• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Nearest station you haven't used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Anyone else been inspired to go and actually visit their nearest local unvisited station? I might have to make an effort to get some of mine done before the end of the year!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Rose Hill Marple? Can't really see the point! :s

Along with 'why not?' which isn't really good enough on its own, where's your sense of adventure? Who knows what you might come across!

There's also the rather good shared-use route on the former rail route to Macclesfield, Middlewood Way (I hope I'm remembering that name right!) just a short distance from the station. You could do it to Middlewood for a train back to Manchester, or indeed towards Buxton. I'd recommend the whole way to Macclesfield though, it's been a while since I did it but as I'm sure @Kite159 will agree it's a good one to do.

My nearest ones on the Cambrian Coast line, I know there are options to go exploring from. I'm not sure where I'd go from Newton St Cyres, not without looking at a map, and Fleet (I think that's my nearest in that direction from Hereford) I'd simply tag onto a series of journeys in the area. Quite, I may be down that way in early November so I can easily enough pop by and change that. I think I have all of the stations between Woking and Basingstoke to do yet, but I know there's plenty of cycling opportunities available around most of my nearest stations, if not all of them.

Not that that is an option right now, with both my cycles out of action awaiting repairs! Even if it's not cycling, in many places there's walking opportunities. Sometimes all it takes is looking at Maps and having an explore of what's around. It does occasionally need that spark of adventure too, of course, and sometimes there is nothing of interest around. Dovey Junction is one such place, and quite honestly all that can be done there after taking some photos is getting a book out or similar!

TLDR: Rose Hill Marple is not the most exciting place, but there are 100% options to make a trip there happen.

Grecian 1998

Sea Mills, around 4 miles away. That and Shirehampton are the only stations in Bristol I haven't yet used.

Outside Bristol, Nailsea and Backwell. I have vaguely been planning a trip to see the statue of Adge Cutler, legendary founder of the Wurzels, but haven't got round to it yet.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I rest my case, M'Lud. ;)

One could say a lot of places are not terribly exciting, indeed I've been to plenty of those places. The last stop before East Kilbride, whatever it's called, I did for the sake of it earlier this year and had a bit of a walkabout between trains, it wasn't very exciting. I didn't think it would be though!

It's worth noting that I did the Rose Hill Marple branch way back when the yellow Merseyrail 142s were still a thing. Early 2004 I want to say, maybe early 2005. Either way it was more than 17 years ago! To access the Middlewood Way, due to the ridiculous fares asked for from Stockport, I ended up cycling over from Stockport which was an adventure on its own!

Anyway, the original point was that I'm rather inspired to get out there and visit some of these stations. Surely someone else will have been by this thread too!

miklcct

On Moderation
Has anyone here never used the station nearest to home, but always goes to another station to take trains? If so, what's the reason? I can imagine this may the case if the home station only has a limited service.

Gloster

Established Member
When I lived in London my nearest station was Headstone Lane, but I never used it. I always used Harrow & Wealdstone because it was an easier walk and a better service, including the Bakerloo.

In Somerset I never used my nearest station as it was an awkward drive, unattended and had a poorer service than the stations either side.

Silver Cobra

For me, although I have passed through it many times over the last 5 to 7 years, I've never boarded or alighted a train at Sandy, which is 2 stations up from my local station of Arlesey. I've done every station on the main ECML from Stevenage to Peterborough except Sandy.

jfollows

Established Member
Has anyone here never used the station nearest to home, but always goes to another station to take trains? If so, what's the reason? I can imagine this may the case if the home station only has a limited service.
I lived closer to Portchester station but usually walked further to Fareham because Portchester often required an additional change (depending on where I was going, this was in 1986).

birchesgreen

Established Member
Well i have used the nearest station to me (Erdington) but very rarely and not for years, i use Chester Road instead which is a bit further away but has a large free car park!

PGAT

Established Member
Mostly use Norwood Junction instead of Selhurst (about 10 min walk from each other) because of fast trains to London, the Overground and better connections in the south.

Mikey C

Established Member
For people who drive to a station, the further away option might be an easier drive or have a better car park.

Purple Train

Established Member
Yes. For absolutely no reason at all, given the difference in services between them is about 2tpd.

Snapper37

Yes Combe for me, with its one train each way daily. Usually drive to Long Handbrough, or Bus to Oxford. Will do it one day!

richw

Veteran Member
Menheniot approx 3.5 miles away, but going back 5 or more years ago when I commuted by train from Liskeard to Truro I went through a phase of buying my weekly or monthly tickets from similar priced nearby stations, coombe junction and menheniot were both options I purchased!

When based in Exeter, my nearest unused station was Pinhoe (closely followed by Newton St Cyres). Where i currently am in Cornwall my nearest is Perranwell (closely followed by the rest of the stations on the Falmouth line, except Falmouth Docks).

Trackman

Established Member
Top of my head St.Johns (well.. no surprise there) and Grove Park.

Westhoughton - just under 3 miles from home.
I did use Westhoughton station a couple of times. Think they had sidings to the Metal Box factory at the time. We are talking early 80's.
Nowhere near the middle of Westhoughton, I used to walk over a field, it's an housing estate now.

Status
Not open for further replies.