• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Largest town without an escalator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
I'll open the bidding with Tonbridge, population circa 40k. (It does have a couple of lifts at the station).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'll nominate Dewsbury as a contender...

Population: 62,945 (2011 Census). I can't think of any buildings with escalators within the ring-road nor immediately outside it (which includes the station). Batley, though smaller, has multiple escalators in the Mill Outlet and the travelators in the Tesco.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The shopping centre in Carmarthen has an escalator.

I did ponder briefly whether it was the westernmost escalator in Wales.

Crossover

Established Member
I'll nominate Dewsbury as a contender...

Population: 62,945 (2011 Census). I can't think of any buildings with escalators within the ring-road nor immediately outside it (which includes the station). Batley, though smaller, has multiple escalators in the Mill Outlet and the travelators in the Tesco.

Me neither - all the shops are broadly single floor - one of the few that isn't would be Sports Direct, but I don't think it has anything other than steps/lift.

gnolife

Established Member
I can't think of anywhere in Sale (population 134,022 in the 2011 census) with an escalator.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Westernmost escalator in England is in Poundstretcher in Penzance, but only in the up direction! The westernmost down escalator is in the Wharfside Shopping Centre in Pz.: when the latter opened in 1991 my wife was asked by an elderly couple if she could assist them on getting on it as neither had ever experienced one before.

pdq

Nothing in Haverfordwest? Maybe in the former Ocky White department store, or in the newer out of town stores near Withybush Hospital?

Does anyone remember the old Co-op store in Pembroke Dock - did that have one?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
WALES again , I seem to recall over 25 years ago , friends commenting on the M+S at Bangor having an escalator.

Shades of Garrison Keilor and Lake Woebegone ,if anyone here has ever read this - ....

scrapy

Established Member
I can't think of anywhere in Sale (population 134,022 in the 2011 census) with an escalator.

No don't think there are now. There used to be one in the old coop department store (Where Aldi is now) and one in the indoor market

scrapy

Established Member
Westernmost escalator in England is in Poundstretcher in Penzance, but only in the up direction! The westernmost down escalator is in the Wharfside Shopping Centre in Pz.: when the latter opened in 1991 my wife was asked by an elderly couple if she could assist them on getting on it as neither had ever experienced one before.

I this also the southernmost? Think the one in Beales in Lowestoft is the easternmost.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I this also the southernmost? Think the one in Beales in Lowestoft is the easternmost.

Assuming the Lizard is an escalator-free zone (couldn't swear to RNAS Culdrose, though)then quite possibly.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I've never been to a UK hotel and seen an escalator but have seen them in hotels in other countries. I wonder some towns have a place like a hotel which has an escalator that not many people who live in the town are aware of?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Turned on a programme about the Pentagon last night. Apparently it has lots of escalators but no lifts (except for freight).

That makes sense, to me anyway. An escalator can always be used manually: no-one need be trapped!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Turned on a programme about the Pentagon last night. Apparently it has lots of escalators but no lifts (except for freight).

Indeed, that's true. I had a tour of the Pentagon some years back. It's a surprisingly anodyne building, more so than the MoD's property at Whitehall for example.

krus_aragon

Established Member
WALES again , I seem to recall over 25 years ago , friends commenting on the M+S at Bangor having an escalator.

I think your friends were commenting on the escalator at Woolworths, as Bangor only acquired a (small) M&S roughly a decade ago. That Woolworths escalator was the only one I'd encounter regularly when growing up on Anglesey. (M&S at Llandudno had a pair of upward escalators too.) I had a mild fear of falling on downward escalators for many years, as I'd only encounter them every two years when we went abroad on holiday.

Woolworths' site ar Bangor is now a Boots, but they only use one floor as retail space, so Bangor no longer has an escalator.

Groningen

Established Member
If a shoppingcentre has at least 2 levels than i can not imagine that is has no escalators.

Status
Not open for further replies.