• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Stations "Named" after People

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Another post deals with Ince and Elton Station.

It could be said that this is named after two people with football connections: (Paul) Ince of Manchester United and Elton (John) of Watford. Can anyone else think of stations with similar names and connections (they don't have to be football)?

:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
Porthmadog.

Named after William Madocks, who, in 1810, built what is now known as The Cobb to carve agricultural land from the peninsula of the Afon Glaslyn.

P.S. But as far as I know, there's no truth in the rumour that Hull Paragon was named after the head of the ancient Humberside Ragon family ;)

Last edited:

hounddog

Gordon Hill (ex Manchester United and England winger).

When Mr Hill was player/manager of Northwich Victoria FC in the 1980s his team played at Enfield FC whose fans took great delight in pointing out the connection. The visiting fans found it quite amusing too.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Marylebone:

Apparently after a Ms Mary Le-Bone who I read was a squeeze of one of the grandes toupee's of the Great Central.

stut

Established Member
Hook, as we all know, was named after Abu Hamza
(Teddy) Sheringham
(Kim) Appleby
(Arthur) Dent
(Felicity) Kendal
(Otis) Reading (yes, I know)
(Ben) Dover Priory

stut

Established Member
Richmond

Richmond.jpg

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Moses(') Gate?
(Angus) Deighton?
Both St. Helens stations?
(Chris, former Huddersfield Town and Southampton legend) Marsden?
New Pudsey (bear)?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Definitely need a 'Like' button!

Last edited:

stut

Established Member
Alnmouth for Alan Whicker
(Les) Gray(s) after the singer from that band that sang Tiger Feet. I forget their name.

Last edited:

mirodo

Boxhill and Katehumble
Beau, Jeff and Todd (work it out...)

swcovas

Probably every "Llan" station in Wales as Llan is usually (not quite always) followed by the name of a saint.

Port Talbot named after local landowners, the Talbot family. Similarly before it was renamed Cardiff Bay the station was Bute Rd, the Butes being responsible for much of the coal and steel development in S Wales.

herschell

This may be slightly cheating but Montrose after the Marquis of Montrose as it would be technically correct as that's where the town got it's name I believe

johnnychips

Established Member
Since at least half of people's surnames are named after places, this could be a long thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.