• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: shortest possible journey that can be made on each TOC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prod_pep

Established Member
For scotrail would ardrossan town to harbour be shorter than central to Argyll st? Can't be much in it.

RTT shows Ardrossan Town to Harbour as 38 chains but Central to Argyle Street as 28 chains. Certainly close, however.

Merseyrail's two shortest runs are around 25 chains in the form of James Street to Moorfields (24.8 to be precise, if my maths is correct) and Wallasey Village to Wallasey Grove Road which shows as 25 chains on RTT. Honourable mention goes to Walton to Orrell Park at 30 chains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Anybody have suggestions for Thamslink/Great Northern? Will Cambridge North/Cambridge be a candidate?

marks87

Established Member
Caledonian Sleeper: Dunblane to Stirling

Incorrect as you cannot join at Dunblane and alight at Stirling and vv (pick up only both stops southbound, and set down only both stops northbound)

For Caledonian Sleeper, it'll be between two stations on the WHL, where it acts as a day train.

Roy Bridge to Spean Bridge (3mi21ch)?

Liam

Established Member
For Caledonian Sleeper, it'll be between two stations on the WHL, where it acts as a day train.

Roy Bridge to Spean Bridge (3mi21ch)?

I was going to say Newtonmore to Kingussie at 3m61ch, but it appears it is set down only at Newtonmore, then pick up and set down from Kingussie.

Trainfan344

Established Member
For scotrail would ardrossan town to harbour be shorter than central to Argyll st? Can't be much in it.

Ardrossan town to Harbour shows on Rail Mileage engine as 38 chains, with Central LL to Argyll St being 28 chains.

Merseyrail: Walton to Orrell Park.

Disregard. I was guessing and didn't see the post above. Prod_pep is correct.

Last edited:

Richard_B

From rtt GWR Devonport to dockyard is 37 chains but Exton and Lympstone Commando 36 chains

kermit

Not a current entry, but did any service stop at both Manchester Victoria and Manchester Exchange? If so, surely we have an all-time winner!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Anybody have suggestions for Thamslink/Great Northern? Will Cambridge North/Cambridge be a candidate?

Cambridge North-Cambridge is around 2 miles or so.

Shortest will probably be something like Drayton Park-Highbury & Islington.

Foxton-Shepreth will also be in with a shout.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Can anyone remind me how to check for chains etc using RTT?

I'd vote for Alderington to Hove and Hamble to Netley.

pemma

Veteran Member
Haymarket to Edinburgh is 1 mile 19 chains i'm afraid ;)

Whoops, yes.

VTEC/VTWC/XC: Edinburgh Waverley to Haymarket
Northern/TPE: Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Oxford Road
Scotrail: Glasgow Central Low Level to Argyle Street
Caledonian Sleeper: Dunblane to Stirling

As already mentioned Deansgate to Oxford Rd is shorter than Piccadilly to Oxford Rd. Liverpool to Norwich services call at both Oxford Rd and Piccadilly but none of the posts I've seen suggest that as the shortest EMT journey, even though it's 20 chains shorter than Qwerty133's suggestion.

EMT: matlock bath-cromford??

pompeyfan

Established Member
Thanks for that, my Hove suggestion comes in at 39Ch

Woolston to Sholing is 47ch

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Can anyone remind me how to check for chains etc using RTT?

... Hamble to Netley.
Using RTT
Hamble - Netley is a winner at 54 ch
Bitterne - St Denys is close at 57 ch
Lymington Town - Pier just a bit further at 58 ch

But I didn't spot Woolston to Sholing in there, because its chainage is completely different in the other direction, at least using my misreading - :(

Mileages are shown in the left hand column of RTT when viewing an individual service, but I'm on a PC and it might be device dependent - it isn't on the iPhone display of the same info for instance.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Merseyrail has got to be Wallasey Grove Rd to Wallasey Village

How does that compare to journeys between central Liverpool stations? As the city centre loop is currently closed it's not possible to find the number of chains between stations on RTT.

Dr Hoo

Established Member

I was wondering what, for each TOC, is the shortest journey possible, by distance.

I'll leave the rest for others...

Not on a planned or scheduled basis of course but I can remember cases when units have been booked to combine/attach (especially in slam door days and when things were a bit more relaxed) when passengers joined the rear unit as soon as it arrived and stopped around four feet short of the leading set. Train then moves forward and tries to couple but this is unsuccessful and fault 'transfers itself to leading unit'. Train then cancelled and passengers decanted, at which point some abort journey and do not wait for subsequent train.

Status
Not open for further replies.