• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: longest time rolling stock has been in sidings

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
Is all that 1983 Jubilee line stock still loitering around various yards on LU, having been there since the extension opened ?

The cars removed from South Harrow were the last, I think there is one last car of 83 stock at Acton Works, used for ERU training, and I suspect quite heavily hacked around. There is of course the preserved car, the four on the roof at Shoreditch, and one car sold to Tyne and Wear Fire Service. Another car was sold but not sure what became of that.

There's still a 4-car unit of 72MK1 stock at Acton, withdrawn 1998, and also 2 cars at Hainault. One of the latter could just see service again as there are, or possibly were, plans to make up 2 extra trains for the Bakerloo, and the car concerned is the only spare UNDM of this type. That said, I'll believe it when I see it, and I suspect this proposal may have been quietly dropped.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The cars removed from South Harrow were the last, I think there is one last car of 83 stock at Acton Works, used for ERU training, and I suspect quite heavily hacked around. There is of course the preserved car, the four on the roof at Shoreditch, and one car sold to Tyne and Wear Fire Service. Another car was sold but not sure what became of that.

There's still a 4-car unit of 72MK1 stock at Acton, withdrawn 1998, and also 2 cars at Hainault. One of the latter could just see service again as there are, or possibly were, plans to make up 2 extra trains for the Bakerloo, and the car concerned is the only spare UNDM of this type. That said, I'll believe it when I see it, and I suspect this proposal may have been quietly dropped.

Such a waste :(

Domh245

Established Member
The cars removed from South Harrow were the last, I think there is one last car of 83 stock at Acton Works, used for ERU training, and I suspect quite heavily hacked around. There is of course the preserved car, the four on the roof at Shoreditch, and one car sold to Tyne and Wear Fire Service. Another car was sold but not sure what became of that

Is your missing 83 stock the one used at Great Ormond Street as a radio station?

There are also some 72 stock cars in the Aldwych tunnel

D365

Veteran Member
Is your missing 83 stock the one used at Great Ormond Street as a radio station?

Which is not in a siding and therefore irrelevant to the original question.

There are also some 72 stock cars in the Aldwych tunnel

The unit is still maintained AFAIK, for use in shooting films. Which includes trips up and down the Piccadilly 'to stretch its legs'.

thenorthern

Established Member
Although not in a single location the Class 151s spent a long time in several locations out of service and left idle until they were scrapped in 2004. I think they were kept in Llandudno Junction, Derby and finally Crewe.

glbotu

There were, last I checked, a bunch of wagons in March Up sidings, which have clearly been there quite some time.

physics34

Established Member
theres a kind of flat wagon looking thing, south of Crowborough that looks like its been there donkeys years.

Townsend Hook

There were the various semi-preserved wagons stored in the Pullman works at Preston Park until 2010ish, must have been there since at least the mid 70s.

34D

Established Member
There's some stuff in the Peterborough area that's been there ages.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Not sure if relevant but what about the brand new Class 456's that were stored in Fratton sidings in the early 1990's which, from memory were meant for the SWT but there was some dispute regarding the position of the driver's seating which had to be modified before entry to service - but ended up going to Connex SouthCentral instead

chessie

On your way to Skegness, look right just after Ancaster station and theres an old guard wagon thats been stabled in this location for over 30 years now. Natures well and truly taken over nowadays, theres little chance of it moving anytime soon as the siding its located on has been severed from the main line in more recent years

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Bournemouth depot used to have some old slamdoor stock in a siding near to the entrance for a good few years, you used to be able to see them from Branksome station

james60059

58005 was stabled at Leicester for an while (a few years IIRC). I also remember as a kid, there was 2 rakes of HAA hoppers in the sidings adjacent to Hawkesbury Lane level crossing (on the line between Bedworth and Coventry) for many years too. I think the sidings are lifted now though with just a loop.

Andyjs247

A few parcels vans in the bay at Oxford have been there a while

Re: Those two vans in the bay at Oxford - are they still being used as store rooms?

They've been there since at least 1985 - as long as I can remember really. However they are due to move shortly to be preserved/restored (not sure where) as Chiltern need somewhere for their trains from Marylebone soon. They will be moving by road - removal is complicated by the redevelopment of Frideswide Square outside the station.

dmncf

I'm surprised that those National Power blue and grey coloured bogie hopper wagons at Southall, that I always assumed would be scrapped on site, were resurrected a few months ago and are now back in service - I saw them at Acton earlier this week and some of them had been repainted DB Schenker red! I wonder how long they had been rusting away at Southall?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
There are two ballast wagons lost in the woods that have overgrown Burnden Jn sidings (just south of Bolton station). They were left there after some engineering works in September 1998.

Status
Not open for further replies.