• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Redundant railway infrastructure built post WW2

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
What was at Elland?
A coal-burning power station with associated sidings. Back from when we had more, smaller plants (there was one at Ravensthorpe too) rather than fewer large ones (Gascoigne Wood, Didcot, Ironbridge, Drax). Now we've largely moved beyond that approach too, with even the ones that remain mostly burning biomass.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

billio

The Headfield branch linking the L&Y branch to Dewsbury Market Place with the GNR main line through the town was opened in 1887 and closed in 1933. This line was re-laid in 1965 to provide access to the Dewsbury Goods Depot when the ex-GNR route from Ossett to Dewsbury and Batley was closed. The re-laid Headfield branch closed in 1990 and is now a footpath and cycleway.

Journeyman

Established Member
Does the street level building at Bury Bolton Street count? Built in the fifties, and made redundant in the early eighties when Bury Interchange was built. Returned to use in preservation, of course.

telstarbox

Established Member
London Bridge was rebuilt in the 1970s and then rebuilt again in the 2010s. I'm not sure how much lasted from one to the other but nearly everything except the brickwork looks new...

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
London Bridge was rebuilt in the 1970s and then rebuilt again in the 2000s. I'm not sure how much lasted from one to the other but nearly everything except the brickwork looks new...

That's an interesting one. Given that at one point there was a giant hole where the station used to be, almost the entire 1970s station has disappeared.

ashkeba

Established Member
That's an interesting one. Given that at one point there was a giant hole where the station used to be, almost the entire 1970s station has disappeared.
The 1970s "temporary" concourse at King's Cross has also gone.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Birmingham Snow Hill platform 4, disused after diversion of the trams
Interesting. Presumably completely re-built in 1987 when Snow Hill reopened, although I'm guessing that you'd still need most of it for the adjacent Platform 3 (part of the up side island platform) to be there.

Might Platform 4 ever be re-instated for heavy rail now that Midland Metro trams no longer terminate there?

David Goddard

Established Member
Interesting. Presumably completely re-built in 1987 when Snow Hill reopened, although I'm guessing that you'd still need most of it for the adjacent Platform 3 (part of the up side island platform) to be there.

Might Platform 4 ever be re-instated for heavy rail now that Midland Metro trams no longer terminate there?
Yes this was all new in 1987, and most needed for P3 but if someonehad wanted the former Metro tracked for something then part of the platform width may have gone as well.

I have seen it mentioned that platform 4 may be reinstated at some point- if the additional services to Moor Street come to fruition they might need to push some of the services that use the bays there through to Snow Hill, so to have 2 & 3 for terminators and bring back 4 for through services on the up.

Man of Kent

The 1986 station at Bathgate and 1989 station at Drumgelloch, both single-platform termintating stations, were demolished and replaced by two-platform through stations when the line between the two reopened in 2010.

Ramsline Halt opened in 1990 to serve the Baseball Ground, then home of Derby County FC... who promptly moved to Pride Park in 1997 leaving it redundant. The station was apparently only served by four trains in its existence.
The 1986 Bathgate station wasn't demolished, as the through line is on a different route. The latter turns to the south west, whereas the terminus was around 250m north west of the current Bathgate station. Can still be seen on Streetview (https://goo.gl/maps/rfrCbnLzQXhwuk8YA - 2011) and a visit last year confirms that the platform is more or less intact.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The 1986 Bathgate station wasn't demolished, as the through line is on a different route. The latter turns to the south west, whereas the terminus was around 250m north west of the current Bathgate station. Can still be seen on Streetview (https://goo.gl/maps/rfrCbnLzQXhwuk8YA - 2011) and a visit last year confirms that the platform is more or less intact.

So it's not a case of "Bathgate station no mowa" (to mis-quote The Proclaimers).

Ken H

On Moderation
The infrastructure put in for Selby mine, and also the vale of belvoir one near Melton Mowbray.

DB

The infrastructure put in for Selby mine, and also the vale of belvoir one near Melton Mowbray.

Of the six mines, only Gascoigne Wood was rail connected as that was where the coal from all of them was brough to the surface. Although most of the buildings and loading equipment has been demolished, the large transfer shed remains - now used for storing gypsum - and the yard retains most/all of its sidings - they are currently being used for storing out of use passenger stock.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Isn't some of the Melton infrastructure in use as a support centre for the Old Dalby test track?

There was a colliery near Glenrothes, and possibly others elsewhere, built but never opened because the water inflow was too much to pump out. I don't know if they got as far as building rail facilities though.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
In 1988, a temporary third platform was built at Port Sunlight station to allow a number of steam-hauled specials to run to and from Stork Margarine Works over the May bank holiday. Passengers were not allowed to alight at the other end. I did the trip twice.

A temporary station at Amlwch was also built in 1992 but only saw a very small number of special trains in 1992 and 1993. Passengers were at least allowed to alight.

On the Llangollen Railway, Corwen East station was opened in October 2014, closed in November 2018 and dismantled in early 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.