• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations that sound nice but really aren't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
On this thread:

...we have had a bit of discussion of station names that sound nice but aren't, I felt this deserves a thread of its own.

Flowery Field (and Primrose Hill) were suggested by @LNW-GW Joint (the former actually a fairly run down housing estate in east Manchester), while @duesselmartin suggested Cherry Orchard in Dublin.

Anyone got any more?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
Meadow Well on the Tyne & Wear Metro.

Lovely spot!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Forest Gate on TfL Rail - sounds lovely but on more than one occasion I've run into some undesirable characters.

Barnsley

If we can have closed stations, I'll say Brightside, platforms still there, the only difference from when it was open is the shelters have been removed

Manors - a very grand sounding name but rather an anticlimactic station!

DB

Belle Vue is anything but.

Many towns have a road called Belle View, and/or Mount Pleasant. They are normally not as described by their name!

Berry Brow

Ah come on, it's highly picturesque with those low-rise tower blocks next to it! In fairness you can be in open country five minutes' walk away.

The place naming seems rather confused round there - Berry Brow is at the bottom of the valley, when Brow would normally indicate on a hill, whereas nearby Netherton (nether of course means lower) is on the top of a hill.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Blackpool (both North and South). There's sadly no sign of the entire resort having fallen into a pool of black fetid water.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Conversely, Battersby Junction sounds like a soot blackened mill town - but really isn't !

CC 72100

Established Member
Mantes-la-Jolie sounds like a textbook French village.*

It isn't. It's the single biggest collection of rough suburbs about 30 miles west of Paris.

*Also applicable to Chanteloup-les-vignes on the same line.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Mantes-la-Jolie sounds like a textbook French village.*

It isn't. It's the single biggest collection of rough suburbs about 30 miles west of Paris.

*Also applicable to Chanteloup-les-vignes on the same line.

Villeneuves-St-George sounds like some sleepy rural village with a pretty church. It's actually the main TGV Sud-Est depot in suburban Paris.

Gare Du Nord in Paris sounds grand enough in French but its just dreadful, Andy Street had it right when he described it as the Squalor pit of Europe, and I live near Euston and Kings Cross.

It was my one and only time in Paris. Just a dump, why it has a 'romantic' tag is beyond me.

507 001

Established Member
Gare Du Nord in Paris sounds grand enough in French but its just dreadful, Andy Street had it right when he described it as the Squalor pit of Europe, and I live near Euston and Kings Cross.

It was my one and only time in Paris. Just a dump, why it has a 'romantic' tag is beyond me.

I think you must have been to a different Paris to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.