• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Nicknames we use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat Roofer

The last train from London to Brighton (especially on a Friday or Saturday) is often referred to as the "vomit comet"

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lucky63

Stop bullying sprinters!!! Some of us really like sprinters. In fact, class 150s are my favourite type of train! The engine sounds are so distinct on a class 150, Thier flat facing front is very unique and beautiful (imo - though the 150/0 and /1 are superior to the /2). You don't get the lovely diesel sounds on electric trains!!!

I like the bench style seat facing the toilet on a 150/1 for some strange reason.
I do however despise the 3+2 seating arrangement.

Noticed some mentioned 'Dusty Bin' earlier, this has a different meaning to me, being MP321 signal after leaving Ardwick towards Piccadilly. For those who know the 70s TV game show you'll understand!

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I like the bench style seat facing the toilet on a 150/1 for some strange reason.
I do however despise the 3+2 seating arrangement.

Noticed some mentioned 'Dusty Bin' earlier, this has a different meaning to me, being MP321 signal after leaving Ardwick towards Piccadilly. For those who know the 70s TV game show you'll understand!

The game show is the same reason for the other meaning. It's the nickname for the class 321s

GW43125

Established Member
"Vomiter" or "Vomit Comet"- a 220/221.

Even more so if a single unit is on a Bomo-bound service on a Summer Saturday...

"Veg-Ex"-bashers' charter train
"Wedge-ex"-as per Summer Saturday Vomiters to Bournemouth.

Last edited:

Phil.

Established Member
When they were first on the W.R. class 50s tended to be referred to (by staff) as fifty-fiftys. On account of that there was a 50/50 chance of it getting to it's destination.:)

AC47461

47901 was always known to me as super-duff on account of it being the test bed for the 56s.
31111 was called 'sticks'
With DB 66s known as Sheds, I've usually known Freightliner ones as Greenhouses.
Class 13s (for those that remember them) where double-gronks.
09s where super gronks
Anything 07 downwards (esp 03s) were mini-gronks
33/2s were Slim Jims on account of their flat sides for the Hastings loading gauge
33/1s were Bagpipes with all the EMU control pipes hanging off the front
I've heard 70s called fuglies
Any overheard electric locos sometimes called Sparklers.
I've heard Scud used for the 86/Mk2 DBSO Norwich sets.
Another nickname for a 153 is a Burger Van (I prefer Tin Rocket myself...)
1st Gen DMUs - bogs

AC47461

3-2-1=former game show with mascot dusty bin, hence class 321/anything else 321=dusty bins

I remember being told by a friend's father who worked at Ilford Depot when the 321s were introduced that a memo went round from management requesting that staff did not refer to them as Dusty Bins. How true that was I'm not 100% sure but I have no reason to doubt him. Bit pointless really as that nickname was going round before any of them were in service....

A Challenge

Established Member
3-2-1=former game show with mascot dusty bin, hence class 321/anything else 321=dusty bins
I had assumed there was something special about the signal being the last one into Manchester as they said, not just that!

kevconnor

The Stockport to Stalybridge parliamentary service is known as the Denton flyer or Stalyvegas flyer

A more generic one for stopping services is to call them the milk trains. Also heard this term used to describe late night/early morning services.

Last edited:

Master29

Established Member
I've seen Class 35's referred to as "Hymek".

Hymek was a blend of 2 words. HYdraulic because of the transmission and MEKydro design of these units.

Back to the thread, Voyagers = pooh tubes.

12CSVT

Established Member
Class 08 and 09 - gronks, rods
Class 20 - bombs, wardrobes
Class 31 - peds (or pedal carts)
Class 33 - shredders, Cromptons (or Cr@ptons)
Class 37 - syphons, growlers
Class 40 - buckets, tats
Class 44, 45, 46 - wagons
Class 47 - spoons
Class 50 - vacs
Class 56 - grids, christmas trees
Class 58 - bones

Class 153 - dogboxes, tin rockets
Class 201 to 207 - thumpers
Class 220 and 221 - vomits

Class 350, 444 and 450 (also class 380 and 700) - doodlebugs (ie built in Germany)

Other nicknames
Sutton to Wimbledon line - Wall of Death

Pinza-C55

Bail - get off a train.
Agex - old people's excursion.
Festoon - anyone loaded with 2 or 3 cameras.
Plastic - any unrequired loco.
Rancid - as above.
Baglet - female basher or (rarely) basher's girlfriend.
"My Lords!" - moment of intense pleasure.
Bellow - slightly more intense pleasure.
Caped - Train cancelled.

Last edited:

GW43125

Established Member
Bail - get off a train.
Agex - old people's excursion.
Festoon - anyone loaded with 2 or 3 cameras.
Plastic - any unrequired loco.
Rancid - as above.
Baglet - female basher or (rarely) basher's girlfriend.
"My Lords!" - moment of intense pleasure.
Bellow - slightly more intense pleasure.
Caped - Train cancelled.

Flail-waving your arms wildly three feet out of a droplight window

Calthrop

Established Member
The Stockport to Stalybridge parliamentary service is known as the Denton flyer or Stalyvegas flyer

Found it interesting to see this name -- brought to mind a book by Stuart Maconie about "doings in the hills" chiefly in the north of England, where he mentions this same nickname for Stalybridge. He ventures possible explanations: "a correspondent of mine lives hereabouts. She tells me that seen from the train or the road, the twinkling lights of the hill town evoke Nevada's tacky desert jewel. This is cute but most people think that the name also reflects Stalybridge's wild, mad, hedonistic, rough diamond feel."

Pinza-C55

Found it interesting to see this name -- brought to mind a book by Stuart Maconie about "doings in the hills" chiefly in the north of England, where he mentions this same nickname for Stalybridge. He ventures possible explanations: "a correspondent of mine lives hereabouts. She tells me that seen from the train or the road, the twinkling lights of the hill town evoke Nevada's tacky desert jewel. This is cute but most people think that the name also reflects Stalybridge's wild, mad, hedonistic, rough diamond feel."

Likewise
Cas Vegas - Castleford
Ponty Carlo -Pontefract

Status
Not open for further replies.