• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Areas that a class 158 have never been on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I don't think they're cleared on the Marston Vale so not there I suspect. Would also be surprised if one had been to Aylesbury, they'd not be allowed past Amersham due to lack of tripcocks.

They could in theory of course get to Aylesbury via the 'Western' but you're right they certainly wouldn't be allowed south of Amersham.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Are Class 158/159 cleared on the New Guildford Line?

At London Road, there's a 3-car stop marker and I've always wondered which trains they were intended for. The only other 3-car trains I can think of in the area are the Turbos.
Just a guess, but could the 3-car stop marker be for 3-car 377s, from when Southern ran peak services to Guildford? Don't think a 3-car unit on its own would ever have been booked traction, but it may be possible it happened on occasion.

Ilkley might have never seen one- not sure if there's anything preventing it but on the odd occasion that there's a DMU filling in for an unavailable EMU the go-to choice seemed to be a 144, and latterly a 150. I'd be surprised if one ever made it to Glossop or Hadfield either.

I recall it being said somewhere on this site that 158s are only passed on the Heart of Wales with the suspension airbags deflated, which means ECS only.

Rail Quest

They've probably never done Rose Hill Marple despite passing through the surrounding area every hour. Similar to the Hazel Grove - Buxton stretch mentioned prior

D7666

No 158 Thameslink core, before and after upgrade.
No 158 Crossrail core.
No 158 Moorgate via Old Street.
No 158 East London Line.
No 158 Isle Of Wight.

West Kirby ? New Brighton ? I think are barred to 23 m stock ? Then the Loop needs tripcocks. So that is essentially the Wirral no 158s ? And doubt they've ever done Liverpool / Southport or Ormskirk ?

In addition to where they have been, although already covered in other posts, 158s (159s) have done Waterloo - Southampton - Bomo - Wareham - Swanage charter / railtours for HRT at least 4 times (and I was on 2 of them).

Have they ever worked on MML south of Syston anywhere to StPancras / any cross London junction ? In 36 years since moved to Luton I can't say I can recall one. But I don't necessarily pay attention to it all.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I wonder if one ever filled in for the 153 on the Stourbridge Town branch before the 139s came in? Presumably not, as they were higher up the pecking order in those days and there were 150s around.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Have they ever worked on MML south of Syston anywhere to StPancras / any cross London junction ? In 36 years since moved to Luton I can't say I can recall one. But I don't necessarily pay attention to it all.
Perhaps not all the way to London, but there's a report of Bedford here:

scrapy

Established Member
I don't think the line beyond Barrow to Carlisle has ever seen 158s. I think that's the only place in the NW.
Pretty sure they've been between Barrow and Millom on evening services around 2018/2019 before 195s were at Barrow.

D7666

Perhaps not all the way to London, but there's a report of Bedford here:

Ehh ?

156404/156414 ?

The thread is about 158s not 156s.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Within the NSE area, 158s have operated at least

London Waterloo - Woking - Basingstoke - Exeter
London Waterloo - Richmond / Hounslow - Woking
Brighton - Fareham - Southampton - Salisbury
Fareham - Eastleigh
Eastleigh - Romsey
Basingstoke - Southampton
Reading - Basingstoke
London Paddington - Didcot Parkway
Didcot Parkway - Bicester Town
Portsmouth Harbour - Southampton - Salisbury
Portsmouth Harbour - Guildford - Reading - Banbury
Guildford - Woking
London Waterloo - Acton Main Line via Kensington Olympia
London Euston - Rugby
Colchester - Manningtree
Stansted Airport - Ely

You’ve missed off Harwich to the NSE boundary at Manningtree. 158s used to work the Harwich to Liverpool ‘Vincent Van Gough’

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Ehh ?

156404/156414 ?

The thread is about 158s not 156s.
Read the linked post. The poster specifically describes taking 158767 from Bedford.

It would have taken you less time to click the link and read it than colouring in the class numbers like that ;)

On Western/Wales Region

Never Heathrow T4/T5
Never Windsor
Never Bourne End/Marlow
Never Gunnislake
Never Looe
Unlikely Greenford
Unlikely Henley
Unlikely Newquay

Never Radyr-Treherbert/Aberdare/Merthyr
Unlikely Cardiff Bay
Unlikely Heart of Wales?
Several have worked on the north end of the Heart of Wales rescuing 153s, albeit with passengers accommodated in the 153. In fact, one made it to both Knucklas and Llandrindod on the same day a decade or so back following a couple of failures. Fairly certain at least one has worked the length of the line ECS (possibly attached to a passenger service).

I'm fairly sure one went through toSt Pancras as part of the launch, will see if I can find something. 158714 covered a huge amount of the country with cameras mounted in ?1990, mainly for routes that would be covered in future but with some oddities thrown in

fishwomp

The 158 have been aroud for many years and have been everwhere from Wick to Penzance which has got me wondered. Is there anywhere else that a class 158 has never run on?

Other than anywhere on the London Underground network obviously
Anywhere outside of mainland Britain. Not aware of any export trips/trials/loans, nor trips to Czech testing loop.

Vale of Rheidol.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
158s have never been to Essex or Suffolk. I would also add Oxfordshire too as our DMU fleet has always been Networker Turbo (165, 166), or Turbostar (168, 172)

Edit: turns out that none of this is true and 158s have been to those counties

Craig37

On Western/Wales Region

Never Heathrow T4/T5
Never Windsor
Never Bourne End/Marlow
Never Gunnislake
Never Looe
Unlikely Greenford
Unlikely Henley
Unlikely Newquay

Unlikely Cardiff Bay
Unlikely Heart of Wales?

Parallel

Established Member
On Western/Wales Region

Never Heathrow T4/T5
Never Windsor
Never Bourne End/Marlow
Never Gunnislake
Never Looe
Unlikely Greenford
Unlikely Henley
Unlikely Newquay

Unlikely Cardiff Bay
Unlikely Heart of Wales?
I believe 158s have run on the Heart of Wales but ECS with the air bags deflated. - EDIT, can see already mentioned above.

I'm quite surprised 158s have potentially never made it to Newquay, it seems the most suitable branch in Cornwall for them. After some digging, it appears 158s are not cleared beyond St Blazey.

Established Member
I recall being told they were cleared to Buxton and the Sectional Appendix confirms this but I doubt if one has ever been on the route, Buxton would not sign them and in the days when Piccadilly has cl158 work to Cumbria etc the link(s) which signed them didn't sign Buxton.
I remember the discussions about clearance to Buxton - the main issue seemed to be Dove Holes tunnel and the risk of the Class 158 step hitting it due to limited clearance. They did some work on Eaves tunnel (certainly the area around it to reduce the landslide risk) and clearly the issue has been resolved.

Class 158s would be a good upgrade for Buxton.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
158s have never been to Essex or Suffolk. I would also add Oxfordshire too as our DMU fleet has always been Networker Turbo (165, 166), or Turbostar (168, 172)

Edit: turns out that none of this is true and 158s have been to those counties

Of course don’t forget aside from the XC 158s which many people have mentioned at Oxford that Regional Railways 158s used to work on the North Cotswold services from Oxford to Worcester.

They pretty quickly became turbos and the route transferring to NSE as part of the deal which saw the last 22 x 158s become 159s and 2 extra 166s ordered instead to cover the North Cots.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Of course don’t forget aside from the XC 158s which many people have mentioned at Oxford that Regional Railways 158s used to work on the North Cotswold services from Oxford to Worcester.
I seem to recall that a Central Trains 158 was also hired for a while to work a diagram on the joint Thames Trains / Great Western Bristol to Oxford service, including trips to Bicester.

Status
Not open for further replies.