• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia- most circuitous route between closest stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I didn't think this was possible, but a ticket is available between Blackpool North and South, via Kirkham. Admits it's a long walk between them (Mile?? More??) but still walkable and a single can be anything between £8.10 and £26.60.

£26.60 for goodness sakes....that is the Lancashire Day Ranger but there's no alternative save for the odd service which charges the lower fare (eg 1755).
That's an example of NRE suggesting a local rover when it doesn't know what other ticket to suggest. In reality it would be much cheaper to buy a combination of tickets, e.g. splitting at Kirkham.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Waterloo to Waterloo East must surely be a contender here

Waterloo > Clapham Junction > East Croydon > London Bridge > Waterloo East might be fastest. Via Overground and changing at Clapham Junction & Peckham Rye might be geographically closer but maybe slower. But yeah pretty circutious for a 1-2 minute walk although the OP did exclude London terminals!

Recessio

Edenbridge to Edenbridge Town? I can't even calculate a route as all mapping the tools and website just say to walk it (10-15 minutes). I reckon it would be at least two changes though?

Howardh

Established Member
That's an example of NRE suggesting a local rover when it doesn't know what other ticket to suggest. In reality it would be much cheaper to buy a combination of tickets, e.g. splitting at Kirkham.
Q - if someone wanted to get from one Burscough station to the other the route is lengthy, and there is no ticket, but as above why can't NRE suggest a rover for that?

In these days of vlogs, someone out there would make a trip of it, "I can see the other station from here, but can't get to it directly...so let's go the long way round!!"

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Suprised Newark hasn't been mentioned yet...
There are services that serve both stations, reversing at Newark Crossing East Jn. In fact, this and next weekend there's even a ~2-hourly service doing that.

ffesti

Can this not (in theory) be done by changing at both Chinley and Hazel Grove? Something like 18 miles then.
In theory, yes. In practice no. There is (unbelievably) a single train per day which stops at both HAZ and CLY, being the 0604 from HAZ (2S90)

Despite having 2 trains per hour per direction all day passing through, they don’t stop.

Hertford North to Hertford East

On the tube : North Ealing to West Acton
HFN to HFE is given as 2hr 59mins by train (via Stevenage, Cambridge and Broxbourne), or 21 minutes on foot

Last edited:

plugwash

Established Member
The two Wigan stations are visible from each other and are only a few tens of metres apart. There's no direct service so how would I get from station to station just using the train.
Change at Hindley.

I looked at the times for the middle of the day tomorrow and got 41 minuites for wallgate to north western and 43 minuites in the opposite direction. Most of that time is spent waiting at Hindley as services are relatively infrequent.

BJames

Established Member
Edenbridge to Edenbridge Town? I can't even calculate a route as all mapping the tools and website just say to walk it (10-15 minutes). I reckon it would be at least two changes though?
I thought of this one too - I imagine the route is Edenbridge-Redhill-East Croydon-Edenbridge Town (as the other direction would take you to Tonbridge-London Bridge-Edenbridge Town but pretty sure this would take longer) - but definitely a circuitous route.

plugwash

Established Member
Can this not (in theory) be done by changing at both Chinley and Hazel Grove? Something like 18 miles then.
It's possible but highly impractical because there are very few trains that stop at both Hazel Grove and Chinley. The line from Hazel Grove to Chinley sees roughtly 2 TPH but the vast majority of those trains run non-stop from Stockport to Dore or Sheffield.

Central to Newtown via that route is only possible once per week on a Saturday and takes nearly two hours due to long interchange times.

New Mils Central 07:06 -> Chinley 07:13
Chinley 0803 -> Hazel Grove 08:16
Hazel Grove 08:48 -> Chinley 09:00

Newtown to Central via that route does not seem to be possible in a single day. The only train from Hazel Grove to Chinley leaves at 06:15 (Monday to Saturday, no service on Sundays), however the First train from New mills newtwon to Chinley doesn't arrive until 06:35 on a weekday and 09:22 on a Saturday.

If we use Stockport Instead of Hazel Grove, more options open up (as some of the EMR trains stop at Chinley but not Hazel Grove), but we are still talking a handful of feasible itinaries per day in each direction.

busestrains

On Moderation
These following six examples are probably contenders for this:

• Canterbury East to Canterbury West
• Dorking to Dorking Deepdene
• Edenbridge to Edenbridge Town
• Farnborough Main to Farnborough North
• Maidstone East to Maidstone West
• Windsor & Eton Central to Windsor & Eton Riverside

I am not sure of the exact distances but they are all a short walk from each other but all require a very long route to go entirely by train instead.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Most circuitous route?

How about Canterbury West to Canterbury East going either:

via Minster, Minster curve, and Dover Priory (reverse)
via Ashford (reverse), Folkestone and Dover Priory

To walk between the 2 stations takes about 15min

Maidstone East to Maidstone West going either:

via Ashford (reverse), Paddock Wood (reverse)
via Otford (reverse), Sevenoaks, Tonbridge and Paddock Wood

Again, walking time between the two is about 15min

A0wen

On Moderation
Bicester North - Bicester Village ? (Double back at Haddenham or to Oxford and Banbury).

Is there anything direct between Yeovil Junc and Pen Mill now ? I know there was at one point, not sure if there still is.

Gainsborough Central - Gainsborough Lea Road.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Reddish South to Reddish North would be a bit of a challenging journey by rail, especially on a weekday!

London Trains

Morden (LU) to Morden South

I presume the shortest and fastest route would be Northern Line to Balham, Southern to Clapham Jct, SWR to Wimbledon and TL to Morden South.

The route with the least changes would be Northern Line to E&C then TL.

London Trains

Epsom Downs to Tattenham Corner: (Epsom Downs > West Croydon > Norwood Jct > Tattenham Corner or Epsom Downs > Selhurst > East Croydon > Tattenham Corner)

Balham to Tooting (Thameslink) - actually consecutive stations based on track layout but they have no direct services. The shortest route based on distance would be either Balham > Mitcham Eastfields > Streatham > Tooting or Balham > Streatham Common > Streatham > Tooting. Both routes involve passing through Streatham Junction 3 different times!

duncanp

Established Member
Was that actually Kilburn?

Sorry, I mean Camden Road station on the London Overground.

Then on the tube, you have South Wimbledon - Wimbledon, Cockfosters - High Barnet, Ruislip - West Ruislip and Northwick Park - Kenton.

Can we expand this to outside the UK?

If so, then Comines (France) to Comines (Belgium) would be a circuitous route via Lille Flandres and Kortrijk if going by rail, or three quarters of a mile to walk.

Last edited:
Probably not the best contender in terms of extra time, but Heath High Level to Heath Low Level in South Wales.

A minute or two by foot, or a change onto a different valley line at CDQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.