• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - disused passenger stations that are still used for rail purposes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I believe the platforms are still there at Deepcar, the station building certainly is.

Oughtibridge, at least 1 platform is still there it seems.
Though it isn't used as such any longer, for a good few years after closure (at least eight years, as it was used for the now infamous FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest in 1989) the station at Wadsley Bridge was used for football specials to Hillsborough football ground.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Marchwood station is still believed as a token exchange point isn’t it, on the Fawley branch line?

Would Lydd station meet the OP’s criteria? Still used to support a run-round loop, though somewhat less useful following the fire.

Slightly iffy on that. The station is owned by Gramm who refuse to let anyone on site but the platform still belongs to NR who still deem it as part of their operational railway estate.

I'm not sure if a platform covered in burnt roof tiles and burnt asbestos qualifies as a station these days..

steamybrian

Established Member
In London
Aldwych closed in 1994 is used for filming.
Charing Cross (Jubilee Line) platforms also used for filming.

Howardh

Established Member
I wouldn't count that as a rail purpose, unless you're calling it a very short heritage railway.
Even shorter now that the Ordsall Curve has been built and severed it - if I'm thinking the right (ex) station?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Even shorter now that the Ordsall Curve has been built and severed it - if I'm thinking the right (ex) station?
Believe you are correct. Basically, any heritage trains at the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester can now only trundle around the station yard, the end to end track length there is something like just 14 chains.

najaB

Veteran Member
Yup. The museum did lose its mainline connection when the chord was built.

Another disused station that has been (is?) used for railway purposes - Dundee Esplanade. Was an engineering compound for the Tay Bridge works and I believe it's still used by NR for storage.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
A little bit of Plymouth Friary station remained not long back, but what if anything uses it nowadays I'm unsure as I moved away from the area fifteen years ago.

plugwash

Established Member
Does Manchester Liverpool Road count, being part of the Science and Industry Museum?
The Ordsall chord took a bunch of land from MOSI that they had previouly used to run trains. I belive they had plans for a new layout, but I don't think it's actually operational at this time.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Part of the platform of Oakham station was acquired to create Carriages of Cambridge, a high end tea room in various Mk 1 Pullman coaches, and now a former Brighton Belle vehicle, in Fen Drayton, Cambs. It has a station building which is a recreation, something of a pastiche, and a signal box which I've seen described as "1880s" and is fitted out but I think that might also be a recreation.

Only tenuously "rail use" but it is still used as a platform for railway carriages.
Oakham isn't a "disused passenger station" though, or at least it wasn't when I was there the other week! Nice story though.

Rescars

Spa Road, the remains of which are used as an access point to the live railway.
Monarch010 raises an interesting question. How much of a station has to remain for it to count in this thread? Is there much of Spa Road left apart from the stairs? There must be a significant number of locations which are sites of demolished stations and which are still used for pw access. It's a bit of a stretch from the OP, but how many disused stations are still used as timing points in the WTT?

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I've been on trains which have been stopped at signals alongside the disused and inaccessible platforms at Norton Bridge

etr221

For many years after the branch line to it had been closed and dismantled, there was a British Rail Research Department Laboratory (I believe for chemistry purposes) at Alexandra Palace Station (that's the original one). Following privatisation, I've no idea if it's still there (and if so what it's status is), or when it closed.

steamybrian

Established Member
For many years after the branch line to it had been closed and dismantled, there was a British Rail Research Department Laboratory (I believe for chemistry purposes) at Alexandra Palace Station (that's the original one). Following privatisation, I've no idea if it's still there (and if so what it's status is), or when it closed.
It was sold in BR days and was rebuilt as a local community centre. The last information I have is that the building is still there.

etr221

It was sold in BR days and was rebuilt as a local community centre. The last information I have is that the building is still there.
While the original station was sold off, a new lab building was built by BR c1960 (after the line had gone), and the laboratory moved into it, freeing the staion building for disposal. Does this count? Nor do I know its fate.

steamybrian

Established Member
I will suggest Hessay station on the Harrogate- York line.
According to the Disused Stations website by Nick Catford part of the station building is occupied by the crossing keeper. The crossing gates are locked by a ground frame on the old station platform.

sprunt

While the original station was sold off, a new lab building was built by BR c1960 (after the line had gone), and the laboratory moved into it, freeing the staion building for disposal. Does this count? Nor do I know its fate.
Looking at Google Maps it looks like the station building is the community centre, and then a bit down what would have been the track there's another building which houses The Laboratory Spa and Health Club. You can book a tour but sadly that just seems to be with a view to being a member rather than for any historical railway interest.

JKF

In the past, Wolverhampton low level, Curzon Street and the old station at York would have counted when they were retained for freight use. Is there anything on that scale still in use? Isn’t there a fairly large old tube terminus in west London now used as a depot?

Rescars

I guess this is stretching (literally) the original theme, but the approaches to Bournemouth West remain as a depot long after the demolition of the station itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.