• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Electrification that's (likely) never been used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gg1

Established Member
The north facing bay at Wolverhampton?

The only vaguely plausible use is for overnight stabling of EMUs but not sure if it's ever been used for that purpose.

Last edited:

OverSpeed

Just out of interest traction is booked to go down the wired Aston-Stechford in Birmingham? I have a sneaking suspicion it might be used for ecs moves, can anyone confirm this?

Whistler40145

Established Member
Just out of interest traction is booked to go down the wired Aston-Stechford in Birmingham? I have a sneaking suspicion it might be used for ecs moves, can anyone confirm this?
Always used when Avanti services are diverted from Stafford to Rugby when the Trent Valley is closed for engineering work or emergencies

rower40

That would be challenging as they aren’t wired.
Serves me right for making assumptions about the thick and thin lines in the line diagrams in the Sectional Appendix. I searched the TPRs but that doesn't say what's got OLE and what hasn't.
Thanks for the correction and info.

oglord

The Relief lines between Severn Tunnel Junction and Cardiff, though they may see some electric trains for the upcoming Six Nations Rugby matches in Cardiff and during engineering work.
I have seen electric units using all four lines and all four platforms and both through lines at Newport.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
there is talk of remodelling the west end to enable the bays to accommodate 6x 23 or 5x 26 but this may result in loss of the forth banks siding. It’s only used for stabling and doesn't see use by engineering trains down to the former goods station any more so wouldn’t be a great loss.
The sad thing is there was a like for like track renewal just a few years ago when nobody had the foresight to make provision for longer trains.
A remodelling might potentially enable the retention of Forth Banks but with reduced options to access it if it were felt worthwhile, but as noted it apparently doesn't see much use these days

pgfb1306

They should do because eventually peak Corby services may be operated with 3 x 4-car Class 360s. Also remember, the class 360 and 700 EMUs are formed of 20m* cars, unlike the 23m* Meridian sets.

* nominal
I've been off platform one on a Corby with a 8 car and a dead 360 on the buffers, and still a bit on the top.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Soho North Junction to Soho East Junction
I've had a 323 over that short section of track on the Saturday morning Wolverhampton - Walsall 'Direct' service. The usual route was closed for engineering works.

Also I think there is an ECS which goes that way as a positioning move to/from Walsall

YorksLad12

Established Member
Are platforms 7 & 14 (East facing bays) electrified at Leeds? If so, can't be much electric traction that's used them.
P17 caters for the diesel services to Castleford, Knottingley and Barnsley (and Sheffield, Nottingham and Lincoln). At the other end, P0 mostly (but not wholly) sees diesel units to Harrogate and beyond. Both are wired up (and P0 does see some electrics of course).

matchmaker

Established Member
Do any electric hauled freights go to Grangemouth? I know that Falkirk Grahamston terminators use the branch to turn round.

mcmad

The south facing bay on the Up line at Berwick Upon Tweed is wired but the tracks long since lifted. The termination mast has a plaque on it, from memory a "this was the X,000,000 mast planted as part of the ECML electrification.

AMD

Liverpool Wapping sidings, on the south side of Edge Hill station, this is wired all the way to the end of the line at the far end of Crown Street tunnel - possibly last used in the 80s or early 90s by electric locos?
Also the bay platforms at Lancaster???

Have the Freight lines at Ince Moss being mentioned?
The Ince Moss line has been used by electric passenger trains at least twice in the last two years when there's been a block on the Chat Moss route.

plugwash

Established Member
The wires to Hazel Grove can only be used when services terminate there.
There was a period (and depending on what the "Manchester recovery taskforce" does there may be a period again in the future) where very little used the electrification at Hazel Grove, but at present there are regular electric services between hazel grove and Blackpool

Whistler40145

Established Member
Liverpool Wapping sidings, on the south side of Edge Hill station, this is wired all the way to the end of the line at the far end of Crown Street tunnel - possibly last used in the 80s or early 90s by electric locos?
Also the bay platforms at Lancaster???

The Ince Moss line has been used by electric passenger trains at least twice in the last two years when there's been a block on the Chat Moss route.
I've done the line to Crown Street Liverpool on a diverted Euston to Blackpool North with a 87 and Mk 3 DVT set

Western 52

Swansea Maliphant Hitachi depot had electrification almost completed before the decision to end the wires at Cardiff. Since then most of the equipment on the posts was removed, but posts mainly still there. What a waste of resources and money!

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
There was a period (and depending on what the "Manchester recovery taskforce" does there may be a period again in the future) where very little used the electrification at Hazel Grove, but at present there are regular electric services between hazel grove and Blackpool
Yes, for a number of years it was one train per day, something like 19.22 from Piccadilly, I can't recall if it returned in service or empty.

route101

Established Member
Larkfield - Shields has been used for diverted passenger trains when the route through Eglinton Street and including the route off the Cathcart circle have been blocked for engineering.
I think a 390 went that route on diversion. I could be dreaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.