• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations served more by other TOCs than the managing one

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Which stations have fewer calls by the TOC that manages them than a completely different TOC?

For example:

Havant - managed by SWR (3tph each way), served most by Southern (5tph each way)

St Leonards Warrior Square/Hastings - managed by SouthEastern (2tph each way), served most by Southern (4tph each way)

Cheltenham Spa - managed by Great Western Railway (1.5tph each way), served most by CrossCountry (3tph each way)

Retford/Wakefield Westgate - managed by LNER (0.5tph/2tph respectively each way), served most by Northern (2tph/3tph respectively each way)

Newport - managed by Transport for Wales (2.5tph each way), served most by GWR (4tph each way).

Severn Tunnel Junction is similar on a less significant scale.

Preston/Carlisle - managed by Avanti West Coast (2tph) but served more by Northern

York - managed by LNER (2tph each way + 1tp2h starts here) but served more by Northern and just beaten by TransPennine Express (3tph)

Reigate on Sundays - managed by Southern (1tph start here), served most by GWR (2tph each way) If you consider GWR run 4tph in total on weekdays due to it being a 2tph through service while Southern run 2tph only northbound, it counts on weekdays and Saturdays too.

If you forget they’re the same TOC, Thameslink are also the majority provider of services to Earlswood, Salfords, Horley and Balcombe, which are Southern managed stations, and offer 6tph vice 2tph at Three Bridges, and 4tph vice 2tph at Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill.

I’m not interested in stations where the managing TOC doesn’t call at all, like Lockerbie by ScotRail and some stations that CrossCountry solely serve. For it to count, the managing TOC does have to call, just less than another one. :)

As the timetables have been all over the place since COVID, I’m going off the December 2019 pre-COVID timetable here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stamford, Oakham and Melton Mowbray are managed by East Midlands Railway but they only call at the stations 2-3 times a day. CrossCountry provide an hourly service.

pdq

Cottingley. Managed by Northern, but all but a handful of the 1tph services are TPE.

Timmyd

A number relating to the Overground down here - Crystal Palace (Pre-Covid anyway), Norwood Junction and West Croydon would have more Southern than Overground. Denmark Hill is managed by Thameslink but has move Overground trains. With the current reduced timetables, Herne Hill - managed by South Eastern - and Tulse Hill - managed by Southern - both have more Thameslink trains.

Isn’t Burton on Trent managed by EMR but almost wholly served by Cross Country?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Cottingley. Managed by Northern, but all but a handful of the 1tph services are TPE.
Similarly, Batley. Managed by Northern, served by 2tph most of the time, 1 Northern and one TPE... but the Northern services start later, finish earlier, and don't run on Sundays. Mirfield is much the same, and currently missing the Northern service to Castleford.

Ravensthorpe goes one step further, managed by Northern but served almost entirely by TPE.

Last edited:

JaJaWa

Established Member
If you forget they’re the same TOC, Thameslink are also the majority provider of services to Earlswood, Salfords, Horley and Balcombe, which are Southern managed stations, and offer 6tph vice 2tph at Three Bridges, and 4tph vice 2tph at Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill.
Gatwick Airport is Gatwick Express managed / branded despite not being the primary provider but yes technically the same TOC too

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
Lockerbie is managed by Scotrail but has no Scotrail services. I think that staff from Dumfries look after it.

gledhill56

Similarly, Batley. Managed by Northern, served by 2tph most of the time, 1 Northern and one TPE... but the Northern services start later, finish earlier, and don't run on Sundays. Mirfield is much the same, and currently missing the Northern service to Castleford.

Ravensthorpe goes one step further, managed by Northern but served entirely by TPE.
Slaithwaite, Marsden, Greenfield, Mossley. All managed by Northern but only served by TPE.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Lockerbie is managed by Scotrail but has no Scotrail services. I think that staff from Dumfries look after it.
No East Midlands services at all since the withdrawal of the direct Burton-St Pancras HST.
Slaithwaite, Marsden, Greenfield, Mossley. All managed by Northern but only served by TPE.
You’ll find these don’t meet my criteria then if you read the OP.
I’m not interested in stations where the managing TOC doesn’t call at all, like Lockerbie by ScotRail and some stations that CrossCountry solely serve. For it to count, the managing TOC does have to call, just less than another one. :)

As the timetables have been all over the place since COVID, I’m going off the December 2019 pre-COVID timetable here.
:)

Caboose Class

Ravensthorpe goes one step further, managed by Northern but served entirely by TPE.
Ravensthorpe still has a few Northern services, but Slaithwaite, Marsden, Greenfield and Mossley (all managed by Northern) are entirely served by TPE.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Have we had Dunbar? Managed by Scotrail, but on a weekday, only five of the 34 calls at the station are Scotrail services.

XC have 12 calls on a weekday, TPE have nine calls, and LNER have eight calls.

Revilo

Claverdon and Bearley only served by a few request WMT services (and none at the moment). Most services run by Chiltern.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes it is, but that scenario - the local TOC running a station that’s primarily XC - was excluded by the OP.

There’s one of my local stations, Swanwick, that gets twice as many Southern as SWR calls.

Last edited:

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Possible exception being Newark Northgate. Might be others.
I would agree with Newark - only a sporadic EMR service. Pre Covid and leaving aside Kings Cross, Peterborough has 3 LNER, 1/2 EMR, 1 XC, 2 TL and 0/1 Anglia per hour, Grantham 2 LNER, 2 EMR and a patchy Hull Trains service, Retford has 0/1 LNER, 1 (sometimes 2) Northern and Hull Trains, Doncaster has 3 LNER, 5 Northern, 1 XC, 1 TPE and irregular EMR, HT and Grand Central), Wakefield Westgate has 2 LNER, 3 Northern and 1 XC, stations York and north thereof probably have around 1/3 of total services operated by LNER.

pdeaves

Established Member
I think you will find most stations managed by LNER have more services provided by other operators.
Without checking, I suspect that is/was true of most 'intercity' stations. Though, thinking aloud as it were, I suppose there's not many pure IC TOCs left now.
Ravensthorpe still has a few Northern services, but Slaithwaite, Marsden, Greenfield and Mossley (all managed by Northern) are entirely served by TPE.
That's interesting; do you know when they were last served by Northern, please?

mrd269697

Lockerbie. Operated by Scotrail, none of their services call there.

Never mind. Just fully read the title.

Parallel

Established Member
Alnmouth is managed by Northern who only provide 2tpd but is served more by all of CrossCountry, TPE and LNER.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Think it was the disastrous May 2018 timetable change.

Didn't Northern still run a couple peak time extra services post that timetable change with those services getting dropped later on?

Worcester Shrub Hill, served more by GWR services (hourly from Paddington plus the 2 hourly ones from Bristol) than West Midlands services. At least during the day

Lemmy99uk

I remember asking my line manager why it was that Carlisle and Preston station were managed by Virgin despite Northern running more services.

He told me that the original station allocation was based on axle count and not on the number of services.

Would be interesting to know if that holds true throughout the network.

pdeaves

Established Member
I remember asking my line manager why it was that Carlisle and Preston station were managed by Virgin despite Northern running more services.

He told me that the original station allocation was based on axle count and not on the number of services.

Would be interesting to know if that holds true throughout the network.
That's an interesting method. 'Originally' (depending on how far back in time you go!) they were InterCity stations because they were big and important, as befits a big important sector, and the allocation remains through subsequent operators. IC got the pick and Regional Railways got the rest.

paddy1

Rugby - managed by Avanti WC but served mainly by LNWR. Stafford - managed by Avanti WC but majority of trains served by LNWR and XC.

Caboose Class

Attached is a list of TOCs and number of Stations owned / managed.

Attachments

• TOC v Owner.xlsx
    9.1 KB · Views: 77
Status
Not open for further replies.