• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Heritage railways that run trains on NR lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It’s NNR Volunteers/Staff and Rolling Stock, trained to mainline standards by and running as NYMR whilst on the mainline network :)

Merthyr Imp

The WSR and its landlord, Somerset County Council, no longer have active plans or ambitions to run into Taunton. It hasn't really had any such ambition since the 1970s plans for commuter services between Minehead and Taunton were kyboshed by British Rail and the NUR.

Don't forget the 'Butlin's Express' regular services that ran from Bristol Temple Meads through to Minehead in 2007. My son and I had a ride from Minehead to Taunton and back.

pdeaves

Established Member
Don't forget the 'Butlin's Express' regular services that ran from Bristol Temple Meads through to Minehead in 2007. My son and I had a ride from Minehead to Taunton and back.
That wasn't the heritage line running on NR metals (as per this thread), though, but a 'main line' company running onto heritage metals. There have been, over the years, a lot of through charters of one form or another onto the mainline-linked heritage railways.

Belperpete

Established Member
The WHR (Welsh Highland Railway) at Porthmadog runs 'over' NR metals in the sense that it has a flat crossing with them. :E
Welsh Highland trains run on (not just 'over') NR metals, because NR own the narrow gauge track over the flat crossing and either side of it to the property boundary.

Status
Not open for further replies.