban and more latterly, the Plaxton Panther that Stagecoach use extensively.

Lastly, you may not have experienced an outright failure of an Optare. However, I have friends who have run Tempos and the amount of time and effort to keep them running is much more than a Volvo B10BLE or B7RLE.

Welshman

Established Member
Arriva put the largest vehicle in recent years on the 94 Wrexham-Barmouth.

Highback seats. A toilet. Air conditioning.

Arriva? Invest? Yes, it's too good to be true......

Ha ha!
It's not a very frequent service though. ;)

WestyAds

At the other end of things (and, indeed, at the other end of the day), a two-hour gap is exactly what we have at Aberystwyth each morning, with no 40 service at 0740, apparently so as not to clash with the 701's 0735 departure. It does seem a bit odd to make this allowance one way and not the other, although I'd imagine it's more to do with logistical considerations more than anything else.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
At the other end of things (and, indeed, at the other end of the day), a two-hour gap is exactly what we have at Aberystwyth each morning, with no 40 service at 0740, apparently so as not to clash with the 701's 0735 departure.
Not exactly the same kind of 2-hour gap I meant. In that case, there is a 701 to fill the gap*, but in the afternoon/evening leaving out the 15:15 40c from Carmarthen Bus Station would mean leaving a two hour gap between the 16:40 and 18:40 departures from Aberystwyth (since there is no 17:40 departure from Aberystwyth on the 701). There isn't a 19:40 Aberystwyth-Carmarthen either, because the 17:07 from Carmarthen railway station only goes as far as Lampeter.

* actually, this gap in the 40/40c service is only as far as Lampeter, since the 40c departures from Lampeter to Carmarthen are hourly from 06:50 to 19:50.

adey2011

Mid Wales Travel have acquired a double deck vehicle - LX08 ECY an Omnicity. It was out last week with full blind display working the 301 service, though still in London red livery. Does anyone know if this is a one off purchase or are there any more on the way?

Bwsbro

Mid Wales Travel have acquired a double deck vehicle - LX08 ECY an Omnicity. It was out last week with full blind display working the 301 service, though still in London red livery. Does anyone know if this is a one off purchase or are there any more on the way?

Speaking with one of the drivers i know. At the moment there are only getting one for the 301. To accommodate the Student Travelling between the Penglais and Llanbadarn Campuses in Aberystwyth. This to remove the need for the additional coaches who currently assist with the service.

Will try and photograph in service

WestyAds

Almost in service... pictured at Aberystwyth bus station a couple of days ago.

LX08-ECY.jpg

I do hope they don't rush to repaint it. Mid Wales Travel's usual boring plain white livery wouldn't suit it nearly as much and it's nice to have a splash of colour in town. Although a lick of paint may help to cover up the bits that still very faintly identify this bus as "part of the Go-Ahead group".

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Ah, so that explains the red double decker I saw leaving the university one day last week.

Speaking with one of the drivers i know. At the moment there are only getting one for the 301. To accommodate the Student Travelling between the Penglais and Llanbadarn Campuses in Aberystwyth. This to remove the need for the additional coaches who currently assist with the service.
I think they need a larger vehicle on the 03 service sometimes too, maybe not as big as a double-deck but certainly a longer single-decker at busy times. Interworking with other services might be useful too so that some turn-round time can be introduced so late running of one service doesn't imediately knock onto the next.

P.S. I've now been on one of the Temsa Avenues Richards Bros have been using on the X50 and one of the Wright Eclipses on First's share of 40 (Aberystwyth to Aberaeron on the latter). Interior wise, the Temsa is brighter but when you sit down... ouch! The Eclipse is much more comfortable than the Temsa, not perfect but alot better. Good thing is it doesn't sound like the Temsas will be arround for much longer. I've been on one of Lewis Coaches' Omni-City things as well (but only from Aberystwyth bus station to Morrisons), the only thing I can say about that was that it seemed to be a rather odd bus design.

On the topic of TrawsCymru, it sounds like the minister is still considering the Bevan Foundation review of the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.