• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations in line of sight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thebaz

You can sometimes make out Cheam platforms from Sutton in good conditions, but you can see the trains in there in any conditions. Several people have mentioned Anerley-Penge West and I'm sure you can also see Penge West from the down platform at (Syden)'nam.
Balham from Wandsworth Common to my mind is possible if you stood at the end of the down end of the island platform?

giblets

You can sometimes make out Cheam platforms from Sutton in good conditions, but you can see the trains in there in any conditions. Several people have mentioned Anerley-Penge West and I'm sure you can also see Penge West from the down platform at (Syden)'nam.
Balham from Wandsworth Common to my mind is possible if you stood at the end of the down end of the island platform?
Ha, was literally just about to post the opposite, Sutton from Cheam!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Widnes and hough green, liverpool south parkwat ftom wrst allerton, huyton and roby, lime street from edge hill just about....

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I noticed recently that you can clearly see Denham from Denham Golf Club (and vice versa) as long as it is a clear day and it is during the daytime and was wondering if there are any other stations like this? Stations such as seeing London Kings Cross from London St Pancras and seeing Catford from Catford Bridge dont count. I am looking for stations on the same lines. I cant think of any others but i am sure that there are some more?

Officially there are 72 chains (about four fifths of a mile) between the two stations but it's probably a bit closer if you measure between the two extreme edges of the platforms closest to each other, and it's dead straight so It doesn't even need to be that clear really. You can easily see one from the other at night as the station lighting is very visible.

On a clear day you can see the arch at Wembley Stadium from the platform at Denham Golf Club, that's ten miles by train but probably only seven or eight as the crow flies.

Status
Not open for further replies.