• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: curious headcode coincidences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I spotted this in the TOPS request thread:

What is tomorrow's 1D15 1015 STP - NOT tomorrow, thanks in advance

...and it got me thinking.

Are there any other instances where the headcode and the time of departure from the point of origin look pretty much the same as each other?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alastair

When I was a very small child in the late 1950's I would often be taken to the station (Ashtead, on the Epsom-Dorking line) to meet my Dad from his homeward commute from Victoria. His train left Victoria at 1808, so he would say "I will be on the 6.8". When his train came in with an 86 headcode this seemed to me to be completely logical (if the wrong way round!).

It was a little later when I learned about SR headcodes, and 86 (if I remember correctly) was Victoria-Horsham via Mitcham....

Crossover

Established Member
Not on quite the same lines, but of course Eurostar running numbers are 90xx and 91xx and so receive "headcodes" of 9Oxx and 9Ixx respectively

Chris M

Not on quite the same lines, but of course Eurostar running numbers are 90xx and 91xx and so receive "headcodes" of 9Oxx and 9Ixx respectively
I thought the running numbers where chosen to match the headcodes rather than vice versa?

Matt Taylor

Established Member
On many routes headcodes simply follow in numerical order, on the Portsmouth line the 1200 from Waterloo is 1P33, the 1230 is 1P35, the 1300 is 1P37 and so on. The even numbers are for up trains, odd numbers for down trains.

tsr

Established Member
Times are a nicety which sometimes fit with the sequence, but unfortunately often don't. Matt Taylor hits the nail on the head when he mentions the numerical order of odd / even numbers. Frequent services tend to see more ordered sequences of headcodes numbered in this way. Sometimes they will skip numbers where a path exists but no service is booked to run - eg. all headcodes may be used in peak times, but off-peak, every other odd/even number might be used for the basic service. For example, perhaps the infrastructure supports half-hourly trains but an hourly service runs off-peak.

As I've posted before, some headcodes are also geographical - you get regional markers, such as certain trains being rendered as 1Sxx if they go across the border from England to Scotland. 1Axx tends to be the primary service group, if there is one, at any given TOC - GTR's Brighton Mainline services, for example. Others take the letter in their headcode from the first distinctive point at which they diverge from other routes. Again, with GTR - and the old Southern franchise before them - 1Exx refers to services to Uckfield, which diverge from the East Grinstead route at Hurst Green Jn, and the first stop south of there is Edenbridge Town, giving the letter E. The first unique station towards East Grinstead is Lingfield - and guess what, most East Grinstead trains are 2Lxx!

Pete_uk

Established Member
During the Gloucestershire water crisis in 2007 after the floods a train full of water had the headcode something like 1H20

xotGD

Established Member
Was there ever a milk train with the headcode 1M00?

Status
Not open for further replies.