• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations on our railway network which are closed but the platforms still exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffield

Established Member
Culloden
Tomatin
Mulben
Errol
Perth Princes Street
Duddingston
Morningside Road
Craiglockhart
Rutherglen (main line)
Wishaw South
Thornhill
Holywood
IBM
...are the ones I can think of in Scotland, in addition to Eglinton Street and Partickhill mentioned above. There may be a few more besides.

<pendantry>IBM doesn't count - the thread title is *closed* stations. IBM has not gone through the formal closure process and the service is merely suspended until an unspecified future date. :E

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

urbophile

Established Member
St James (not to be confused with James St) on Merseyrail's Northern Line. It was closed over 100 years ago but the platforms are still in situ though much overgrown. I think the track has been realigned since then so if the station is reopened (as fervently hoped by many) they would probably have to be completely rebuilt.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
The platforms aren't there at Glasgow Cross, the bricked up staircases end in mid air.

Many thanks for that mention.

Somebody I know who once worked for the former Strathclyde Regional Council many moons ago saw the plans for the eastern flank of the motorway box that was mentioned in the Bruce Report. The drawings had shown that the former platform at Glasgow Cross would be used for the pillars to support the elevated motorway above.

As the eastern flank of the motorway box would have meant demolition of the buildings from the Provand's Lordship (believed to be the oldest house in Glasgow) down the High Street to the Tollbooth Steeple at the Cross, needless to say this section of the motorway box was never built. The western flank from Tradeston (link to the Renfrewshire Motorway) to St Georges Cross was built (which enabled the former slum buildings in Anderston to be demolished), as was the northern flank from St Georges Cross to Townhead to link with the Monkland Motorway. The southern flank would have ran from the vicinity of Gorbals to Tradeston, which would have had the present day M74 from Carmyle cutting across Glasgow Green (the Winter Gardens and Peoples' Palace were in the way) linking up with the box at Gorbals. Although the southern flank was eventually constructed, this was on a further southerly alignment passing through Rutherglen, Eglinton Toll, and linking with the M8 west of the Kingston Bridge.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Down Street (Picc.)
Brocklesby (Lincs)
and (freight trains only) Maltby SY.

nuneatonmark

Coton just north of the new Bermuda Park station on the Nuneaton to Coventry line. Not sure if the platform is still there for Foleshill.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Lowton Junction, between Parkside & Golborne Jn
Remains of the rather low platforms still exist, although largely covered by vegetation.

alistairlees

Established Member
Does Spa Road (there are some remnants of one of the platforms) count? And, if so, is it the one that wins the prize for closed longest (in 1915 apparently)?

vlad

Greatham, on the Durham coast.

Ramsline in Derby, even though the track adjacent has been removed.

Last edited:

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
The ones that I know of are:
  • Limpley Stoke (between Freshford and Bath Spa).
  • Elsham (between Scunthorpe and Habrough).
  • Brocklesby (again between Scunny and Habrough).
  • Goldsborough (between Harrogate and Knarsborough)
  • Burton Agnes (between Driffield and Bridlington)
  • Cargo Fleet (between Middlesbrough and Saltburn, no idea if the platforms are still there though as the last time I passed through was in 2014).

Last edited:

SJDCornwall

Wilton South up platform,
Dinton up platform
Semley both platforms
Milbourne Port both platforms
Sutton Bingham up platform
Chard Junction up platform
All of these on the Salisbury Exeter Railway. All closed 6th March 1966.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've thought of another one - doesn't at least one platform from the original Partick station still exist?

billh

Mottram Staff Halt, with lamp posts?
Diggle, still got the water tank for troughs?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think Alves still has at least one platform. It has been a while since I was out that way, but I remember Orbliston Junction still had as well. I remember seeing that it still had a nameboard when I was a kid, although it maybe long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.