• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Stations named for things which no longer exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
How many stations in the UK are named after things which no longer exist? I know in Scotland that there is no longer a waterfall at Falls of Cruachan because the source of the falls was blocked by a dam in the sixties as part of the construction of a hydroelectric power station, and that Singer railway station in Clydebank doesn't serve the Singer factory any more as it was knocked down donkeys years ago. More famously (I guess) Wembley Park station on the London Underground doesn't serve Wembley Park any more because somebody decided to build a massive football stadium on the land where the park once stood.

I'm sure there are dozens more examples, some debatable (Crystal Palace being the obvious one) and I guess lots of them will be contained in more urban areas where stations tended to get named after nearby landmarks but some must be more interesting than just being named after a hotel or pub which has since closed down.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Old Roan station was named after the pub which is next to the station, which is now closed.

dk1

Veteran Member
Shippea Hill was named after a local potato farm. No idea if it's still there. The lady farmer added 'Hill' as people in those days believed potatoes grown on a hill where of superior quality. The whole area is flat Fenland for miles.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 & 3. There being no Terminal 1 any more.

Are there still barracks at Burnley Barracks?

Wigan North Western: The London & North Western Railway hasn't existed for a long time (see also: Belfast Central)

Besses o' th' Barn: Don't think the brass band exists any more...

Tile Hill: Tiles are no longer manufactured in the area (although that manufacturing may pre-date the railway anyway!)

fgwrich

Established Member
St Budeaux Ferry Road. I'm pretty sure there's no "Ferry Road" in the area and the Tamar Ferry hasn't operated since the opening of the Tamar Bridge.

randyrippley

Established Member
There hasn't been a temple at Templecombe since the Knights Templar were disbanded in the early 1300's

DelW

Established Member
Woolwich Dockyard and Woolwich Arsenal
Dagenham Dock
Dudley Port

There are quite a few where both the place and the station are named after something which no longer exists.

thenorthern

Established Member
G-Mex Metrolink was still named that for many years after the venue had become Manchester Central.

St Helens Junction isn't on a junction any more and neither is Burscough Junction.

Wigan North Western - the London and North Western railway doesn't exist any more.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Rowlands Castle is named after a castle which was abandoned as long ago as the 15th century although a few ruins still remain.

InOban

Established Member
Connel Ferry Stromeferry and IBM on Weemys Bay line - fairly sure IBM aren't there any more.

thenorthern

Established Member
Haymarket I don't think sells hay anymore although I suppose thats the name of the area.

Teesside Airport serves (well in theory anyway) Durham Tees Valley Airport.

Redcar British Steel, not sure if the steel works is still open but it's certainly no longer owned by British Steel

It is owned by British Steel as the company name has been resurrected. :D

Not sure about the current state of the steel works though as I think British Steel want to reopen it.

BelleIsle

King's Cross. It went years ago. I suspect most of the places with Eleanor Crosses count as well.

Taunton

Established Member
Large number of Victorias.

She hasn't been with us for well over 100 years.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
There is the obvious one - Berney Arms. Pubs shut.

There is Pontefract Monkhill, I can't find any monks that lived on a hill although I would have thought Pontefract Castle may have been a better name for the station. Tanshelf is named after a little village which has since becomed sucummbed into Pontefract. Unsure about Baghill.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
IBM on Weemys Bay line - fairly sure IBM aren't there any more.

Even though IBM are still based there the site was sold off to Highcross and then to Canmoor, and is now a general business park called Valley Park.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Bat & Ball. Pub long gone sadly.

Sevenoaks- the original trees were lost in '87 storm.

Clock House- the stately home long gone, though the s curve to avoid its land is a reminder

Kent House- another lost mansion.

Crystal Palace- obvs

Woolwich Dockyard- long gone

Woolwich Arsenal as above.

Vauxhall- named after the lost pleasure gardens

Martin Mill- the windmill it is named after was destroyed in the 60's

High Brooms- renamed from Southborough in the 20's after the huge High Brooms brick works which closed in the 60's.

Last edited:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Anywhere with "Chester" in the name is probably named after a Roman camp.

I understand that the Romans left about 1,600-1,700 years ago.

Notwithstanding the efforts of archaeologists not many of the camps really cut it these days.

eastdyke

Established Member
There is the obvious one - Berney Arms. Pubs shut.

The Pub still exists. OK it is currently shut agreed, but there are frequent efforts to re-open it. Wikepedia suggests that the station was a condition of the land sale that allowed the railway to be built.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Anywhere with "Chester" in the name is probably named after a Roman camp.

I understand that the Romans left about 1,600-1,700 years ago.

Notwithstanding the efforts of archaeologists not many of the camps really cut it these days.
But the railway station is named for the settlement not the camp, so surely that's not applicable in this thread.

I was also thinking that this would(n't) apply to the Victoria stations - except that London Victoria wasn't named for the Queen, but for the reason that it was located on Victoria Street (which, I assume was named after VR!)

johnnychips

Established Member
The Pub still exists. OK it is currently shut agreed, but there are frequent efforts to re-open it. Wikepedia suggests that the station was a condition of the land sale that allowed the railway to be built.

OT, and the rich Berney family it is named after is pronounced "Barney".

Status
Not open for further replies.