• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia:music being played over station PA system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I remember many years ago music used to be played over the station PA system at Glasgow Central and also at Carlisle for a brief period. Were there any others where this used to happen and does it happen anywhere now?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Waterloo - stirring military marches am (think Colonel Bogey to keep the happy commuters going) , soothing Viennese waltzes to calm the stressed home go-ers !

(Always thought Glsgow played "random" stuff - like Jimmy Shand etc !)

Elecman

Established Member
Blackpool North certainly used to have musik I installed the system and registered it with the PRS (performing rights society)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My late gran was the station announcer at Tonbridge during WW2, and apparently someone brought in a gramophone on VE day so that they could play "Land of Hope and Glory" over the public address system.

Cletus

Established Member
Wakefield Kirkgate had brass band music playing when I was there earlier this year.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Blackpool North certainly used to have musik I installed the system and registered it with the PRS (performing rights society)
I wonder what music the staff at Blackpool chose to play to the punters - Art Blakey 's Moanin' perchance? :lol:

furnessvale

Established Member
I remember many years ago music used to be played over the station PA system at Glasgow Central and also at Carlisle for a brief period. Were there any others where this used to happen and does it happen anywhere now?

I seem to recall it being widely used in the 1970s. London Liverpool St springs to mind.

The joke always was that they played lively music in the mornings to get the commuters moving on the way TO work, but sombre music in the evenings to try and slow them down!

Sorry, just read Chief Planner's post on the same theme!

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Wasn't there some research carried out that playing classical music makes troublemaking youths less comfortable and encourages them to move on?

Yes, I always thought that was why it was done there. It's less annoying than the "teenager repellent" mosquito sound, which until a year or two ago I could hear and I'm 37...

Hauptbahnhof-Nord U-Bahn station in Hamburg also plays classical music, which with the design of the station makes it feel decidedly Soviet for some reason.

D Foster

The trick in the morning at Waterloo was to get a good marching song going in your head as the train stopped - you could then walk out-of-sync with the tame commuters that were following the broadcast rhythm. I've no idea if this actually made any difference to how fast I could get across the concourse - but it felt like "independence". :)

Pinza-C55

Virgin still do this at York. I think it is quite intrusive. If they played some AC/DC I wouldn't mind so much.

bramling

Veteran Member
Wasn't there some research carried out that playing classical music makes troublemaking youths less comfortable and encourages them to move on?

Not just youths, it's surprising how many people seem to absolutely detest classical music such that they can't bear being within earshot. I sometimes play it to get unwanted people out of my office, a tactic which proves effective.

fowler9

Established Member
I've heard Korn, System Of A Down, Papa Roach and Nirvana amongst others played at Liverpool South Parkway. I'm going to see if they take requests and up the ante to Behemoth, Carcass or At The Gates.

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
I've heard Korn, System Of A Down, Papa Roach and Nirvana amongst others played at Liverpool South Parkway. I'm going to see if they take requests and up the ante to Behemoth, Carcass or At The Gates.
Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb would be an excellent choice.
If they played some AC/DC I wouldn't mind so much.

Fantastic choices, might I say. I heard some terrible modern pop starlet's voice floating over the tannoy at Selly Oak yesterday; safe to say I turned the Soundgarden up.

Come to think of it, all these bands should (probably) get an airing at Derby/East Midlands Parkway during Download Festival season (7th-11th of June); I certainly wouldn't mind stepping off a 221 to hear Slayaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh greeting me at Derby!

fowler9

Established Member
Fantastic choices, might I say. I heard some terrible modern pop starlet's voice floating over the tannoy at Selly Oak yesterday; safe to say I turned the Soundgarden up.

Come to think of it, all these bands should (probably) get an airing at Derby/East Midlands Parkway during Download Festival season (7th-11th of June); I certainly wouldn't mind stepping off a 221 to hear Slayaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh greeting me at Derby!

Ha ha, would be good.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Wakefield Kirkgate had brass band music playing when I was there earlier this year.

Its jerusalem on constant repeat at the moment in the subway.

Think its the antisocial behaviour prevention misic of choice there at the moment

L&Y Robert

Not just youths, it's surprising how many people seem to absolutely detest classical music such that they can't bear being within earshot.

No - please NO! No music OF ANY KIND. It's a railway station. Whatever next? Scented air, maybe? ("You like scented air" - HHGttG). Dance troupe? Passenger choirs? Platform races? Random TV interviews of passengers by extra toothy big be-lipped TV women - "As a Great Northern passenger would you like to be on television? - It's a wond-erful opportunity". NO. Just give us the information we need to help us to get a train out of there. But wait - it'll be in the trains as well next. Scented air, piped music everywhere, scented carriages (It's called "Freshness". They are chemicals which give me asthma). Hate it! Feel the same as Arthur Dent did.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Willesden Junction has a fair variety from classical to ska for most of the day.

One day maybe a virtuoso will play one of the pianos at St.Pancras instead of the cat's tail in a mangle kind of sounds that greet us at present.

59CosG95

Established Member
Willesden Junction has a fair variety from classical to ska for most of the day.

One day maybe a virtuoso will play one of the pianos at St.Pancras instead of the cat's tail in a mangle kind of sounds that greet us at present.

Ah, if only such piano legends as Freddie Mercury were still alive to tinkle the ivories there; I certainly wouldn't be averse to hearing Bohemian Rhapsody on the St. Panc piano!

D Foster

No - please NO! No music OF ANY KIND. It's a railway station. Whatever next? Scented air, maybe? ("You like scented air" - HHGttG). Dance troupe? Passenger choirs? Platform races? Random TV interviews of passengers by extra toothy big be-lipped TV women - "As a Great Northern passenger would you like to be on television? - It's a wond-erful opportunity". NO. Just give us the information we need to help us to get a train out of there. But wait - it'll be in the trains as well next. Scented air, piped music everywhere, scented carriages (It's called "Freshness". They are chemicals which give me asthma). Hate it! Feel the same as Arthur Dent did.

Fresh scented air??? Whatever became of the charms of fresh diesel exhaust?

No-one has mentioned the wonders of "living statues" yet... Old hat though - had them at Greenwich back about 1998.

:D

MotCO

Established Member
On a similar theme, in 1980 the 08:14 Barnehurst to Blackfriars was cancelled almost everyday, and a song was produced in its honour - a Daytrip to Barnehurst

It was sung by Jackie and the Commuters to the tune of Daytrip to Bangor by Fidlers Dram. Surely a suitable tune to be played at stations or on trains. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.