• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Platforms which have no trains scheduled to call there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LC2

Until relatively recently there were still rugby specials that terminated in Platform 2, but I'm sure when I was last at Twickenham (last year sometime, I was drunk, so I may have imagined it) the platform edge had all been fenced off with 2.5m steel palisades so I don't think it will be long before the track comes up.
As they appear to have been re-laying the track into P2 (and taking up the track into P1), I wonder if the plan is to run Rubgy Specials into P2 for the big matches in the future, rather than disrupt the normal scheduled services.
A shame it wasn't available for the Rubgy World Cup.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Platform 3 at Bridgend, previously mentioned, will be hosting a shuttle to and from Maesteg over the holiday period due Engineering work.

I know it is not National Rail but does the middle Tram platform at East Croydon (possibly Platform 8) have any Trams scheduled to use it?

Eastern Nat

How about Manningtree plat 4 which on outside of down island.
It not accessible from Harwich branch.
I have used it in past whilst changing trains at M'tree from Harwich to Ipswich but
suspect it in use due to work on line closer to London.

Crossover

Established Member
I can't see anything down as calling at Marsden platform 2 on RTT

Good shout - it is another situation similar to Mirfield P2 and is used by passing TPE's only

I don't know why I wrote Sheffield, I meant Scarborough P1 :oops:

Used by the EMT London services when they run. I believe all five of Scarborough's platforms see services to some extent.

The EMT has always been on P2 whenever I have used it, with the exception of when they ran the HST which did use 1. TPE's do sometime use P1 too.
I think P1 is used the most for railtours as the platform is incredibly long in comparison to the others

LowLevel

Established Member
A shame that bay isn't long enough to hold a 156 (or pair of 153s), then the Crewe - Derby services can go into there rather than blocking platform 2.

Doesn't that get used by the 2038 Shanklin to Ryde St Johns Road service, then the unit can go direct into the depot?

Platform 5 at Derby is long enough for 2 X 23m stock. The only restriction is 1/3 2/3 door trains (IE 170s) have to open their doors on the platform 4 side due to a large gap with the platform curvature. It is used regularly for this on a Sunday.

As for Skegness, platforms 2,3 and 4 are presently in use. 2 is contingency or non passenger only as it has no lighting and a poor surface (though it's been used by a passenger train in the last few months owing to a points failure). 3 was the standard platform but seems to have fallen out of favour to platform 4 of late (3 has had significant drainage issues). 5 is 'temporarily' out of use due to track/signalling faults (and has been for several years) and 6 and 7 are permanently out of use (signals aren't lit anymore etc).

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The EMT has always been on P2 whenever I have used it, with the exception of when they ran the HST which did use 1. TPE's do sometime use P1 too.
I think P1 is used the most for railtours as the platform is incredibly long in comparison to the others

Fair enough - when I did the EMT service (it was a couple of years ago granted) we went into p1 and that was a 7-car 222, but I suppose it could have changed since.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
No. The Up Fast (P4) at Leyland has an hourly departure and the Down Fast (P3) also has a small number of departures.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Platform 1 at Taunton (the west/south-facing bay on the down side) doesn't get much use- only used if there's a blockade north/east, possibly not even then nowadays.

Class 66's

Rugby Bay Platforms. I've only ever seen a 92 and VTWC Thunderbird locos stabled there, however I don't visit often, so may be wrong. Platforms 3a and 3b?

83G/84D

Established Member
Platform 1 at Taunton (the west/south-facing bay on the down side) doesn't get much use- only used if there's a blockade north/east, possibly not even then nowadays.

I don't think this is able to be used by scheduled passenger services for quite some time.

gazr

No booked passenger services at all.
It's rigged up for stopping trains in case of possessions etc.
The only time in all these years I have caught a train from platform 1, was the Sunday London Bridge opened! I think platform 5 was closed that weekend, so they used platform 1 to avoid congestion with stopping trains on platform 3.

Hither Green Platform 1 will see use due to engineering in the near future. I made a note of it, but can not find the date(s) off hand. Edit: March 05, 2017 is one date!! Also thought there may be one or two rush hour trains M-F that stop?

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
I have never seen a train awaiting passengers on platform 1 at Manchester Oxford Road station. If any do use that platform, I would be interested to know what they are.

There is an evening peak Blackpool or Barrow service which is booked to use platform 1.

Has anyone offered up platform 3 at Penrith?

gazr

Platform 3 at Sandbach. It's on the Freight line to Middlewich.

Not sure if this one was answered, but there is one early morning service from Crewe (M-F) that stops- booked 5 min wait to let Cardiff-Manchester pass.

bramling

Veteran Member
Biggleswade is used by the Peterborough fasts, for example:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G45092/2016/12/15/advanced

Similar to St Neots:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G45110/2016/12/15/advanced

------------

In case it hasn't already been mentioned, There is a bay platform at Huntingdon which doesn't see that much traffic, just one train a week is booked (going by RTT), the 09:33 Huntingdon - Kings Cross on Saturdays.

In the same area, how about the fast line platforms at Brookmans Park, Hadley Wood, New Barnet, Oakleigh Park and New Southgate. Haven't had time to check RTTT to see if there's the odd train booked to call, but I suspect they're probably engineering works or emergency only - especially the first two.

In the same area, how about the fast line platforms at Brookmans Park, Hadley Wood, New Barnet, Oakleigh Park and New Southgate. Haven't had time to check RTTT to see if there's the odd train booked to call, but I suspect they're probably engineering works or emergency only - especially the first two.

I might be wrong but i think the fast line platforms at those stations have a few services late at night and on weekends.

Trackman

Established Member
Hither Green Platform 1 will see use due to engineering in the near future. I made a note of it, but can not find the date(s) off hand. Edit: March 05, 2017 is one date!! Also thought there may be one or two rush hour trains M-F that stop?

Nothing at all booked for Platform 1.

Thanks for the heads up about the engineering works, Only Platform 1&2 in operation that Sunday.
Engineering works today, nothing from P1 though.

gazr

What about parts of platform? Was at Colchester today, and the bit of P4 to the buffer stops looks very unused. No way is this a run-off, so why is it kept?

Status
Not open for further replies.