• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia- most circuitous route between closest stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidal

Let's exclude the London terminii.Wigan Wallgate to Wigan North Western via normal timetabled services? Any others that immediately jump out?

James

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WizCastro197

Established Member
Let's exclude the London terminii.Wigan Wallgate to Wigan North Western via normal timetabled services? Any others that immediately jump out?

James
What do you mean by circuitous?

I was going to say Streatham stations but I am not sure what your criteria are.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
St Albans to St Albans Abbey. Maybe 35 miles by rail? Just over a mile on foot. Is that what you were after?

vidal

What do you mean by circuitous?

I was going to say Streatham stations but I am not sure what your criteria are.
The two Wigan stations are visible from each other and are only a few tens of metres apart. There's no direct service so how would I get from station to station just using the train.

SD.

Purple Train

Established Member
The two Wigan stations are visible from each other and are only a few tens of metres apart. There's no direct service so how would I get from station to station just using the train.

SD.
With your given example, it would be an hour and a quarter changing at Daisy Hill.

Catford to Catford Bridge might also be a contender - not the longest journey (40 minutes roughly from memory) but the stations are so close to each other that the ratio is probably bigger.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Change at Ince?

PGAT

Established Member
I was going to say Streatham stations
Well Streatham and Streatham Common are direct, and Streatham Hill is only 1/2 changes (1 for changing at Balham for Streatham Common, and possibly 1 if the parliamentary service comes back for Streatham)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The two Windsor stations are going to be difficult to beat. Just 350m apart but it would take a journey of 37.5 miles to get between the two via the absolute shortest rail route - via Brentford, Acton Central and Acton Main Line. However, this route has no passenger service over two parts of it (Brentford to South Acton and Acton Central to Main Line). The shortest route with a passenger service would be 51.5 miles via Reading. That's a ratio of 1:237.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
New Mills Central to New Mills Newtown.

BRFares offers a single fare of £16.80, changing at Manchester Piccadilly and taking around 1 hour 30 minutes. You can walk between the two stations in ten!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The trains to Wigan North Western run nonstop from Daisy Hill (skipping the interchange station of Hindley & Ince)
Believe the 0833, 1433 (SX) and 1956 weekday departures from Ince all terminate at Wigan North Western. Is that no longer the case?

duncanp

Established Member
Hertford North to Hertford East

On the tube : North Ealing to West Acton

duncanp

Established Member
Harringay Green Lanes (GOBLIN) to Harringay

Leytobstone High Road (GOBLIN) to Leytonstone (Central Line)

Kentish Town to Kentish Town West

Camden Town to Camden High Road

Ken H

On Moderation
Bradford stations. To leeds and back. Not too far.

Does a case like liverpool Lime St and Liverpool Central count. Is lime street 2 stations or one? Same question for Glasgow.

In the old days it would have been different. Liv Exchange to Central????

MadMac

Uddingston to Newton. Only way between the two is to go all the way round via Hamilton. Newton is where you would change for trains to Cathcart Circle stations and King’s Park for Hampden Park.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Never really understood the point of these questions. It's more interesting surely to compare routes where the rail journey between locations is extraordinarily longer than by other methods of transport. Example, Skegness to King's Lynn. 55 by road, 132 by rail, even shorter by air.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Inspired by discussions elsewhere, Bradford Interchange to Bradford Forster Square is fairly simple changing at Leeds... but for a bit of extra fun, avoiding Leeds would require changing at Preston, Lancaster and Bingley (or Shipley, but Bingley would be a same-platform change).

Master29

Established Member
Never really understood the point of these questions. It's more interesting surely to compare routes where the rail journey between locations is extraordinarily longer than by other methods of transport. Example, Skegness to King's Lynn. 55 by road, 132 by rail, even shorter by air.
Surely though by this logic, air has got to win each time, unless both Kings Lynn and Skegness have international airports which I don't recall.

Peter0124

Established Member
Uddingston to Newton. Only way between the two is to go all the way round via Hamilton. Newton is where you would change for trains to Cathcart Circle stations and King’s Park for Hampden Park.
You could change at Cambuslang. Admittedly the connections can be terrible.

Hopefully there will be direct services between the two in the near future:

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Several on the Tube.

Warren Street to Euston Square
Euston Square to Euston
Bayswater to Queensway
Hammersmith (Piccadilly and District) to Hammersmith (Circle and Hammersmith & City)

Epping to Harlow, the latter not on the Tube.

Away from the Tube, Bourne End to High Wycombe is much quicker by bus (and Plusbus is valid).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
New Mills Central to New Mills Newtown.

BRFares offers a single fare of £16.80, changing at Manchester Piccadilly and taking around 1 hour 30 minutes. You can walk between the two stations in ten!
About half a mile to walk, about 27-28 by train.
Can this not (in theory) be done by changing at both Chinley and Hazel Grove? Something like 18 miles then.

Howardh

Established Member
I didn't think this was possible, but a ticket is available between Blackpool North and South, via Kirkham. Admits it's a long walk between them (Mile?? More??) but still walkable and a single can be anything between £8.10 and £26.60.

£26.60 for goodness sakes....that is the Lancashire Day Ranger but there's no alternative save for the odd service which charges the lower fare (eg 1755).

Status
Not open for further replies.