• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: shortest possible journey that can be made on each TOC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I presume that Heathrow Connect and Heathrow Express would probably both be either T123 to T4 stations or T123 to T5 stations. Although thinking about it Heathrow Connect might possibly be between Hanwell and West Ealing stations or between Ealing Broadway and West Ealing stations.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
What's the Chainage from South Gyle to Edinburgh Gateway and Huyton to Roby?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not on a planned or scheduled basis of course but I can remember cases when units have been booked to combine/attach (especially in slam door days and when things were a bit more relaxed) when passengers joined the rear unit as soon as it arrived and stopped around four feet short of the leading set. Train then moves forward and tries to couple but this is unsuccessful and fault 'transfers itself to leading unit'. Train then cancelled and passengers decanted, at which point some abort journey and do not wait for subsequent train.

That's cheating! :lol:

Wouldn't have thought there'd be that many unsuccessful couplings in slammers though... no TMS to throw the toys out of the pram!

southern442

Established Member
Southern would probably be Newhaven Harbour to Newhaven Marine :) Strictly speaking though, you can't actually make that journey, so something like Whyteleafe to Whyteleafe South, Anerley to Penge West, or Newhaven Town to Newhaven Harbour.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
What would cause an unsuccessful coupling? Lack of steam heating? Power?

Problems could become apparent when the jumper cables were connected, e.g. Driver <-> Guard communication system defective.

When the Class 455s were first introduced on the South Western, which were amongst the first with automatic electrical coupling in my experience, the 'drum switches' IIRC seemed prone to give trouble. (Yes, I know that they weren't slammers themselves but very much in the era when doors were not always kept locked until coupling had been completed.)

al78

Established Member
Horsham to Littlehaven
Wivelsfield to Burgess Hill
Crawley to Three Bridges
Horley to Gatwick Airport

There will be a lot of towns and cities with suburban stations that are very close together.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Horsham to Littlehaven
Wivelsfield to Burgess Hill
Crawley to Three Bridges
Horley to Gatwick Airport

There will be a lot of towns and cities with suburban stations that are very close together.
How long would it take to get from Horley station to Gatwick Airport by road?

tsr

Established Member
More short Southern ones:
Horsley-Effingham Jn (obviously also for SWT)
North Dulwich-East Dulwich
Anerley-Penge West (also for LO)
New Cross Gate-Brockley
East Croydon-South Croydon
+ a number of short hops on some of the Coastway services - some of those around Brighton-Worthing spring to mind

tsr

Established Member
How long would it take to get from Horley station to Gatwick Airport by road?

Longer than you'd imagine. Leave 10mins off peak, depending on traffic lights and terminal. Could be longer in the rush hour, and very lengthy if the M23 is shut and causes congestion.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Longer than you'd imagine. Leave 10mins off peak, depending on traffic lights and terminal. Could be longer in the rush hour, and very lengthy if the M23 is shut and causes congestion.
Actually I'm not surprised. Even 15 to 29 minutes wouldn't have surprised me.

Last edited:

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
I reckon I can best all comers with this one.

St Budeaux Victoria Road to St Budeaux Ferry Road.
Distance (as the crow flies), the width of a small road.
By train; to/from Plymouth, or occasionally a connection at Devonport. This would not qualify, except that on Mondays to Fridays there is a direct train, departing Victoria Road at 1803 and arriving Ferry Road at 1825. The fare is £13.00!!!

That has to be the most expensive / mile journey it is possible to make on the UK rail network on one train.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 88

Strathclyder

Established Member
For Scotrail, Duke Street to Alexandra Parade (North Clyde Line) is 27 chains.

This beats both Summerston to Maryhill (Maryhill Line) and Glasgow Central Low Level to Argyle St (Argyle Line), both of which come in at 28 chains, by a sliver.

Last edited:

al78

Established Member

You don't need to go via the M23. There looks to be a route possible heading west through Horley to get to the A23, then head south to Gatwick. Still a very indirect route, and likely very slow.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Shotton High Level to Hawarden Bridge, on the other side of the River Dee, is just 36 ch.

Status
Not open for further replies.