• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[trivia] Longest walk between platforms at a 2 platform station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
All true (and very tragic), but don't see how this is relevant to the thread, as the platform to platform distance is short.
It's the longest time taken between platforms. Physical distance isn't everything.

Normally at a two-platform there's little or no need to get between the platforms (apart from the staff of course), you are either arriving or departing. Elsenham had been set up as an exception, you needed to go to both to get a Down service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

billio

Garsdale. There used to be a foot crossing but it was regarded as unsafe. Now you have a 5 minute walk up a steep hill or a quicker walk downhill, so in that sense it's 'new'.

Statto

Established Member
Not National Rail, but on the Tyne & Wear Metro, Ilford Road has no footbridge or underpass between the platforms, means a 330 yard detour via Moorfield Road to get to the other platform

D365

Veteran Member
Not National Rail, but on the Tyne & Wear Metro, Ilford Road has no footbridge or underpass between the platforms, means a 330 yard detour via Moorfield Road to get to the other platform
I remember that one as a Geoff fact.

apk55

While now on a tramway Trafford Bar (was Old Trafford). As there is a reasonable demand for cross platform connections (such as a Altrincham to East Didsbury journey) passengers are encouraged to change at the next station (Cornbrook) where there is an Island platform. To get from one platform to the other involves going out onto the street.

All platforms

Wood End is a request stop on the Shakespeare line and has short platforms. It is situated in quite a deep cutting and it is one hell of a hike to get up the steps and along one of the longest access paths (both sides) i have ever come across. It took me a good 5 minutes and with some effort to make it between the 2 platforms on a recent visit to bag the 4 request stops on the line.

Peter C

Established Member
If you use the ramps on the footbridge at Charlbury, then you'd have a fairly long walk from one platform to the other. There are, however, sets of stairs on each platform so you've got two ways of getting 'up and over' to the other side.

-Peter

Parallel

Established Member
A couple of the stations between Cardiff Central and Bridgend look to have platforms a fair distance apart. I can't remember which ones for certain but think it was Pontyclun and Pencoed.

Rail Bus

Quite a few on the mid Cheshire, Greenbank and Cuddington spring to mind........also Rhosneigr

LowLevel

Established Member
Ruskington is a fair old yomp since they removed the barrow crossing.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
While now on a tramway Trafford Bar (was Old Trafford). As there is a reasonable demand for cross platform connections (such as a Altrincham to East Didsbury journey) passengers are encouraged to change at the next station (Cornbrook) where there is an Island platform. To get from one platform to the other involves going out onto the street.

Haha yeah had a few instances of changing from the Altrincham (yours) line to the East Didsbury one!

imagination

Garth has a total of two platforms. There is a mere 49 mile walk between them.

(sorry)

Last edited:

greaterwest

Established Member
Crowthorne ?
Crowthorne, Sandhurst and Blackwater each involve leaving NR property to get to the other platform. Sandhurst has extremely long ramps down to the road level and Blackwater is especially bad if you're unable to use the stairs to the A30 road bridge over the station.

gazr

Wood End is a request stop on the Shakespeare line and has short platforms. It is situated in quite a deep cutting and it is one hell of a hike to get up the steps and along one of the longest access paths (both sides) i have ever come across. It took me a good 5 minutes and with some effort to make it between the 2 platforms on a recent visit to bag the 4 request stops on the line.

There is a really nice pub just up the road... It was a very hot day when I visited, so it would have been rude not to go in for some liquid refreshment.

davetheguard

Established Member
Crowthorne, Sandhurst and Blackwater each involve leaving NR property to get to the other platform.

This also applies to Dorking Deepdene which is on the same line as the stations mentioned above by greaterwest; long flights of stairs down to the road, walk under the railway, and then back up another long set of steps.

vic-rijrode

I seem to recall Conwy as having a bit of a trek between platforms. I had been up to Llandudno from the Junction, got back ready for the Birmingham train but decided to get something to eat. When I returned I saw the Birmingham train in the up platform (3?), ran down and jumped on as the doors closed, only to realise that the train was going the wrong way across Stephenson's bridge.

I got off at Conwy on the down platform with (as I thought) just a couple of minutes before the real Birmingham train was due to call at the opposite platform. Across the station footbridge I thought - nope. Up the 100 yard incline to the road way, 50 yards along the road, turn right and down the 100 yard footpath to the up side of the station just as my train pulled in. 5 minutes later I was back where I started from at Llandudno Junction - only on the right train this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.