• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Place names that you're not sure how to pronounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Some names from the West Midlands that I have hear pronounced incorrectly on radio and TV.
Cradley and Cradley Heath is pronounced Cray-dley not with a short 'a'. These two adjacent places were in different counties and the railway station used to be Cradley Heath and Cradley but is now just Cradley Heath.

Two suburbs of Birmingham Lozells and Nechells pronouned Low-zells and Nee-chells respectively not Loz-'uls and Nech-uls

As I am originally from the West Midlands, another place name that can throw non-natives regarding pronunciation is (although no railway station there) is Brewood in Staffordshire (between Wolverhampton and Stafford).

It is actually pronounced as "Brood" and not as two syllables in "Bre-wood".

Nymanic

With relatives based in Morecambe, I came to learn Heysham's proper pronunciation by default, without ever questioning it. When studying nuclear power generation in school, I took pride in correcting my GCSE Geography teacher's pronunciation... not that anyone else cared.

Wymondham is a curious one. It's thanks to amended Liverpool-Norwich services in the nineties (engineering, perhaps?) that I got to hear of this town's existence. Seeing a Class 158 to "Windham" pull up at Piccadilly with "Wymondham" on its display was peculiar.

Fast forward to today, and the (American) company I work for has a global directory of all its offices, including one in "Wynmondham". It appears to have been misspelt on our records for years :rolleyes:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
had a ride to leeds from doncaster the other day on a 331 courtesy of the northern 10p tickets and was dissapointed that adwick was said wrong over the PA , it shoud be pronounced A -Dick ( the W remaining silent ) ,the guards never used to get it wrong :)
Dodworth is another that the PIS gets wrong in South Yorkshire. It should be "Dodd'uth".

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Marylebone (London) is one - Marylebone is sometimes pronounced like this - Marlebone or
Marylebone: Marilibone.

I'm not sure what the correct pronunciation is on this one.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Marylebone (London) is one - Marylebone is sometimes pronounced like this - Marlebone or
Marylebone: Marilibone.

I'm not sure what the correct pronunciation is on this one.

I always believed it was the second of those but with the 'bone' elided to roughly 'bun' - so Mar-ih-lih-bun'

trebor79

Established Member
With relatives based in Morecambe, I came to learn Heysham's proper pronunciation by default, without ever questioning it. When studying nuclear power generation in school, I took pride in correcting my GCSE Geography teacher's pronunciation... not that anyone else cared.

Wymondham is a curious one. It's thanks to amended Liverpool-Norwich services in the nineties (engineering, perhaps?) that I got to hear of this town's existence. Seeing a Class 158 to "Windham" pull up at Piccadilly with "Wymondham" on its display was peculiar.

Fast forward to today, and the (American) company I work for has a global directory of all its offices, including one in "Wynmondham". It appears to have been misspelt on our records for years :rolleyes:
Lots of good ones to confuse non-natives to East Anglia.
Costessy - Pronounced "Cossy". Always a few sniggers when someone gets on a bus asking to go to "Costessy".
Ixworth - "Ickwuth"

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Marylebone: Marilibone. I'm not sure what the correct pronunciation is on this one.

We've done this one a couple of times over the years. I pronounce it 'Marralabone', but I've heard it pronounced various other ways.

Peter Bonner

We've done this one a couple of times over the years. I pronounce it 'Marralabone', but I've heard it pronounced various other ways.
One rather similar in Scotland is Burntisland.
Is it Burnt-island? Or Burntis-land?
Or different in a scottish accent?

Gareth

Established Member
Bryn: heard it pronounced both "breen" and "brin".

Then there's Mythmryoyd or Mrhyroyld or whatever it is. I can't even spell it, let alone pronounce it.

Glenn1969

Established Member
And Sowerby Bridge too. or "Sorby Bridge"

My-thum-royd has also been heard for the above

We also have the non rail served village of Barkisland which is definitely Bar-kisland

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It’s more of a My-thum-royd really.

That's pretty much what I meant, but it's difficult to convey phonetics without using the IPA as different people tale slightly different pronunciations from the same spellings but the 'e' in 'them' is a shorter than sound than the 'e' in bet and 'them' seemed the closest approximate.

bramling

Veteran Member
And Sowerby Bridge too. or "Sorby Bridge"

My-thum-royd has also been heard for the above

We also have the non rail served village of Barkisland which is definitely Bar-kisland

I've never really got Sowerby Bridge, as locals seem to say it both ways.

Another one which seems to vary is Alnmouth. Outwardly I'd have thought "All-muth" sounds logical, but there seems to be several other variations including "Al-muth" and a particularly flamboyant "Alan-muth". Any ideas which is right, if any of them?! At least Alnwick seems to be fairly clear cut, yet to further muddy the waters its pronunciation doesn't seem to transfer to Alnmouth!

urbophile

Established Member
At least Alnwick seems to be fairly clear cut, yet to further muddy the waters its pronunciation doesn't seem to transfer to Alnmouth!

Well it's Annick, if you call that being clear cut. It's not the obvious pronunciation to my mind.

Barnoldswick, which hasn't been on the rail network for many years, always throws non-locals who put the stress on the first syllable. It goes on the second. (That's when you're being posh; if you are a real local it is Barlick.)

transmanche

Established Member
Another one which seems to vary is Alnmouth. Outwardly I'd have thought "All-muth" sounds logical, but there seems to be several other variations including "Al-muth" and a particularly flamboyant "Alan-muth". Any ideas which is right, if any of them?! At least Alnwick seems to be fairly clear cut, yet to further muddy the waters its pronunciation doesn't seem to transfer to Alnmouth!
Alnwick seems to be odd one out here.

Most people seem to pronounce the river name as something close to A-lan or A-luhn, with the stress on the first syllable but barely a gap between the two syllables (IPA /ˈæl(ə)n/). Alnmouth follows this, but is definitely 'mouth' and not 'muth' (IPA /ˈæl(ə)nmaʊθ/).

Status
Not open for further replies.