• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations on our railway network which are closed but the platforms still exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MadMac

Beattock, yes! Cumberland Street, pass. I walked the Sunnyside Basin line in 2013 (as part of the Motherwell North Signalling Renewals scheme) and don’t recall passing any extant platforms then.

Thinking about the Sunnyside one, it was probably part of the bridge rather than a platform. Few others:

Glasgow Green
Cameron Bridge?
Cobbinshaw?
Mauchline?

thenorthern

Established Member
Carnforth main line platforms are still intact (sort of) but were closed in 1970.

There are quite a few on the Settle and Carlisle line such as Culgaith, Long Marton and Cumwinton.

Springs Branch

Established Member
I haven't been along the Atherton line for a couple of years, but last time I did the platforms were still visible at Pendleton.

Further west along the Atherton line, still in Salford, the double track railway still separates around the former island platforms at long-closed Pendlebury and Irlams o' th' Height stations, although I think there's little trace of the platforms left at either.

childwallblues

Established Member
Norton Bridge platform is still there, just! In relation there's also Wedg(e?)wood and Barlaston (though their status as "closed" is up for debate).

Ditton on the North side of the Mersey still had platforms (and even nameboards) last time I went through.

Yes the platforms are still there but I have not seen any name boards. I will look again next time that I pass.

driver_m

Established Member
No boards at Ditton anymore. You can add the old Upton platforms (replaced by Bache) near Chester, Castlethorpe on the southern end of the WCML still has substantial amounts of platform in situ and there's an island platform at Hatch End on the mainlines, (DC lines ones in full working order.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
St Leonards West Marina down platform still exists, as does the up island platform for Polegate's second station (resited in the 1980's)

Both of Folkestone East's platforms exist, as well as one of the island platforms for Westenhanger Racecourse.

Lydd town has a platform on the Dungeness branch (if we're counting freight only lines) as does Brookland, albeit the now lifted loop used to run through it.

Dougal2345

Ampress Works on the Lymington branch.

There's still a sign of some kind fixed to the fence on the platform, but the trains rattle through so fast that I've never been able to read it.

It would make a useful stop for Lymington Hospital, which is currently a long unpleasant slog alongside a busy road from the Town station.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Calvert; and the line is still open. Is it Castlethorpe between Wolverton and Roade Junction where the platforms lie unused for decades?

Southsider

Thinking about the Sunnyside one, it was probably part of the bridge rather than a platform. Few others:

Glasgow Green
Cameron Bridge?
Cobbinshaw?
Mauchline?
There are probably some remnants of Shields Road but I haven't looked in passing for quite some time.

Llama

Established Member
The Oaks, north of Bolton near Bromley Cross.

Someone posted Baguley Fold, the station was actually Park.

Saddleworth platforms partially remain, platform edges are not there though.

cuccir

Established Member
The platforms for Gateshead West, closed in 1965, can still be seen on curve to the south of the High Level Bridge, used by the trains travelling to/from the ECML or the Tyne Valley to Newcastle station via that bridge.

Stuart-h

Would Swanbourne count? Even though the line is mothballed / or in the stages of being sorted.

d9009alycidon

Highlandspring

Established Member
Glasgow Cross, between the present day Argyle Street and Bridgeton (which also has Glasgow Green along this section of route too).
The platforms aren't there at Glasgow Cross, the bricked up staircases end in mid air.

Status
Not open for further replies.