• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - mainline stations with through lines with no platform faces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Exeter Central through lines went some time ago didnt they?
The Up Through went in November 1969. The Down was still in use in the early 1980s, but probably went around the time the box closed in May 1985 (not sure, though).

infobleep

Veteran Member
I don't think Totnes has been mentioned - two through lines although nearly all passengers trains call. Dawlish Warren has been listed.
Did anyone mention Durham, one through line only.
What are the through likes used for?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
No line actually through the station that does not have a platform face. The avoiding lines do not pass through the station area as the name implies.

I was assuming if Darlington was allowed above (see post #27) which has the same layout of through lines outside the ‘station area’ then so would York. In both cases the station areas are on lines diverged from the main running lines.

What are the through likes used for?

Trains which don’t stop at that station!

infobleep

Veteran Member
I was assuming if Darlington was allowed above (see post #27) which has the same layout of through lines outside the ‘station area’ then so would York. In both cases the station areas are on lines diverged from the main running lines.

Trains which don’t stop at that station!
Lol what I kind of meant was is it passenger services that pass through without stopping?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Lol what I kind of meant was is it passenger services that pass through without stopping?

Where in particular? Generally through lines are used for all traffic not booked to call at a location whether it be non-stop passenger trains or freight trains which have no crew relief at that location.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I was assuming if Darlington was allowed above (see post #27) which has the same layout of through lines outside the ‘station area’ then so would York. In both cases the station areas are on lines diverged from the from the main running lines.
It's not the same situation. At Darlington trains are routed into either the platform or through lines at the same decision point. At York trains must diverge at Skelton Junction before getting to the station area.
Claiming the York avoiders are through lines would be like claiming Northampton has a Down through because of Weedon.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Where in particular? Generally through lines are used for all traffic not booked to call at a location whether it be non-stop passenger trains or freight trains which have no crew relief at that location.
Here
I don't think Totnes has been mentioned - two through lines although nearly all passengers trains call.

The reason for wondering is that the through lines through Havant were taken up so I was kind of wondering why though lines at Totnes still exist.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The reason for wondering is that the through lines through Havant were taken up so I was kind of wondering why though lines at Totnes still exist.
The lines at Havant may well have been taken up to simplify the signalling/alignment for reversible working. Totnes has been left alone as there is no need to change it.

brewer85

Don't think I have seen mentioned:
London Fields
Cambridge Heath
Bethnal Green (Overground)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The lines at Havant may well have been taken up to simplify the signalling/alignment for reversible working. Totnes has been left alone as there is no need to change it.
I think you’re right, the provision of two sets of crossovers at each end of the station for full bidirectional working, ie facing and trailing, was done during the Portsmouth Area resignalling in 2007, and IIRC the one remaining through line was removed in 2006 as a precursor to the work..

londontransit

Don't think I have seen mentioned:
London Fields
Cambridge Heath
Bethnal Green (Overground)
Yes those are good ones! In terms of the Eastern Stratford used to have a number of through roads (including spurs) but not since the station was rebuilt a few decades back when the station's last remaining through track was removed.

Another I can add for that region is Manor Park which has a freight loop (even though there is a short section of platform that overlooks this its not suitable for passengers.)

Anyway some other types of station that have a single platform but a number of tracks either passenger or freight also exist. Princes Risborough used to be one but not anymore (although the new build still has through roads with no platforms.)

Current examples I can think of are Maryport (which I spotted on Gloves Trains ) and also Newcraighall on the Borders Line/Edinburgh Suburban loop which I've seen on some Drivers Eye videos. These platforms are bi-directional and can only be used via one track for passenger trains even though there are others, for example at Newcraighall trains can use any route (including the platform track) to access the rail yards.

Last edited by a moderator:

D365

Veteran Member
Would Dore be considered under this criteria?

EDIT: Already been discussed.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Crowhurst
Does it? I'm aware of the 'Down Hastings' line passing alongside Platform 2 and the 'Up Hastings' line passing alongside Platform 1 at Crowhurst. And that's it, unless very much mistaken. Might of course have been different in the past.

Can anyone confirm?

farleigh

Does it? I'm aware of the 'Down Hastings' line passing alongside Platform 2 and the 'Up Hastings' line passing alongside Platform 1 at Crowhurst. And that's it, unless very much mistaken. Might of course have been different in the past.

Can anyone confirm?
No you are right - my error :oops:

zwk500

Veteran Member

Can anyone confirm?
It used to have through lines, but no longer does. https://www.kentrail.org.uk/crowhurst_2.htm say 1971 for removal.

Gloster

Established Member

Can anyone confirm?
Must be long gone: Crowhurst B box closed in 1971.

steamybrian

Established Member
No you are right - my error :oops:
Crowhurst did have centre through lines but they were removed when the track layout was reduced following closure of the Bexhill West branch.

New Cross and St Johns have platforms on the slow lines only.
They both had platforms on the fast lines but they were removed around the 1970s

Wandsworth Road and Clapham High Street have platforms on the Atlantic Lines only. The platforms on the Chatham Lines were closed in 1916 and subsequently removed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.